Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
hsealover

Avatar / Picture

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 131
Reply with quote  #1 
How early do you expect to receive some kind of schedue from a dance competition? (AN OUTLINE)

We're having a hard time contacting/getting a response about a schedule for this weekend's competition, just wanted to be sure we weren't being unreasonable!

Thank you!

UPDATE: The director finally emailed us back, he's considering the possibility of changing to just Saturday(this is an issue because of local proms though). However, it sounds quite small and it also kinda sounds like he may be considering cancelling at this point. This is getting ridiculous.

UPDATE: We now officially have an outline as of Tuesday evening. This is crazy! DD will end up being there from 6:30am-11:00pm at the very least if it runs on time(and if the detailed schedule ends up following the outline). Considering how much he jam packed into one day, I think it will probably run behind, but they're known for running on time. We shall see! I don't see us doing this competition again in the future due to some issues we've had the past week or so with communication. Thanks everyone for letting me vent a little, lol! I will keep you posted.

UPDATE: Its Friday morning, still do not have a real schedule.
UPDATE: We ended up not even going. I don't know if the comeptition of cancelled or if DT pulled thei dances. We don't know the full story yet. I'll let you know when I find out.
0
dave9988

Avatar / Picture

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 506
Reply with quote  #2 
If you are inside of a week, I do not think that's unreasonable.  Especially if travel is involved, and a potential Friday call time.
0
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,549
Reply with quote  #3 
It's not unreasonable to expect a schedule week before hand. Not a detailed schedule with exact times for your dancer. But a "skeleton" schedule that lists each category and the times they will dance. For example, Junior Intermediate Solos will dance between 12 and 5 on Saturday afternoon.

Some comps are great at communicating schedules and some are not. VIP, Revolution and Nexstar usually issue schedules early. Who are you waiting on?
0
hsealover

Avatar / Picture

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 131
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
It's not unreasonable to expect a schedule week before hand. Not a detailed schedule with exact times for your dancer. But a "skeleton" schedule that lists each category and the times they will dance. For example, Junior Intermediate Solos will dance between 12 and 5 on Saturday afternoon. Some comps are great at communicating schedules and some are not. VIP, Revolution and Nexstar usually issue schedules early. Who are you waiting on?


Next LeveL. Sounds like we may be going somewhere else at this point? Not sure. Kinda getting a little stressed, lol!
0
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,095
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
It's not unreasonable to expect a schedule week before hand. Not a detailed schedule with exact times for your dancer. But a "skeleton" schedule that lists each category and the times they will dance. For example, Junior Intermediate Solos will dance between 12 and 5 on Saturday afternoon. Some comps are great at communicating schedules and some are not. VIP, Revolution and Nexstar usually issue schedules early. Who are you waiting on?


You are much more accepting than I.  I want a detailed time schedule which I realize might not be 100% accurate.  I want to know if there are quick costume changes, times for meals (very skinny, picky eater who gets hangry without meals).  I think a week of is the norm - Monday is when we usually see ours.  I would like them early but I know that's a pipe dream.  But we all have lives outside of dance (or at least try to).
0
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,142
Reply with quote  #6 
I know in Canada it is a little different but we have full down to the minute schedules at least 2-3 weeks in advance.  The studio gets a preliminary schedule at 4 weeks out.
0
lotsofdancers

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 73
Reply with quote  #7 
we didn't get final YAGP schedule until Tuesday afternoon and it started Friday morning. 
0
hsealover

Avatar / Picture

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 131
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofdancers
we didn't get final YAGP schedule until Tuesday afternoon and it started Friday morning. 


The thing is, we didn't even know WHAT DAYS the competition would be running! That's crazy!
0
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,457
Reply with quote  #9 
I feel your pain! Waiting on Starquest right now. According to our studio, they are REFUSING to give even a preliminary breakdown before tomorrow, which is 6 days ahead of time. The kicker is that I work evenings, and if I'm not working, I don't get paid. Starquest in Minneapolis is a 5 day comp, and often runs over 800 entries. I had to take Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday evening off because we have no idea when the kids will dance. I'm hoping I'll be able to fill my schedule out on such short notice so I only have to take off the time I actually need off! Good luck with Next Level!
0
gandalf

Avatar / Picture

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 908
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsealover
UPDATE: The director finally emailed us back, he's considering the possibility of changing to just Saturday(this is an issue because of local proms though). However, it sounds quite small and it also kinda sounds like he may be considering cancelling at this point. This is getting ridiculous.


You kinda answered your own question... The raeson that Comps wait so long to publish there schedule is that so many Studios have last minute changes or request. So they cannot simultaneously send you a rock-solid schedule 2 weeks early, and also allow your studio to make changes because of Prom. 
1
hsealover

Avatar / Picture

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 131
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf


You kinda answered your own question... The raeson that Comps wait so long to publish there schedule is that so many Studios have last minute changes or request. So they cannot simultaneously send you a rock-solid schedule 2 weeks early, and also allow your studio to make changes because of Prom. 


That's where you're wrong. I didn't ask for a rock solid schedule 2 weeks in advance. Up until late Tuesday we didn't even know what day(s) the competition would be. Today is Friday, still don't have the schedule and the competition is tomorrow. I've NEVER had a competition wait this long. Not to mention he ignored us for about 4 days, that is unacceptable. He needs to take responsibility for his actions. There's more to the story, but the main issue is the schedule at the moment. You cannot tell me it is acceptable to wait until the day before we're supposed to compete to have the schedule? In less than 24 hours, DD will be on stage. The director also already stated that he is not making any changes, so that is not a factor.
0
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,142
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf


You kinda answered your own question... The raeson that Comps wait so long to publish there schedule is that so many Studios have last minute changes or request. So they cannot simultaneously send you a rock-solid schedule 2 weeks early, and also allow your studio to make changes because of Prom. 


My question then would be how Canadian comps can get their final schedules out at least 2 weeks in advance.  The studio gets a preliminary schedule about a month out and can ask for any changes then.  The dancers/families get the schedule right after that which is always 2-3 weeks in advance.  And it is a rock solid schedule.  Wonder how Canadians manage to do it?
0
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 194
Reply with quote  #13 
We received our detailed schedule for this weekend on Thursday- outline came a few days before on Monday. There were some extenuating circumstances causing the delay this time but we knew at least no Friday and who needed to be there both days early enough.

Good luck tomorrow
0
gandalf

Avatar / Picture

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 908
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsealover


That's where you're wrong. I didn't ask for a rock solid schedule 2 weeks in advance. Up until late Tuesday we didn't even know what day(s) the competition would be. Today is Friday, still don't have the schedule and the competition is tomorrow. I've NEVER had a competition wait this long. Not to mention he ignored us for about 4 days, that is unacceptable. He needs to take responsibility for his actions. There's more to the story, but the main issue is the schedule at the moment. You cannot tell me it is acceptable to wait until the day before we're supposed to compete to have the schedule? In less than 24 hours, DD will be on stage. The director also already stated that he is not making any changes, so that is not a factor.


WHen I said, "you", I did not mean you personally, but the dance community in general. I apologie since it appears I offended you
0
hsealover

Avatar / Picture

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 131
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf


WHen I said, "you", I did not mean you personally, but the dance community in general. I apologie since it appears I offended you


I apologize, I was overly aggressive. I was very stressed and overwhelmed at that point, I think that may have just happened to kinda push me over the edge. I assumed you were talking about me, because you quoted my post.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: