Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
If you pay attention to members and their posts, you'll know my daughters aren't in a studio with a competition focus. We just went to our one and only regional this past weekend.  Fewer than a dozen numbers for the school as a whole, which meant probably half the dances were of the "Production Line"  variety, so as to give as many students as possible a performance opportunity.

One of these was a ballet.  Yes, 28 students at a standard regional comp on stage dancing ballet, maybe 8-10 of whom were on pointe.  Performing a 7 minute piece to ... well
I don’t know the music, but it’s classical, you can’t count to it, and sounds like it should be played in a cathedral during a somber event.  Just totally outside the bounds of the typical competition dance, for so many reasons.  I told a couple of workers at the comp (and parents from another studio), that if you want to see something unique – and hopefully good – watch this piece.

Shortly after their dancing started, the theater began to go silent.  Programs down, phones down, conversation ceased, not a single whoop, cheer, or clap.

Afterwards?  The people I had spoken with all thanked me for giving them a head's up. One said it was one of the most beautiful things she's seen on stage; that at first she was transfixed by the lead dancer, then looked around and didn't see a falling off of talent. (Note: there's a reason they weren't *all* on pointe!)  Her daughter told me that she and her friends were
shocked, asking if what they thought they just saw really happened!  Dancers from other studios approached our dancers for the rest of the afternoon, asking if they were in *that* dance, offering various compliments throughout the remainder of the day.

So yes, they got a very large hunk of plastic.  But my DD14 got an amazing experience, and my wife and I got a priceless memory!

hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
DD had a similar experience this weekend! She competed as an independent with her two solos, one being tap and one being musical theater. Her musical theater isn't very commonly used, not like Roxie or All That Jazz, which we've all seen a million times over and over. She's very theatrical and her solo is HILARIOUS. At awards, she was given the first award (besides adjudications) of the day and she was given a special judges award, Broadway Bound! She performed her solos at 8am and awards were at 12pm, then we stayed until around 6-7pm watching dances, and people were STILL coming up and telling her how hilarious, entertaining, etc. it was! She was so excited! I think people remembered her because the emcee basically interviewed her on stage, she was independent(this usually attracts attention), and her performance is pretty hard to forget.

I'm glad to hear you had such an awesome experience, be proud of your dancers!
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Awesome! Love moments like these [smile]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Congratulations to both of you!  I love these happy stories.  [smile]  I'm sure you're still smiling thinking about them!
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Yay! Great work to the dancers and their choreographers.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
Congratulations to both of you!  I love these happy stories.  [smile]  I'm sure you're still smiling thinking about them!

LOL, I'm just now getting to the point where I can talk about it without crying!

It's funny, I've always felt that it isn't about winning, it's about the experience. But deep down, I have to admit that I've also been nervous at awards because I wanted them to win!  After this number, I truly didn't care what the judges thought.  Their input would be like watching a movie and disagreeing with the local paper's movie critic.  Who cares?!  I knew what I saw, I knew how that performance moved me, and I knew it affected others as well.

dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsealover
DD had a similar experience this weekend! She competed as an independent with her two solos, one being tap and one being musical theater. Her musical theater isn't very commonly used, not like Roxie or All That Jazz, which we've all seen a million times over and over. She's very theatrical and her solo is HILARIOUS. At awards, she was given the first award (besides adjudications) of the day and she was given a special judges award, Broadway Bound! She performed her solos at 8am and awards were at 12pm, then we stayed until around 6-7pm watching dances, and people were STILL coming up and telling her how hilarious, entertaining, etc. it was! She was so excited! I think people remembered her because the emcee basically interviewed her on stage, she was independent(this usually attracts attention), and her performance is pretty hard to forget.

I'm glad to hear you had such an awesome experience, be proud of your dancers!

Congratulations - That has to be a fantastic experience, especially as an independent!!!!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
That's awesome!  What a great experience for your family!
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
So awesome! Thanks for sharing. [smile]
PastrySugar

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I wish I had seen it! Those moments give me life 💓
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
28 ballet dancers onstage at once?? I love that. We rarely see ballet onstage at comps here. It's a shame DDs team does a ballet group but it's always a risk. Sounds like yours was amazing. Congrats!! There are not enough plastic trophies in the world to replace magic moments like that. I'm glad that you got positive feedback from the audience. That is icing on the cake. I encourage anyone who gets to see an amazing dance like this to compliment the dancers. It is a huge deal for them.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: