Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So, I am wondering what kinds of rules exist at other studios and, how are they enforced? We have a list, but it is pretty typical stuff, dress code, basic respect, privacy. Problem is, they don't really get followed or enforced. It was never an issue before now, but we have a family that just keeps blowing them to pieces to promote their kid. They have shared comp dates outside the studio (to get people to attend to watch the kid), posted dances on social media (not pictures or clips, full dances), etc. How would your studio handle this? To some, these may not seem like a big deal, but we have another local studio that is quickly chipping away at our student base, and if we went head to head at a comp, I think it could cause even more. This family has publicized comp dates to the extent that I am sure the other studio knows when/where we are going. I am not sure our S/O is aware. We are also having issues with girls following basic dress code, as in, don't come to practice in a leo and tights. What happens at your studio when this happens?
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We don't really have any rules. We have expectations, but that's about it.

Kids are expected to show up to class, prepared to work. We are expected at all three competitions. We are asked not to share videos of dances until after the competition season is over, but several do.

There don't seem to be many consequences for us, because the expectations are pretty reasonable.

But I do wonder why anyone would be upset that someone advertised which comp they were at and when. I would love if someone said, "hey! Studio XYZ will be at this location at noon. Come show your support for my DD and her team!" Seems kinda nice, but maybe I'm just super naive.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Until this post, I was completely unaware that it would ever be a problem to share with anyone when and where a studio is competing. They are public events, I don't know why it would be an issue. Many of our dancers and their families share on social media when they will be competing and also share the livestream whenever possible so friends and family can enjoy the performances. After dances are performed, it's also no issue to share videos, we have no rules prohibiting anything like that.

As far as dress code, our ballet teachers enforce a standard ballet dress code. Other classes have a very relaxed dress code, occasionally dancers will be asked to remove a layer if teachers feel it is interfering with seeing the lines, but especially for hip hop, our oldest dancers sometimes look like hobos. DD recently attended classes at a professional studio with professional dancers, and hobo-chic was definitely the standard look there, even in ballet classes. The studio was already so hot, I don't know how they were spending hours sweating in sweats, flannels, and beanies!
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Okay, the hobo bit made me LOL. I assume the no sharing comp dates was in our rules due to the other studio in town approaching our girls at a previous comp. I also thought the social media rule was pretty standard to protect choreography until the season is over.
Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We are told not to post videos or costume pictures until after the first competition.

Only ballet requires Leo and tights. Other classes are pretty lax other than no jeans except for hip hop.

I share days when my daughter is dancing on FB so friends and family can see her if they are in the area. Last year we danced at our local high school. I posted on our school FB site and 20 of her friends and parents of friends came and watched and cheered her on. Several joined our studio after that.

I guess it is when the family posts comp dates. Usually the ones we perform in, payment and registration is 45 days in advance. If the family posts a week before then the other studio cannot register for the competition.

dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I have to say it's pretty easy to find dancers to recruit via social media. Just because this studio knows where your dancers are competing doesn't really matter. I think the biggest issue is why these dancers are being lured away not how.
czmcdaniel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
our old studio had a rule that we were not allowed to post dates or locations of competitions publicly until we were already there....i guess there was fear some "rivals" would show and cause issues.... I never questioned - just followed the rule! 
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
dancermom128, that is a good point. Admittedly, our studio has some things to work on.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My guess is that you won't lose *all* your dancers; only the ones who respect the studio, want to work hard, and show basic dance etiquette.

RULES:

- Strict class leos & tights for all classes (ballet, jazz, etc).
- "Dance appropriate" attire for rehearsals (can be class leo, but they usually change or borrow).
- Hair up, and neat.
- No bragging etc over the dances you're in, or complaining of a part you did not get.
- Any absence must be pre-arranged (excluding illness).
- No unauthorized photo/video of class or rehearsal.
- If you buy a video at a comp, it's now your video.

And ... yes, please do tell friends and family when and where you'll be competing!

Honestly, the rules are very seldom broken, the threat of losing a role in a dance is real.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer
Dance is a small world and it WILL get back to the SO if your behavior is unbecoming. You never know, you might one day be dancing with the person or studio you were just calling names or making fun of. Soooo, BE POSITIVE!

So very true!
dancer1234

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
at our old studio, there were some rules about attendance and Timeframe to be at Competitions (1 to 2 hours ready to dance before scheduled performing time) and who was responsible for your dance at what point for the competition  (Parents up until the point the dance went backstage with the CD)... IE.. the teachers/CD did not want to be responsible for getting them ready or hair or makeup.

