Author   Comment   Page 2 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
She moves to Columbus in 50 days! 

judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Again, mine will not be majoring in dance, so I get the whole Point Park thing, but I wish that Illinois had more options for her.  There are few private Illinois schools that I think would give her what she needed..truthfully, her program is not really found at any Illinois schools! Even U of I!  The closest school to us for a good PA program that offers decent merit scholarships from what I have seen is Dayton!
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Trinitymomof2, DD loves campuses that are part of the city. She loves the COPA because she did not have the option to attend a performing arts schoo and had to give up high school theatre to travel to her dance school.. She likes how they will help them create their own minors or double majors. Theoretically she could take art classes at the Pittsburgh Institute because the colleges Pittsburgh allow one class per semester to be taken at another school
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Anyone going to Chicago for the SUNY auditions December 19th?
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #30 
We are back from the Point Park audition. There were about 45 today. DD said only the ballet students took the pointe portion of the audition. The ballet class was pretty good except the petit allegro was really fast and pretty much everyone had trouble. The modern was fine, and she thought the jazz wasn't very hard. She was surprised there were no leaps to speak of in any class. No more auditions until late January. She should have a resopnse from Point Park by then. 
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Three acceptances so far- UNC Greensboro, Purdue, and Oklahoma City University. 
SortaReluctant1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Congratulations!!! What a relief that you know so early in the process. It will be months more for us.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
DD got her first academic acceptance... Point Park... she was almost laughing about it because she'd heard so many stories about how ridiculously easy it is to get academically accepted to Point Park. lol. At the same time, though, it's so exciting to see responses start coming in!! Next step, auditions!! And Point Park is actually going to be her first one!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
I bet Point Park will be her first all round acceptance! 

Congrats to all as the acceptances roll in! Very exciting!
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Marymount Manhattan's academic acceptance arrived! So she's just waiting on Pace now. She has academic acceptance but has to do the audition for two schools, acceptance to the dance program but has to wait for academic acceptance to one, and then two programs that are only based on the audition for acceptance (with auditions in January and February). Fun times!
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #36 
OSU, Hofstra, and George Mason came in with a yes.  GMU offered her a nice scholarship. 

Going to OKC to visit, but are very bummed because apparently you cannot take dance classes unless you are majoring in dance, and they don't offer a minor.  If you want to take classes, you have to go off campus as an "intramural".

I think that sucks, frankly.  I get giving priority to dance majors, but if there are spaces, let people take a class, for Pete's sake.  

Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by judie
OSU, Hofstra, and George Mason came in with a yes.  GMU offered her a nice scholarship. 

Going to OKC to visit, but are very bummed because apparently you cannot take dance classes unless you are majoring in dance, and they don't offer a minor.  If you want to take classes, you have to go off campus as an "intramural".

I think that sucks, frankly.  I get giving priority to dance majors, but if there are spaces, let people take a class, for Pete's sake.  

My dd is a current dance major. The school catalog states non-dance majors are allowed to take dance classes and there is no minor, however, there's no room for them in class. Priority goes to majors and the classes are full. There's usually even an over ride needed to get everyone who needs the class included. It's a nice idea but unless they add studio space and staff it's not likely a non major will have the opportunity to take dance classes. Some dance classes are taught as a PE or at the rec center. Those are open to anyone
diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #38 
In response to judie, 

My dd is also a current dance major. What Psmom said is interesting. Even though it is offered it may not be a realistic option. Also wanted to mention that at many auditions last year it was stated that dance classes were only open to dance majors for safety reasons. They hold auditions so that they know everyone is on a similar dance level. Allowing students of various levels to take class would not be in the best interest of the dancers. If you dd is choosing another major, maybe it would be best to look for schools that have specific dance classes for Non Majors. This may be a more realistic option so that students know the classes are actually open for them to register for the class.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Yep.  We discussed it (classes) and it is not an option, despite what the catalog says.  Not to mention, she has a better chance for additional scholarships on top of what she has received if she just sticks with biomedical.  The admissions counselor agrees that the rec classes are likely beneath her skill level.  It's not like she is a rec dancert.  SHe could major in dance if she wanted to, but she knows that dance is not forever.  It is unfortunate that you can audition for "company" but not be permitted to take classes to support your participation in that activity.  So, major strike against.  I did brainstorm the possibility of her taking ballet at OKC ballet.  That is all she really want to have to keep fresh anyway.  So, it is her second choice school at this point. It is just unfortunate that they do not encourage a life after entertainment that does not involve entertainment.  I also thought it was interesting that they will let her major in dance and minor in bio, but not the other way around.  Whatever...their school, and they are potentially losing out on a great kid. (IMO)

She got a very nice scholarship to Hofstra, though, and that is looking like the frontrunner, but she needs to check to see if she can take a dance class and minor. If not, she feels good that Broadway Dance Center is just a train ride away.  More expensive for mom and dad, but I want her to be happy.
magzlili

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Happy to report that DD was accepted for a BFA at Montclair State and Slippery Rock. Any feedback on either school would be greatly appreciated.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #41 
I know several girls at Montclair. They seem to like it and it's very convenient to NYC. I have no knowledge of slippery rock. But I feel like its rural. Correct me if I'm wrong.
MSDanceMomma

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by magzlili
Happy to report that DD was accepted for a BFA at Montclair State and Slippery Rock. Any feedback on either school would be greatly appreciated.

I am pretty sure someone from here has posted about Slippery Rock and very favorably.   Perhaps do a search in the thread for class of 2015.  
SortaReluctant1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #43 
What schools are based on audition only?
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Good question.  Most schools I have seen require you to get accepted academically separate from dance.  In fact, OKCU has on their website not to even apply for the program unless you have a minimum of a certain ACT/GPA.

I know others that got into PP academically, but not their dance program.  The same for Arizona.
diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #45 
SortaReluctant1 I'm not sure exactly what you are asking? Most schools will want some proof of academic performance. Some don't care about SAT/ACT scores  at all some do. From our experience I can say that Juilliard and SUNY Purchase don't even look at your application unless you make it through the audition. The Boston Conservatory is pretty much all audition, although you do have to provide certain academic info in your application. I think they are dropping test scores this year. NYU only sends out one notification, which includes academic and audition results. I believe University of the arts may be similar. 

What schools are you looking at? Maybe if you asked your questions about specific schools you would get a better response.

musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #46 
DD was accepted to Point Park's BA program today. This is a huge as we head to NYC in two weeks. Knowing that she has a spot at school she loves takes some of the pressure off. 
jjjgirls

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSDanceMomma
Quote:
Originally Posted by magzlili

I am pretty sure someone from here has posted about Slippery Rock and very favorably.   Perhaps do a search in the thread for class of 2015.  

Yes, there was somebody else on here who's kid was a SRU dancer! Their experience was very favorable. I am a Slippery Rock alum (not dance) but several of my friends were dance majors, minors, or double majors. All are employed and doing pretty much what they'd hoped to be doing with their education. It is a good program where they work with students to reach their goals, whatever they may be.
Congratulations to your daughter! How exciting for her!
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #48 
So excited to say that DD got her first full acceptance today! She was accepted to the BFA program at Point Park! Now if she would just get word back from Pace about her academic acceptance she'll know about 2 schools! And tomorrow we're headed to Boston for an Alvin Ailey audition. Yay! Exciting times!
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom
So excited to say that DD got her first full acceptance today! She was accepted to the BFA program at Point Park! Now if she would just get word back from Pace about her academic acceptance she'll know about 2 schools! And tomorrow we're headed to Boston for an Alvin Ailey audition. Yay! Exciting times!

Congratulations!
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

Congratulations!

Thanks!!! I see your post, congratulations to your DD too!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.