Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
SortaReluctant1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
All I thought about was how great it would be when dd dances during the day and can socialize or relax at night. What we didn't realize is that some of the schools have intensive schedules that don't leave them room for anything else. Or schools that are so ballet focused that the dancers don't get to do hip-hop or jazz or whatever. It's putting me on eggshells!

What kinds of schedules do the schools you're considering have? When do academics happen?
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Every school that DS looked into was very open about their schedule. DS chose a school that has a good balance of Dance and Academics. He also has had plenty of time to socialize and relax. There were schools that he checked out that he didn't feel had everything that he wanted, he has friends that want schools that had very intensive dance schedules. There are so many schools with dance programs, I am sure that DD will find her perfect fit.

Last semester DS took 18 hours

Dance Essentials
Men's Technique
Ballet
Jazz
Partnering
Research and Writing
Music for Dancers
Key to Happiness
Backstage Production

Some of those classes are 1 or 2 hour classes. This semester he is taking 16 hours and adding Company to his schedule. He will take 2-3 academic classes per semester.
SortaReluctant1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Key to Happiness sounds like a GREAT class!
What school is he at?
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Mercyhurst University, they have a BA and a BFA in Dance plus they allow you to double major. He loves it so much that we sent his non-dancing twin there this semester. I really feel like there are a lot of wonderful schools out there that you just don't hear about.

He loved Key to Happiness, it was his favorite class.  
SortaReluctant1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Not surprised! The title alone is fantastic.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My DD is Dance BFA/Dance Science BS double.  Her first semester she had (credits) :

Ballet - 2 
Modern - 2
Somatics (Pilates/Yoga theories) - 4
Medical Terminology - 2
Intro to Psych - 4
Global (in intro to civilizations/history class) - 4
Orientation - 1

Next semester she will have:

College Writing - 4  (which she had taken in HS but they want her to take their version)
Statistics - 4
Somatics II - 4
Ballet - 2
Modern - 2
Partnering - 2
Pointe - 1 (which she really wants to take but may be forced to audit because of her class load)

She has at least one dance class a day and one academic class a day.  She has been cast in all of the shows thus far so she has rehearsals at least one night a week and Saturdays.  In the week or two prior to a show she may have rehearsal every night but they are encouraged to bring books and study between their numbers.  She uses her time wisely between classes to study and seems to have time to go out with friends from her dorm or the dance department.  She will even get bored and text or Skype me [wink]  Sundays are generally homework too.

The schedule daily/hourly is actually more relaxed than what she was doing her senior year in high school but the level of the work more difficult so she spends more time on academics than she has in the past but the ability to dance for some of her credits has been what she was waiting for and it hasn't disappointed.  I think serious dance kids are so busy and so focused by the time they are finishing high school that they find the rigors of a college BFA schedule very manageable.

meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
The big thing about being a performing arts major is generally the number of one and two hour classes that take hours and hours of actual class time that you take.  Also the evening rehearsals that can make it almost impossible to work off campus (or even out of the department)
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 

ShayleneK, how many hours do those credits convert to? For ex 2 credits of ballet in a semester equals how many classes each week and how long are those? 

Just curious. I know dd's friends in the Ailey-Fordham BFA program have ballet and modern, each for about 90 min Monday through Friday. I'm not sure how often their other courses like floor barre meet. Also don't know how many credits they get. It seems to me that a class that takes up that much time should be worth the full amount!

I am always curious, comparing what dd's friends who are doing the college route in dance are doing compared to what she is doing. I am pretty sure she is just taking one college course this semester as she adjusts to the trainee schedule which is pretty much 9-5 most days (half day on Mondays which is allegedly cancelled if they rehearse or perform on Sundays). 

Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
The semester-long dance classes are 180 minutes a week - she has ballet or modern every day 60 - 90 minutes/day.  Because there is no homework these classes are only 2 credits.  An academic 4 credit class has the same classroom time as a dance class but they will have readings, homework, papers, etc.  For example, Somatics is 180 minutes a week of pilates, yoga, theory in class but then they have outside reading, research, tests, etc. also so it is a 4 credit class.

Rehearsal requirements vary by student and by show.  This is the part of the dance BFA that could get out of control.  For this coming spring show DD was cast in one ballet piece being choreographed by local faculty and then in one modern piece being set as a new work by a visiting choreographer.  Both pieces are being set in January during their winter term.  Because she was cast in both pieces she is getting 3 academic credits for rehearsals this month rather than taking an academic class.  The ballet piece is being set in the morning 9 - 12 and the modern piece in the afternoon 1:30 - 4:30.  There is a lot of partnering in one so they have had some evening time in the pool or watching video also.  So she is basically doing a company schedule this month.  Both pieces will be completely set at the end of the month so rehearsals will back down again when academics start in February.  Many students (especially freshmen) will just be in one piece and won't have quite the rehearsal commitment.

The other thing DD has been really excited about is the way that the academics and dance interact.  Last semester her Global teacher had her choreograph and present a dance piece reflecting the fear of war in lieu of a paper.  So she was in the studios extra time to work on that.  In stats next semester she will get to work with current dance science info or do her own research with a dance emphasis.  So that has been an unexpected delight for her. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
They get credits for rehearsals!  That's wonderful! So much work goes into rehearsals, I am glad they get recognition for that. The academics sound like a wonderful mix too! 
pinnellmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
My DD just graduated with her BA in dance.  She would average around 18-20 hours a semester.  She graduated with the BA in 3 1/2 years and in her last two semesters she was taking grad level classes and got her Masters a semester later.  She was extremely busy but she was used to it after dancing all through high school.  She had classes during the day, when she had a break in between classes she would do some of her classroom work.  Then after classes she had rehearsals most nights for shows. She worked really hard on weekends, didn't go out a lot to be honest and would catch up on everything that way.  She doesn't know if she could write another paper for quite some years but she was able to get it done and loved it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.