Nothing was ever stated about social media or telling others about upcoming performances or competitions.  CD and Teachers were always posting things on social media or dances

At the new studio the only rules I have seen,  1. Strict black leos & pink tights for all classes (ballet, jazz, etc), except Hip Hop  2. No talking bad about any other studio 
dancedivasx2

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Strict rule of no posting videos of group or solo until last competition. No posting of costumes. We have many people watching our girls Social Media. Really, the girls will not hesitate to "Rat" the person out. They want to protect their choreographer and team. Competition dates not an issue no one really cares.... You can look at the last year results and see who may attend.
Rebelina

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Our rules mainly consist of the attendance policy (at least 90% attendance), school grades (all school grades are turned in each quarter/semester and must be a "C" or better), appropriate behavior at comps, comp attendance, etc. If anyone is not meeting expectations they do not compete at the next comp and an understudy takes their place.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelina
Our rules mainly consist of the attendance policy (at least 90% attendance), school grades (all school grades are turned in each quarter/semester and must be a "C" or better), appropriate behavior at comps, comp attendance, etc. If anyone is not meeting expectations they do not compete at the next comp and an understudy takes their place.

I love the school grade part!
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I love both the grades and use of understudies so enforcement is possible.
disneymom2two

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

I'm glad our studio doesn't have that rule.  I think that should be up to the parent.  If my kid did poorly at something they were capable of doing better at in school, I'd pull them but I know that no matter how much tutoring I received, how much extra time I put in, I did not understand Algebra 2 when I was in high school and was very happy to get a D- instead of the F my grades earned.  The teacher gave me a few points for effort to raise me to the D- since he knew how hard I was trying.  When my son brought home his highschool math homework, I was thankful he inherited my mom's math gene because there's no way I could have helped him (although, if he needed it, I would have hired a tutor of course).
disneymom2two

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #17 
We don't have a lot of rules.  You're allowed two absences that weren't preapproved without a doctor's note.  Absences the week prior to competition aren't allowed with out a doctor's note.  No sharing of costume pics or dance videos before the first competition.  Leotard and tights are required for ballet except for spirit weeks.  Crop tops, tank tops, booty shorts, leggings are fine for other genres as long as they're in the studio colors.  Hair is in a bun for all genres except hiphop; a ponytail is allowed for hiphop.  The bun is supposed to be a sockbun but they will slide on that as long as it's neat.  
mom2dancinboyngirl

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:

I think its actually quite "Big Brother"/Draconian and I would never agree to that rule. I hate it and feel terrible for the child that might be unfairly penalized by that rule [frown]

I take my children to a dance studio to learn to dance. It is not their place to decide what grades they need to have to participate in a competition. That's my job to decide. I have one excellent, honor roll student (grade 9) and one (grade 7) who struggles with all her might just to get her grades to the C/C+ level. If she had to get all Cs or better she wouldn't be able to dance.... and that's ridiculous in my opinion. As long as she is trying with all her might, and getting a good evaluation on the Learning Skills and Work Habits page (All Good or Excellent), then why should she be penalized in an area that has nothing to do with her school grades? 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Standard rules at our studio - respect for DT and classmates, if you have an issue address it with the SO, strict dress code for ballet, a little less strict for other classes but must still be dance attire, must attend all comps, must stay for all awards, limited absences allowed but no specific number listed.

I too would have a problem with the studio dictating what grades my child had to achieve.  They are not the parent.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
DD took some classes at a comp studio where it was always a secret where they would be competing, even from other families at the studio.  At the time, DD was considering joining a competition team and we were interested in seeing them in action.  Comp studio was trying to avoid competing directly with another local studio.  It was common for dancers to leave for the other local studio, but I have to say the other studio was not recruiting, they were just organized and had better technique.  The comp studio was always worried about people sharing video.  They resurrected old choreo frequently (along with props) and the choreo frequently "honored" Broadway and Rockette productions (in great detail.)
Rushhourmom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #21 
Studios who are so afraid of competition that they keep their activities (aside from choreography) a secret are really not businsss savvy and terribly misguided. Rarely have I seen recruitment efforts at comps. It's HEAVILY frowned upon. The dancing alone and the way a studio conducts itself speaks for itself. If a studio is losing students they best ought to sit down and really consider what they are doing wrong and fix it. If the conclusion they come to is that they aren't being secretive enough or keeping their dancers secluded enough then they are a sinking ship.

The studio's we've been involved with all have had various inconsistently enforced rules. Standard stuff. The inconsistent or nonexistent enforcement seems common but is super annoying to those of us who are rule followers.

kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I'd like to see a rule that outlines what is the SO's responsibility, and what is the parent's responsibility.  Things like determining whether a child dances due to their grades is a parent's responsibility.  

Frankly, SO's who say they know what it's like to be a parent because they're with them so many hours a week makes me choke on my kool aid.  It's equivalent to me saying I could dance a lead role in the Nutcracker because I've sat through so many rehearsals and performances that I know the part by heart.   I do not know how to teach dance.  You do not know how to parent my child.  Let's get the roles straight and work together to create a growing, competent and confident human being. 

Our HS dancers have just come through exams.  DD was speaking with a teammate/schoolmate who dances 5 days a week and has 11 routines this year including 2 solos and a duet.  Her average is in the high 60s (which is a bare pass in the school they both go to).  To me, that screams that this kid needs to spend more time on her studies.  But I'm not her parent and not a peep will pass my lips about it.  None of my business.  And none of the SO's business either.  It's up the parents.  Period.  
Rushhourmom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
But I'm not her parent and not a peep will pass my lips about it.  None of my business.  And none of the SO's business either.  It's up the parents.  Period.  

Yep and SOs often take their cues from parents and parents will do crazy stuff that sends the clear message that dance comes before school.

Has anyone tried to change a contract or strike our or add in parts? I can't bring myself to complain about dress code violations or kids missing class regularly or who show up late to call times but all those little things add up and undermine the entire business model and culture of a studio. I am always tempted to line out the parts I know are never enforced each summer when we get new contracts and see how they would respond.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:

Technically, our studio also has a similar (softer) requirement: GPA of "C" or above, at least for the highest level classes.  I don't know that it's ever been enforced.  They do not collect report cards, and many of those dancers are home schooled ... I'm sure the state has some sort of progress report requirement, but I'm not sure what it looks like. 

The "average" lets a student off the hook if for some reason they can't grasp one particular subject.  Though cutting out (or temporarily down on) dancing from near 20 hours a week to something less demanding does leave a lot of time (and maybe money) for tutoring.

What I like about the rule is that similar to athletics, I see a number of dancers who think they're going pro.  And in truth I have seen many who have!  But very few of them do not also work side jobs, and in general their careers are not long.  And of course there are many more who don't make it, whether due to talent, interest, bad luck, or injury.  So if the studio wants to make sure that they are graduating well rounded dancers who maintain some sort of GPA that ensures a HS Diploma, I'll not fault them.

If dancers or parents don't like that rule, and choose to spend their time & money elsewhere, then that's also fine.

kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:

Technically, our studio also has a similar (softer) requirement: GPA of "C" or above, at least for the highest level classes.  I don't know that it's ever been enforced.  They do not collect report cards, and many of those dancers are home schooled ... I'm sure the state has some sort of progress report requirement, but I'm not sure what it looks like. 

The "average" lets a student off the hook if for some reason they can't grasp one particular subject.  Though cutting out (or temporarily down on) dancing from near 20 hours a week to something less demanding does leave a lot of time (and maybe money) for tutoring.

What I like about the rule is that similar to athletics, I see a number of dancers who think they're going pro.  And in truth I have seen many who have!  But very few of them do not also work side jobs, and in general their careers are not long.  And of course there are many more who don't make it, whether due to talent, interest, bad luck, or injury.  So if the studio wants to make sure that they are graduating well rounded dancers who maintain some sort of GPA that ensures a HS Diploma, I'll not fault them.

If dancers or parents don't like that rule, and choose to spend their time & money elsewhere, then that's also fine.

Kids in athletics have to keep up their grades if they compete for their school, but not if they compete privately (if that's possible).  The common bond is the school, and the money that school receives to train that athlete.

Dance is paid for by the parents.

Don't get me wrong.  I have a straight A student who is also training to be a lifeguard and has a part-time job.  She cut back on dance so she could fit it all in because in this house, the grades are important.  They're not everything, but they're important.  We let her make the balance decisions entirely on her own, but if she hadn't gone in that direction, we would have steered her there.  That's a parents job.  But I have to add that her studio has been an unexpected source of support for her.  She laid it all out to them.  They offered her whatever numbers she wanted, and whatever number of numbers she wanted, and once she made her decision, they not only accepted it, they gave her a great and unique training schedule that has propelled her toward a successful year all round.  Without that help, something would have had to give.  I can't express how much we've appreciated that.

But I'd still like to spit out my Kool-Aid if one of the SO's tried to give me parenting advice.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.