Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by czmcdaniel
our old studio had a rule that we were not allowed to post dates or locations of competitions publicly until we were already there....i guess there was fear some "rivals" would show and cause issues.... I never questioned - just followed the rule! 

We had the same rule at the toxic studio we left in 2012 and I thought it was paranoid and ridiculous.  Where we're at now we get the schedule with all competitions and dates at the beginning of the school year in August.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom

Kids in athletics have to keep up their grades if they compete for their school, but not if they compete privately (if that's possible).

Very possible.  Our area has plenty of private travel hockey, gymnastics, cheer, diving, swimming, and volleyball clubs.  Because they are private, each may set its own membership rules (subject to minimum standards of the larger governing body). 
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom

Kids in athletics have to keep up their grades if they compete for their school, but not if they compete privately (if that's possible).  The common bond is the school, and the money that school receives to train that athlete.

Dance is paid for by the parents.

Don't get me wrong.  I have a straight A student who is also training to be a lifeguard and has a part-time job.  She cut back on dance so she could fit it all in because in this house, the grades are important.  They're not everything, but they're important.  We let her make the balance decisions entirely on her own, but if she hadn't gone in that direction, we would have steered her there.  That's a parents job.  But I have to add that her studio has been an unexpected source of support for her.  She laid it all out to them.  They offered her whatever numbers she wanted, and whatever number of numbers she wanted, and once she made her decision, they not only accepted it, they gave her a great and unique training schedule that has propelled her toward a successful year all round.  Without that help, something would have had to give.  I can't express how much we've appreciated that.

But I'd still like to spit out my Kool-Aid if one of the SO's tried to give me parenting advice.  

Truth!  Ours once asked "what's wrong with getting a 'B'?" because she wanted them at the studio more.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
If an SO is crazy enough to step into the arena of academic grades, I'd prefer it be through positive ways. For example, a free recital costume for all As, or a gift certificate at a local dance store.

Studios that want to encourage academics could join the National Honor Society of Dance Arts. DD's previous studio offers this.

http://nhsda-ndeo.org/content.aspx?page_id=0&club_id=661544
changole

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
One of the three main teachers, and probably the SO herself, would talk to the parents/family breaking the rule. There would be a warning chat... followed by language along the lines of don't dance here anymore.

Dress code, even, is huge, and the teachers are not shy about calling out a kid in class. Standards, rules, and expectations are especially enforced on company students.... where being on time is late!!
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
I guess I am not as bothered by the grades standard in a studio as others.   When the girls were competing the SO expected them to have a C average or better, but left it up to the parents to let her know if someone was struggling.   I dont know if anyone ever did.  If they are participating in Dance, Cheer or Drama in the Jr High or High School they have to maintain a certain GPA so I think it goes hand in hand.   
LittleMonkeyMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Our comp team rules are pretty simple:

-- Max of 5 absences per year
-- No bullying
-- No posting pictures/video of dances or costumes on social media until the first competition 

Our comp contract states that dancers may be removed from any or all competitions for infractions of the above rules, or for being unprepared for competition.

We did have an issue one year with someone posting video of dances in progress on social media, so the SO stopped allowing parents in to videotape, and set up a private facebook group where she could post video for the kids to practice with, but that wouldn't allow anything to be shared.

We really don't have a big issue with any of these rules not being followed, probably because there aren't a ton. [smile]
disneymom2two

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceTumbleCheerMom
I guess I am not as bothered by the grades standard in a studio as others.   When the girls were competing the SO expected them to have a C average or better, but left it up to the parents to let her know if someone was struggling.   I dont know if anyone ever did.  If they are participating in Dance, Cheer or Drama in the Jr High or High School they have to maintain a certain GPA so I think it goes hand in hand.   

Maybe it's because I struggled so much with math or because I teach special ed that I have an issue with a studio outside of school determining the acceptable grade.  Even with hours of extra help, advanced math never made sense to me, still doesn't.  
MajorBrad

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #34 
We have a 38 page "contract" we have to sign with a million rules (like how many ballet classes per week are required, code of conduct for parents and students, late payment fees, etc.).... it is all bunk. Nothing is enforced. Our top soloists barely attend ballet. (We are in Wisconsin, so "top" is a laughably relative term.) A couple parents don't even pay for stuff... just because our SO doesn't want them to leave. Not fair. This is our last year at this crazy, huge studio. We are going try something smaller with more integrity.
DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Our studio has pretty basic expectations/rules.  Kids must wear black leos and apporpriate tights for the class along with required footwear. (if any) Girls are not allowed in audience at recital and must wear team warm ups at comp when not dancing. No walking around with costuems showing.  Our SO does not like photos of costumes or song titles shared before comp season starts.  We are not supposed to post videos but that one is just hard to enforce. Dancers must have good attendance . Our studio is very good about supporting kids nvolvement in other activities to a point. (particulary things like Nutcracker etc.}   Both kids and parents are expected to show respect for others and refrain from gossip.  Overall it is a reasonable and nice environment to be in.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.