Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthleteArtistDancer
Talent/Interests are only one factor when choosing a college - size of the school, campus culture, other programs offered, presence/absence of Greek life... all that plus your child's particular personality (homebody, adventurous, introvert, busy, quiet, etc.) go into college consideration, same as other kids looking at great schools for engineering or music or medicine.  Your child could be offered scholarship money to schools they have no interest in attending (New York is too far, Vanderbilt is too small, etc).

College dance is a lot like what used to be considered Poms - many teams compete in poms or kick line but avoid the tumbling/gymnastics usually found in cheerleading these days. Scholarships are hard to come by in any arts program -- budgets have been slashed for years and while there are still some funds out there, many have disappeared in the last 10 years. Unfortunately, like most other female-oriented extracurriculars, dancers usually have to pay for the privilege of being on a dance team.

Dance team girls often go on to sports teams like Knicks City Dancers and the Laker Girls. If that's something your DD wants to do, college dance team training is a huge help.  You might start here http://varsity.com/event/schresult/2020/2016_nca_nda_college : these are the final results pages from NDA's Collegiate Nationals that were held this past week.  Dance falls under Team Performance, Hip Hop, Jazz, Pom, and Challenge Cup - Dance (everything else is Cheer): see if there are any schools you recognize and check out their programs directly - you should get much better information that way.  Good luck!!

My dd is currently on a college dance team. They do get a small scholarship plus there's no cost to the dancers for costumes, team clothing, poms, shoes, accessories or travel. Some teams are considered a club or club sport, some are part of the band and some, like my dd's, are through the athletic department. It seems in talking to dancers from other schools that the money is related to what kind of affiliation the team has. The club teams don't seem to get a lot of support from their school. Also look at the schools competing through UDA along with the NDA schools. UDA tends to have the bigger NCAA schools and that might lead to more scholarship opportunities as well as financial backing for the teams
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpeanut

DD is a junior looking at programs like this (BA or BS in dance science, dance and kinesiology, etc.) Could you share which school you know of developing that program? We are looking for any possible leads before narrowing down her list by fall. Thanks!
Penn State
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpeanut

DD is a junior looking at programs like this (BA or BS in dance science, dance and kinesiology, etc.) Could you share which school you know of developing that program? We are looking for any possible leads before narrowing down her list by fall. Thanks!

I think Elon does. There's a mom on here who's dd is doing that. At least I think that's it.
MSDanceMomma

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Late to the party but concur with the others - my daughter is not dancing currently (freshman in college) - while in HS she dropped all dance but her HS team for one year, then the next year went back to competition (min required teams for her studio) and did that till she graduated.   Had zero interest in dance at college - would get annoyed if I even looked at dance programs/teams for the colleges on her list in fact.   Now this spring she is reconsidering and thinking of trying out for her college dance team.   So you never know.  

We did find some schools (many mentioned here) with financial aid and some with a small scholarship.  I did find that a couple of smaller private colleges with very competitive dance teams did offer some small scholarships (in theory as we never tested those waters). 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.