Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #76 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsmom
DD got into USC!

She's such a stunning dancer (I saw her Dance Spirit video), I knew she would! I saw on Instagram that Justin Pham is going. I expect to see a lot more top dancers announcing they are going there, too. Congrats, looks like such an amazing program!
brightblue

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #77 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsmom
DD got into USC!

Congratulations! What made that program her top choice ?
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #78 
Thanks for the kids words!  She is in Serbia with Complexions, so I didn't get to video her finding out but she was thrilled!  Although, college is a second choice for her!  [biggrin] 
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #79 
So, DD officially accepted the offer of admission from Marymount Manhattan.  I've known that was her choice for a while and didn't know why she wasn't putting in her acceptance.  As it turns out, she was hesitant to put in the acceptance because she had several people telling her she could probably go straight to the professional route.  Who knows if that's true, but she really wants to have the college experience, so she put in the acceptance and is now planning out her dorm room!

Once she told me why she had been holding off I told her that, if an amazing opportunity comes up for professional work, she can always see about deferring for a year.  That seemed to appease any anxiety about making the wrong decision.... this is a lot of pressure for a 17 year old!!  LOL
magzlili

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #80 
So excited to report that after a long ride of many ups and downs, DD will be attending Oklahoma City University as a dance major! Phew! So glad this part is over. Now the real fun begins!
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #81 
So Sunday was commitment day...where did everyone commit to?!

Whitney committed to USC!
loriace

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #82 
After being waitlisted, my daughter was accepted to the BFA at Ohio State University.  She had given up and planned on minoring in dance, now she will be majoring.  She is ecstatic.  Her twin sister is attending Troy University, Alabama and minoring in dance and made the dance team.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #83 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom
So, DD officially accepted the offer of admission from Marymount Manhattan.  I've known that was her choice for a while and didn't know why she wasn't putting in her acceptance.  As it turns out, she was hesitant to put in the acceptance because she had several people telling her she could probably go straight to the professional route.  Who knows if that's true, but she really wants to have the college experience, so she put in the acceptance and is now planning out her dorm room!

Once she told me why she had been holding off I told her that, if an amazing opportunity comes up for professional work, she can always see about deferring for a year.  That seemed to appease any anxiety about making the wrong decision.... this is a lot of pressure for a 17 year old!!  LOL

My dd has 2 friends..one started Marymount last year and the other will be starting with your dd.  The one that is already there really likes it
diane92

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #84 
DD has decided to attend the University of South Carolina after making the Carolina Girls Dance Team.  So excited for her!
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #85 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

My dd has 2 friends..one started Marymount last year and the other will be starting with your dd.  The one that is already there really likes it

DD is actually torn now... she thinks she might want to do the Ailey Professional Program.  It's so hard because there's no way of knowing which will be the best option post training.  If she does the Ailey Professional Program and does not end up with the company will their certificate be just as valuable as a BFA from Marymount on a resume?  And she really has no one to ask... if she talks to Ailey they'll say their route is the best option (and they do have a very impressive alumni job listing).  If she talks to Marymount they'll say their program is the best option (also with an impressive alumni job listing).  She's already committed to Marymount... Ailey doesn't require anything official until later this month.  But the clock is ticking and she's SO torn.  This is so stressful to put on the shoulders of a 17 year old! [confused] [frown]
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #86 
Quote:

DD is actually torn now... she thinks she might want to do the Ailey Professional Program.  It's so hard because there's no way of knowing which will be the best option post training.  If she does the Ailey Professional Program and does not end up with the company will their certificate be just as valuable as a BFA from Marymount on a resume?  And she really has no one to ask... if she talks to Ailey they'll say their route is the best option (and they do have a very impressive alumni job listing).  If she talks to Marymount they'll say their program is the best option (also with an impressive alumni job listing).  She's already committed to Marymount... Ailey doesn't require anything official until later this month.  But the clock is ticking and she's SO torn.  This is so stressful to put on the shoulders of a 17 year old! [confused] [frown]

I could ask my dd's friend who is there this year if your dd could email her and ask her questions if that would help make the decision.

Another of my dd's friend got into the Ailey program in SF last year but they didn't get enough of a scholarship to make it doable for them.  Living in SF was as expensive as living in Manhattan and they just couldn't swing it.

JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #87 
Quote:

I could ask my dd's friend who is there this year if your dd could email her and ask her questions if that would help make the decision.

Another of my dd's friend got into the Ailey program in SF last year but they didn't get enough of a scholarship to make it doable for them.  Living in SF was as expensive as living in Manhattan and they just couldn't swing it.

DD knows lots of kids in the BFA program at Marymount... she has no doubt she'd love it there.  She's just not sure what the best choice would be.  I didn't realize Ailey had a year round professional program in SF... that's pretty cool.  The Ailey scholarship audition isn't until July.  So we don't even know what that would equate to.  But she can use FAFSA money there, and it's much cheaper than Marymount, so even without scholarship the out of pocket costs will come out to be about the same.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #88 
Quote:

DD knows lots of kids in the BFA program at Marymount... she has no doubt she'd love it there.  She's just not sure what the best choice would be.  I didn't realize Ailey had a year round professional program in SF... that's pretty cool.  The Ailey scholarship audition isn't until July.  So we don't even know what that would equate to.  But she can use FAFSA money there, and it's much cheaper than Marymount, so even without scholarship the out of pocket costs will come out to be about the same.

I think one of the good things about Marymount is that you can take a concentration in choreography.  It seems like that is unusual.  Ailey will hold her offer for 2 years, wont it?  Could she try Marymount for a year and then go to Ailey if she feels like Marymount isn't giving her the exposure she had hoped?
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #89 
Quote:

I think one of the good things about Marymount is that you can take a concentration in choreography.  It seems like that is unusual.  Ailey will hold her offer for 2 years, wont it?  Could she try Marymount for a year and then go to Ailey if she feels like Marymount isn't giving her the exposure she had hoped?

I hadn't heard about Ailey holding their offer.  Hmmm... that may be something for her to consider.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #90 

JojosDanceMom,  are they separating the Ailey certificate alumni from the Ailey-Fordham program alumni? Just wondering if they are grouping them together or not?

My 2 cents, which is what it is worth LOL.. I would lean heavily towards the BFA at the time, though Ailey faculty is terrific. I just don't know Marymount faculty as well probably because dd's ballet school in NYC had a close relationship with certain folks at Ailey (her main ballet teacher teaches there on side, her Horton/contemporary teacher has choreographed for the company and teaches there as well). As a result, when they needed to pull a non-classical male, they'd get one from Ailey. Classical, they'd get from SAB. (As a side note, it was usually tall men they needed, they had plenty of average and shorter men!). 

Having known dancers in the certificate program (and in the Fordham-Ailey program), and having seen videos of your daughter, I know that if she was accepted to the certificate program now, she will be accepted in the future. I have absolutely no doubt. It's certainly less complicated than getting accepted to college. Oh.. and I can think of one dancer who did the one year program who was able to use it for college credit. Not sure if that is something Marymount would support, but it is something to think about for the future as well. 

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #91 
I have never heard of Ailey in SF either. Was it LINES and not Ailey maybe? 
diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #92 
JojosDancemom: I feel for you. It is a lot for a 17 year old to deal with! My D is also at Marymount, If you have any questions about anything there. My D never considered the Ailey Certificate program so I don't know their specific qualities.

I have 2 questions. Has your D observed at either school? If so where did she feel inspired and happy? 
How did she feel about the audition at each program? 
Are there more performance opportunities at either program? 

What is her career goal? Dream company? 

As a final thought, I would assume the modern technique training would be slightly different at the 2 programs, what type of modern training is your daughter looking for?

diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #93 
As for the faculty at Marymount, I believe several of them also teach at Ailey. 
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #94 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

JojosDanceMom,  are they separating the Ailey certificate alumni from the Ailey-Fordham program alumni? Just wondering if they are grouping them together or not?

My 2 cents, which is what it is worth LOL.. I would lean heavily towards the BFA at the time, though Ailey faculty is terrific. I just don't know Marymount faculty as well probably because dd's ballet school in NYC had a close relationship with certain folks at Ailey (her main ballet teacher teaches there on side, her Horton/contemporary teacher has choreographed for the company and teaches there as well). As a result, when they needed to pull a non-classical male, they'd get one from Ailey. Classical, they'd get from SAB. (As a side note, it was usually tall men they needed, they had plenty of average and shorter men!). 

Having known dancers in the certificate program (and in the Fordham-Ailey program), and having seen videos of your daughter, I know that if she was accepted to the certificate program now, she will be accepted in the future. I have absolutely no doubt. It's certainly less complicated than getting accepted to college. Oh.. and I can think of one dancer who did the one year program who was able to use it for college credit. Not sure if that is something Marymount would support, but it is something to think about for the future as well. 

The Ailey alumni page distinguishes where dancers have gone and what program they graduated from (BFA, Scholarship, Certificate, etc.)  It doesn't seem like it mattered which of these programs they went through.  They listed the companies the dancers went to and then noted which program they came through.  It was a pretty even mix from each.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #95 
I don't think I ever came on to update.  DD decided to stick with her original choice, Marymount, for at least one year.  After that, if she's still torn, she can revisit the Ailey route.  Unfortunately Ailey does not defer, so she'll have to re-audition if she's still interested.  But I figure if they like her now a year in Marymount's BFA program will only strengthen her as a dancer.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if she decided to stay at Marymount once she's there.  We went to the Griffin Days this weekend and it only reaffirmed for her why she was so excited about it when we went to the tour/class observations.  She's very excited!  And I'm SO excited for her!
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #96 
Ailey SF is Lines
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #97 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylenek
Ailey SF is Lines

Lines is Alonzo King.
trumpets123

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #98 
This is great to do so [smile]

JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #99 
So, we've all posted about the college audition/application process and where they finally decided to go.  Now I'm wondering when everyone has to drop their freshmen off at school.  DD is checking into her dorm on the 27th!  I can't even believe it's just days away!  [eek]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #100 
Quote:
SO excited to say that DD received her Marymount BFA acceptance letter today! It says that she's been awarded a competitive dance award, but it doesn't say for how much. They determine the award amount when the process the FAFSA info.

My DD's friend from our old studio is starting at Marymount for Dance this fall too.  I wonder how big the program is and if they'll run in to each other.  [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.