jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleemom9
Which college gives dance scholarships?

Los of colleges give dance scholarships. This thread is talking about dance teams. What colleges are you looking at?

Several colleges will give scholarships for dance teams as well.  Like any other athletic scholarship, it depends on the needs of the team.  I can tell you that my daughter is a Jr in HS, and she is being strongly looked at and recruited by 2 different college dance teams (one local; one out of state) including offers of scholarships.  Unfortunately for us, the schools do not have a program (dance or otherwise) that she is interested in.  So we keep looking!
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Can you give examples. My daughter is 10 so we have time. I just could not find any schools googling that gave scholarships. Uconn is non scholarship.

You're asking a really broad question. With a 10 year old you not only don't know what kind of dance you daughter would want to pursue or even if she will pursue dance. Heck who knows if she'll even dance in middle school. Like I said lots of schools give dance scholarships. Do yourself a favor and enjoy your very young child. Wait a few years to worry about college. You've posted quite a bit about college already. I promise you have time.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Such a long way off. I would wait until freshman year at least before delving in to college stuff. Your DD could be a completely different dancer or not dancing at all. Perfect side leaps aside.
Amomofonedancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Which college gives dance scholarships?

My dd is a graduating high school senior.  I have done a lot of research on scholarships- both for dance and for academics.  I did not find any scholarships listed for dance team other than something small- like a book stipend and I think that I might have seen where a dancer would be eligible for in-state tuition rather than OOS. From the research I did some time ago, I believe UK and University of Minnesota offered a limited number of these scholarships to their varsity dancers.

There are more opportunities available for larger scholarships for dance majors.  However,  the out-of-pocket costs are still relatively high, with the exception of scholarships for male dancers who are more in demand.

For college scholarship information, I would recommend that you do some research on collegeconfidential.com for the academic portion of any scholarship.  For scholarships for dance majors, there are some old threads on dancemom in the "College Dance" section in which parents describe the dance scholarships their dancers received and what criteria that college uses.

My dd has danced for 13 years and has very high academic stats.  I started researching scholarships when dd was a freshman. I researched schools that placed value on the performing arts and academics on collegeconfidential.  My dd received full tuition scholarships at all 6 schools she applied to, some colleges offering additional scholarship money, and three full-ride scholarships.  In the fall, she will attend a US News top 100 university with full-ride scholarship within their Honors College and plans to audition for their Division I dance team. Of note is that the dance team of the college she will attend does not offer any scholarships for dance. However, one perk is that they get lots of free spirit-wear and I think all their attire is paid for by the university.

dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
My daughter is a jazz and acro dancer . She does a perfect side leap and did an Ariel with her toes pointed in her latest competiton.. She is usually the kid with the tricks. She spent years in gymnastics so enjoys back hand springs too. She can do a triple turn now and is wOrking on her piroette. It is a big investment of money so if there are some scholarships that is great. We are saving for her college too. Education is important to me so perhaps those are the posts I am interested in and therfore tend to comment on.

What's the difference between a turn and a pirouette?
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
I could be wrong but isn't turn a more general term?  Like there are piroette turns, fouette' turns, pique turns, etc?  But if someone is saying their DD can do a triple turn now I would be thinking she meant a triple pirouette?  
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
My daughter is a jazz and acro dancer . She does a perfect side leap and did an Ariel with her toes pointed in her latest competiton.. She is usually the kid with the tricks. She spent years in gymnastics so enjoys back hand springs too. She can do a triple turn now and is wOrking on her piroette. It is a big investment of money so if there are some scholarships that is great. We are saving for her college too. Education is important to me so perhaps those are the posts I am interested in and therfore tend to comment on.

I think we all understand the value in thinking long term but there are just so many unknowns when you're talking so far in the distance.  Even if your dd ends up being the dancer you imagine her to be, it's way too soon to know exactly what "she" would be interested and therefore you don't know which programs would be a good match.  Not to mention even if you were able to zero in on some fantastic programs w/great scholarship opportunities now there's no way to know how they will measure up in 10 years.. or if they'll even be around.  Or what else might be around that's not around now.  IDK...  it just seems that your time and energy could be better spent, that's all.  No one's trying to criticize you, just trying to offer up some perspective.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

I think we all understand the value in thinking long term but there are just so many unknowns when you're talking so far in the distance.  Even if your dd ends up being the dancer you imagine her to be, it's way too soon to know exactly what "she" would be interested and therefore you don't know which programs would be a good match.  Not to mention even if you were able to zero in on some fantastic programs now there's no way to know how they will measure up in 10 years.. or if they'll even be around.  Or what else might be around that's not around now.  IDK...  it just seems that your time and energy could be better spent, that's all.  No one's trying to criticize you, just trying to offer up some perspective.

Not to mention that colleges that give a lot of money for dance may not in 10 years and vice versa. It's just way too early to try to zoom in on any kind of a program that far in advance. 
heartmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:

I was talking to a gymnastics coach and he said most parents will spend more chasing college scholarships (especially if you're thinking about these costs at age 10) than they will likely ever benefit from, even if they were miraculously given a full ride scholarship somewhere. His advice to his parents is do what you want and spend what you want with no expectation you will recoup any of it back and I would agree with that. I even look at my cousin who is a scholarship football player at a D1 school. What they spent on speed coaches for him, strength coaches, college unofficial visits (since he wanted to end the circus before his senior year- that means every trip is on your dime), even protein powder!    

I know at my college I worked for the dept of theatre and dance, they gave out scholarships. No idea how many went to those that were just dancers and not in the actual theatre program. I do know most of the scholarships were not very much. They might cover your books and fees if you were lucky. And those were for dance majors, not those on the "dance team".  I do believe the University of Minnesota offers some sort of scholarship for it's dance majors, but it notes it's based on audition AND need (FASFA info).  

mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #35 
I am a gymnastics coach and that is the exact same speech that I give.  
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
I want to convince her to take a year off from comp as it is such a big investment. Her turn is a triple pirouette. She is working on the harder turn (fouetté?) but I will have to ask the dance teacher what it is called. I tend to drop off as I have a son who does basketball and baseball. He is 12 and his activities are a lighter commitment than my daughters dance comp.

Of course she loves it so I will probably end up continuing to question all this. My thoughts after all the comments is that there are no scholarships but that is ok.

There are scholarships. What everyone is trying to say is that the hope of a college scholarship should not be a factor in your child's activities. If your dd and ds pursue things because they love doing those things and because your family enjoys those things that's enough. As for earning a college scholarship, who can even predict where that's headed 9-10 years from now. If it stays the same then academics are where scholarships are earned.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
She loves it. It is expensive and takes up a lot of my time but I enjoy seeing her happy. I would feel guilty making her "just take classes" because she loves being part of the team. My studio it is all or nothing. They are wonderful with my daughter and I am sure she will have wonderful memories of this. I did try to push her toward soccer and basketball but it is not her passion. I am not picking my activities based on scholarships. People on these boards jump to conclusions. I just am trying to give dance another plus in the positive column because it is such a big commitment.

Well, to be fair, you didn't give people much to go on.  If you'd provided more detailed background information from the get go people wouldn't have had to jump to conclusions. But instead all we see is a parent of a 10 yo jumping into a thread geared for dancers on the cusp of making the transition from HS to college.  Why?  To ask vague questions about college scholarships.  Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't jump to conclusions.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #38 
You can ask questions. And those have been answered. The point is there's no way of telling if your child will get a scholarship for dance or what schools will be offering what in 10 years. I don't see what the correlation is between whether your child will compete or notams college scholarships. Do what' makes her happy and what you can afford. Pushing your child into soccer or some other sport isn't going to be a guarantee for a scholarship either. Stop worrying about what other people spend and do what's best for your family. There's no crystal ball. The majority of us who have dancers approaching college age didn't have any idea that it would get this far and this serious.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
You can ask questions. And those have been answered. The point is there's no way of telling if your child will get a scholarship for dance or what schools will be offering what in 10 years. I don't see what the correlation is between whether your child will compete or notams college scholarships. Do what' makes her happy and what you can afford. Pushing your child into soccer or some other sport isn't going to be a guarantee for a scholarship either. Stop worrying about what other people spend and do what's best for your family. There's no crystal ball. The majority of us who have dancers approaching college age didn't have any idea that it would get this far and this serious.

Exactly!! I could not have won a single bet on who'd go to college for dance if I'd had to choose when the dancers were 10.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
I thought the point of this thread was to ask questions. But I do gather from this thread that many parents are willing to spend $7k and up a year and only care about their daughters enjoyment. That is not a bad thing. I am new to this and am learning so may ask many questions here that I can not ask at my studio. My studio is expensive because our teachers come to connecticut from New York City and all are working. I could switch to a cheaper studio but it would have no learning. So for now just letting my daughter do what she likes.

It is.  I was just commenting on your surprise that some had jumped to conclusions.  The more background info you provide when you ask a question the less jumping to conclusions.  And the more helpful the answers will be.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Just happened across this nice list from NDA about college dance teams: http://nda.varsity.com/College/College-Recruitment#

Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpeanut
Just happened across this nice list from NDA about college dance teams: http://nda.varsity.com/College/College-Recruitment#

Just a quick look through that list but it's not a very complete list. None of the top 10 teams from UDA or NDA other than the Utah tens seem to be there. I could have missed some since I didn't spend long searching but there are some huge omissions. It'd be nice if there was a good single source of information though
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom

Just a quick look through that list but it's not a very complete list. None of the top 10 teams from UDA or NDA other than the Utah tens seem to be there. I could have missed some since I didn't spend long searching but there are some huge omissions. It'd be nice if there was a good single source of information though

I'm sure it's just ones affiliated with NDA whom provided their info, but it was nice to see a list of general requirements and such.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpeanut

I'm sure it's just ones affiliated with NDA whom provided their info, but it was nice to see a list of general requirements and such.

NDA college Nationals was this weekend. The winners are already posted online. Only a couple of the top teams are on this list. My dd's best friend from home was competing so I was watching online with her mom. The only reason I was pointing out how incomplete the list is, is in case someone is actively looking for a college dance team. This would give them a very small number of teams to consider. Most of the big state schools aren't going to be listed because they are with UDA. Same parent company but different division
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Exactly!! I could not have won a single bet on who'd go to college for dance if I'd had to choose when the dancers were 10.

Same.  I would have even lost bets on who'd be left dancing by their senior year! Most of the standouts from that age group did not stay with dance through high school. It was always a bit of a surprise as each one dropped out for one reason or another. 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

Same.  I would have even lost bets on who'd be left dancing by their senior year! Most of the standouts from that age group did not stay with dance through high school. It was always a bit of a surprise as each one dropped out for one reason or another. 

DS danced until he was 19.  From 9-14 he was determined that he was going to get his BATD teaching certificate and teach part time while he went to university and continued to dance there.  By the time he was 16 he no longer had any interest in dancing beyond high school and definitely no interest in teaching.  Things can change so fast you never know.  Just let them enjoy what they are doing and provide every opportunity you realistically can and see what happens.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #47 
I agree with what everyone is saying.  There's no way to know what direction a dancer will go.  Once they hit high school all bets are off.  One year they might want to dance, the next year they might not.  Teenagers are not the most consistent humans on earth.  My DD NEVER expressed an interest in dancing past high school.  She had so many different things she wanted to go to college for... physical therapy, fashion merchandising, writing, nursing... and the list goes on.  Although she started dancing at age 2, dance never made the list.  it wasn't until the end of her sophomore year/beginning of her junior year of high school that she decided that dance was what she wanted to do.  But college programs/scholarships/requirements change so much from one year to the next that there's really no way to know what's going to be out there by the time that your DD is ready to start the application process.  For now, just sit back and enjoy the ride! Let her just enjoy dancing and see where it goes from here.  [smile]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Definitely agree with all of the comments posted above.  My DD18 had originally wanted to be a ballet dancer but quit dance her senior year of high school.  She's a sophomore in college now and on the dance team which starts next fall (it's complicated lol) but that scholarship is only $3000 a year.  Which is peanuts compared to what we spent on her dancing for all of those years.  Would I do it different if I knew?  Nope.  She loved it at the time, we could afford it, and there were benefits from it.  You never know what's going to happen down the road.  I would never have put that kind of pressure on any of my daughters anyway; never once did we think about them doing it so they could get a scholarship someday.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Everything in performing arts and dance is expensive and colleges for dance and performing arts and dance is are outrageously expensive and competitive. If you choose to major in dance in college understand you will pay for application fee and an audition fee. So starting to save when your daughter is 10 is probably a reasonable expectation. Every school is looking for something different and have wildly different expectations. The degrees are even different. A lot of colleges are focused on modern, some are jazz focused and some are commercially focused and I know of one that is changing to a BS in dance where you can also focus on kinesiology. In the arts there should be no expectation of a scholarship or acceptance to any given program. As a parent of a 10 year old I'd focus on technique and not tricks and encourage her to get good grades. Because most merit money comes from high GPAs not talent.
AthleteArtistDancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #50 
Talent/Interests are only one factor when choosing a college - size of the school, campus culture, other programs offered, presence/absence of Greek life... all that plus your child's particular personality (homebody, adventurous, introvert, busy, quiet, etc.) go into college consideration, same as other kids looking at great schools for engineering or music or medicine.  Your child could be offered scholarship money to schools they have no interest in attending (New York is too far, Vanderbilt is too small, etc).

College dance is a lot like what used to be considered Poms - many teams compete in poms or kick line but avoid the tumbling/gymnastics usually found in cheerleading these days. Scholarships are hard to come by in any arts program -- budgets have been slashed for years and while there are still some funds out there, many have disappeared in the last 10 years. Unfortunately, like most other female-oriented extracurriculars, dancers usually have to pay for the privilege of being on a dance team.

Dance team girls often go on to sports teams like Knicks City Dancers and the Laker Girls. If that's something your DD wants to do, college dance team training is a huge help.  You might start here http://varsity.com/event/schresult/2020/2016_nca_nda_college : these are the final results pages from NDA's Collegiate Nationals that were held this past week.  Dance falls under Team Performance, Hip Hop, Jazz, Pom, and Challenge Cup - Dance (everything else is Cheer): see if there are any schools you recognize and check out their programs directly - you should get much better information that way.  Good luck!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: