Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
jennifer211

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I am looking for a positive dance studio in Columbia/Sumter SC area. Most likely we will be living in Sumter but I will be willing to drive to Columbia for the right dance instruction/competitive team. My daughter is use to attending multiple competitive dance workshops throughout the year on our on so we are wanting a very competitive dance studio that supports the industry. Please let me know who is the most competitive in the area! Thank you in advance for your insight! 
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Are you Air Force? I'm asking because I see originally you were moving to TX and now Sumter. So I'm thinking you will be at Shaw AFB in Sumter which is an hour away from the studio my DD attends in Columbia. If you are willing to make that drive every day (and we have families that travel 90 minutes one-way from Florence, SC and Augusta, GA......and have had Sumter kids in the past), then I would highly recommend you check out Southern Strutt.....especially since your DD is turning 9. We have an amazing staff and the main DT for the 10 and under group is extremely gifted in teaching that age. We do many conventions and our SO is extremely supportive if you want to attend additional conventions on your own. Feel free to PM me with any questions! And if you know when you are moving, I can give you our schedule if you want to come see some competitions or performances.
jennifer211

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes, we will be stationed at Shaw and seem to be moving every two years now! My daughter is now 10 and will be 11 when she gets there. I will definitely send you a message about the schedule as its good to know what we can expect from the studio. Thanks
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer211
Yes, we will be stationed at Shaw and seem to be moving every two years now! My daughter is now 10 and will be 11 when she gets there. I will definitely send you a message about the schedule as its good to know what we can expect from the studio. Thanks

You're welcome! And my DD is also 10! Turns 11 in February! [smile]
Erika

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We have been stationed at Fort Jackson and I recommend Columbia City Jazz Company! The training is outstanding! They are a not for profit company and compete head to head with(and often beat) the best out there. Your daughter will not be just another body to back up a favorite group dancers. 

The Southern Strutt is another fantastic school, but we choose Columbia City Jazz. We preferred the individual attention and artistry they had to their choreography. It's really a matter of personal taste and what you want. Honestly, you can't go wrong at either school if you want great training and strong competition. 

Warning, there is a bit of rivalry between the two schools since they are the best in the area. We were there 7 years ago, some things may have changed. 

http://www.columbiacityjazz.com

http://southernstruttdance.com
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
CCJC is great too! There is healthy competition between the two schools and we attend a few of the same competitions each year. We are usually at Jump together in November, so you might want to watch the livestream if you can and check out both studios. Kill two birds with one stone! Many of our dancers are friends. My DD looks forward to seeing some of her friends from there at conventions. Both schools are very focused on their dancers and on their dancers' training so like Erika said, you can't go wrong with either one. It is definitely a matter of personal preference and where you feel the most comfortable! I would say watch the competitions and make an in-person visit to both studios when you get here. It will generally come down to where your DD feels like she fits in the best! 
jennifer211

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Great information on the two studios, thank you! I will look up the jump competition and hopefully we can tune in. Another question, we have thought about living in Columbia and having my husband commute to shaw. Do your girls attend public school or private school? I found some neighborhoods on the east side of SC university that the schools were recommended. Any opinions on the schools (6th grade) would be great. 
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
You're welcome! My DD attends public school....but we are on the northwest side of town so the drive to Shaw would be a good hour from where we are (this is also where Southern Strutt is located). The other good public school district is on the west side of town (about 20 minutes from my area) but is also an hour from Sumter (CCJC is relocating to this area of town).  Those are two of the best school districts in the state. If you aren't in one of those two districts and choose to live on the other side of Columbia, I would look at the private school options. There are really only a few public schools outside of the two districts that I would recommend. And if you decide to live in Sumter, definitely consider the private schools there.
jennifer211

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks for the info. on the schools. You confirmed what we heard, i was just hoping that it wasn't all true! We look forward to our visit in the spring! 
jennifer211

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 

GrThanks for letting me know about the competition. My daughter and I tuned in last weekend. When are the try outs for the team? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer211
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl
CCJC is great too! There is healthy competition between the two schools and we attend a few of the same competitions each year. We are usually at Jump together in November, so you might want to watch the livestream if you can and check out both studios. Kill two birds with one stone! Many of our dancers are friends. My DD looks forward to seeing some of her friends from there at conventions. Both schools are very focused on their dancers and on their dancers' training so like Erika said, you can't go wrong with either one. It is definitely a matter of personal preference and where you feel the most comfortable! I would say watch the competitions and make an in-person visit to both studios when you get here. It will generally come down to where your DD feels like she fits in the best! 
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
So glad you were able to watch! My DD competed one of her solos and two mini groups there. I should have posted here so you could look out for her! Time got away from me!

Auditions for Southern Strutt take place the beginning of June and again in August. But our SO will also do private auditions upon request especially if you are transferring from another studio. I'm not sure about the CCJC auditions.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I've heard great things about both CCJC and Southern Strutt. Good luck!
jennifer211

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
The family will be in Columbia next week to house hunt. My daughter will be at Southern Strutt Thursday night and will join in on a tap and jazz class that evening. We wanted to visit Columbia City Jazz as well but our schedule didn't work out for the night they recommended coming in. The CCJC June intensive sounds amazing so I am sure I will sign up my daughter for the week. Thank you again for all the feedback, we look forward to the move this June! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: