Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 5      1   2   3   4   Next   »
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all!  It's been a while since I've had a chance to come on here, but I thought this would be an excellent reason.  I skimmed through the class of 2015 board a lot last year and found it extremely helpful, so I thought it would be great to start a class of 2016 board for this year. 

What are all this year's senior dancers doing?  How's the process going?  Auditions?  Differences between programs?  Etc, etc.

Here's where we stand:

Pace - DD's already accepted to their dance program based on a scholarship won at NYCDA Nationals in July, so we just have to get the academic acceptance.  Application is done, SAT scores/Transcripts/Letters of recommendation are being sent.

Point Park - Application is done (It's free! Yay!), audition is scheduled, SAT scores/Transcripts/Letters of recommendation are being sent.

Marymount Manhattan - Application is done, sending audition application and academic application fee (online payment is down) by mail, SAT scores/Transcripts/Letters of recommendation are being sent.

Juilliard - Application is in process, Transcripts/Letters of recommendation are being sent.

Ailey certificate program - application for audition is in process (can't decide on the date [frown])

Pace was DD's top choice for a long time... when she won the scholarship I thought "Yes!  She's accepted to her top choice before she's even applied!!"  But then she went to the NYCDA summer intensive at Pace.  She still loves the school, but she realized that commercial dance may not be her first choice.  She sees herself as much more of a concert dancer, so she wants to check out these other schools that are more along those lines.

Ailey... she also won a full scholarship to the 2016 Ailey Summer Intensive at NYCDA nationals, she's looking forward to that, and if she can get into their certificate program and then move into Ailey II from there... well that would be a game changer as far as the whole college planning goes!  LOL
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Applied and accepted to University of Arizona dance and North Carolina School of the Arts (which she did through YAGP Finals in NYC).  We still have Juilliard, NYU, SUNY Purchase to go!
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsmom
Applied and accepted to University of Arizona dance and North Carolina School of the Arts (which she did through YAGP Finals in NYC).  We still have Juilliard, NYU, SUNY Purchase to go!

SUNY Purchase was on DDs list for a while. I'm not sure what made that come off the list. Congrats on the two acceptances... I've heard great things about both schools!
diane92

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
DD is looking only to dance on a college dance team and major in hospitality management or communications.

Have applied to:  University of Alabama, University of South Carolina, Penn State, University of Delaware, University of Maryland, and Towson.

just waiting to hear something.... probably won't find anything out until mid-December on academic acceptance and then we will deal with tryouts.

whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
North Carolina is very ballet based--which Whitney is very focused on.  It is farther down on her list, but Susan Jaffe is affiliated with the school--teaches there, I believe.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Susan Jaffe is the dean of the department of dance at UNCSA. My understanding is that there are 2 tracks for the dance BFA- ballet and contemporary. They also offer a certificate for those that do not fulfill the academic requirements for the BFA. 
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
All applications are in!!! She may do a minor in dance, so our next step is figuring out which schools require an audition if you just want to minor.  She is looking ar Physician Assistant and Pre-PA programs.

We are now waiting for:
Hofstra, George Mason, St. John's, Purdue, Ohio State, Illinois, UNC-Greensboro, NYU, Oklahoma City, Dayton, and Marquette.

A former teammate apparently got into the dance program at Western Michigan.  It was apparently a quick turnaround?

Anyway, that's where we are. [smile]
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by judie
All applications are in!!! She may do a minor in dance, so our next step is figuring out which schools require an audition if you just want to minor.  She is looking ar Physician Assistant and Pre-PA programs.

We are now waiting for:
Hofstra, George Mason, St. John's, Purdue, Ohio State, Illinois, UNC-Greensboro, NYU, Oklahoma City, Dayton, and Marquette.

A former teammate apparently got into the dance program at Western Michigan.  It was apparently a quick turnaround?

Anyway, that's where we are. [smile]

How exciting!

I have a son who is a PA!  Quite competitive getting into PA graduate programs but...endless job opportunities; he was offered a job at each of his clinical rotation locations! 

I have another son who is at Illinois as he was offered a PhD fellowship in music conducting and he couldn't be more impressed with the university!  His wife (my DIL) just finished her PA graduate schooling and will begin work in Champaign in November, again endless employment opportunities for her there!

DD is thinking about WMU but hasn't completely decided.  They used to have an incredibly strong dance program but DD knows a few weaker dancers in recent years who were admitted to their program so I'm not sure if it has the same strength it once had. 

Best of luck to your DD.  College selection is really a difficult process!

judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Congrats to both of them! It is a great school and area. Both DH and I are alums. Hofstra looks to be the choice. I was impressed that they reserve PA graduate seats for their undergrads. DD is excited about PA work in the medical examiners office. Not much grosses her out. She will be perfect. I personally would like her to go the full route and get her MD, but we will see.
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Western Michigan let the October candidates within a week or two. DD was also accepted. Headed to Point Park for the November audition.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Out of curiosity, how do you motivate your dancers to actually investigate schools?  I feel like I am running up against  a brick wall.  Ash is a Jr, so we have a year to go.  But, over the summer, I asked her to research schools to create a list of possibilities for campus visits, etc.  She came back with 4 schools, 2 of which I consider serious reach schools (one for dance and one for finances).  I have not told her I consider them reach schools because her short list is so short.  

Since then, she has added one more to her list.  This is someone who is seriously considering dance as a future, but does not seem to understand that you don't magically get admitted to the college(s) of your choice and that there is an audition process completely separate from the application process.  Sometimes, I feel like I am pushing too hard, and admittedly, I have an extensive working knowledge of college admissions since I have worked in that field for several years.  But any time I say anything, I get an eye roll.  As much as it killed me, she actually is not dual enrolled in 2 college level courses right now because she missed the deadline.  She gave me the paperwork to sign, I signed it, then she did not turn it in on time, then said "Oh Well!"

I do believe in natural consequences, but this is killing me!  I know it is her life and future, but we agreed to finance 4 years of college, and I seriously do not think she understands the reality of applying for college and auditioning for dance programs.

Any advice on how to help her understand the process(es)?  
dancergirl123

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Find out what's really at the bottom of her disinterest..Overwhelmed by the process/choices? second guessing the dance as a career option? denial that the time to choose is near? 

It could be one or a little of all and her mechanism to deal is "oh well".  My dd is a junior and up until a couple of months ago she was the same. Turns out she just needed a little direction on how to approach it..Even needed and still needs some help. Once I took her to her first college visit (U of A) she LOVED it and is now ALL IN in terms of finding out info etc. 

whatever the reason..be supportive and understanding BUT she needs to be the invested in some way in the process starting now..
diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Mom from the class of 2015 here. 

I had to deal with a similar situation. You have to push a little. I tried to be as understanding and supportive as possible. We sat down and shared how we both felt about the process. Decided what needed to be done and by whom. As for the research, it can be very overwhelming. I did most of the general research and then would pass along a list for her to research. They need to know why they want to apply to a certain program, they have to want to attend. I set a deadline for a final list of schools. Then we sat down and mapped out all the audition dates and application deadlines to see how it all fit together. Most of all I tried to focus on being there for her, being supportive and that I wanted both of us to enjoy the process and our time together. She seemed to respect that and we survived the process and had some fun along the way.
Best wishes to every one this year!
Amomofonedancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I agree. I have never had to push dd regarding school- she is a straight A student.  However, I have had to push a lot for the college process. After discussing and agreeing on what was important in her college choice,  I did most of the research and presented a list to her.  She then researched the universities and told me which ones she was interested in.  I arranged for the college visits to see how she felt after the visits. 

And now we are dealing with lots of deadlines.  I give her a goal every other week and remind her what she needs to complete and when.  It is very complicated because she is applying to universities, to honors programs, and various scholarships and all have different requirements and deadlines. To be honest, this is probably the only time she has every really needed my help to get her through something. Once this round is done in December, we will have a second round in which some scholarships require interviews.  Since she has decided to dance in minor program or dance team, once she gets her scholarship offers, she will see what kinds of programs the universities offer for dance and other extra-curriculars and then decide.

Oddly enough, she has been so immersed in dance all of her life that one of her main priorities in college is social- she wants to be in a sorority.  I think she has finally realized how much she gave up over the years for dance and wants to play catch-up in other areas of her life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diglass
Mom from the class of 2015 here. 

I had to deal with a similar situation. You have to push a little. I tried to be as understanding and supportive as possible. We sat down and shared how we both felt about the process. Decided what needed to be done and by whom. As for the research, it can be very overwhelming. I did most of the general research and then would pass along a list for her to research. They need to know why they want to apply to a certain program, they have to want to attend. I set a deadline for a final list of schools. Then we sat down and mapped out all the audition dates and application deadlines to see how it all fit together. Most of all I tried to focus on being there for her, being supportive and that I wanted both of us to enjoy the process and our time together. She seemed to respect that and we survived the process and had some fun along the way.
Best wishes to every one this year!
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I did 99% of the work for DS. I thought that it was a boy thing. I would research everything and then tell DS about the schools. I set up the auditions. Ds did fill out the applications and write the essays. The most important thing was touring the schools and taking a class. Once DS did that, he got excited and chose his favorite.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Our high school is very proactive in the college search. They start with pre-advising meetings at the end of Freshman year. I think your daughter is probably right on track. Right now you should start visiting colleges and if she is interested in a pre-college summer dance program she should be applying now. But another thing you cannot motivate your daughter to get going with the college search. It has to come from her, As you know dance is very competitive. It sounds like the other poster said something might be going on. Is she your oldest? My first had to be proded to encourage the college thing and she still doesn't love it. Good luck.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I don't like JUMP in and swim parenting but it ended up being the only option I had because she was so overwhelmed at first.  I finally said that she had to pick 8 schools by October 1st.  DD's initial research was haphazard at best and she wasn't particularly involved in the process.  She just rattled off some top 10 dance programs without researching whether they even allowed the science double major.  Thankfully her dance teachers really understood her dance training and her personality/brain capacity so they added some schools to the list - including one neither of us had never heard of!  She didn't get in to the first schools she auditioned at - they weren't good fits and after being there she and the school both confirmed it.  It took that disappointment for her to understand

1.  There is a big process involved and
2.  She had to be actively involved in the process or she wasn't going to find a school she could be happy and successful at.  

Basically I had to cast her out into the process and let her fail before she took over.  Fortunately when I started the application paperwork I had at least started the process at all 8 schools so she hadn't missed any major deadlines for the ones she finally really pursued.  And because DD had done all of the essays herself it was easy for her to change the paperwork as needed quickly when she did get into it.  I agree that the whole process is easily overwhelming.  We didn't have any school assistance as no one had pursued an arts major from her high school in YEARS.  The guidance counselor didn't even know anything about the separate audition process - or the video pre-screenings.  Ironically the best fit was eventually the one her dance instructor suggested!
diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I don't think there has to be anything substantial "going on". Maybe confirm that she truly does want to pursue a dance major. But I have to agree with the posts above. It's just so much different info that it is overwhelming and unless you have dancers who have done this before you, we did not, they don't know where to start! 

It is scary when they put only the top big schools on the list. But you have to at least consider your options/chances. What if they do get in? Also make sure you have discussed a back up plan just in case they don't get in anywhere, that they applied. It does happen. We were considering a gap year or a certificate program. But I really had not done enough research on those either. 

There are BA and BFA programs. Then each school has different dance genre focus. The search has to be a fairly open discussion about what they want or like.

As for the application process, I don't know how any senior can get through the process of applying for an arts degree alone.  They need a lot of support and administrative guidance to stay on top of the deadlines. 
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Completely understand.  I was ready to move out at 10.  Lili hmmd and hawed until her father and I sat her down and laid out options.  She wants to be a Rockette, and she was trying to manipulate the situation so that we had no other option than to support her grand adventure in NYC.  Not happening.

We told her:
1) You can audition.  But you have to have an acceptance from a college to do so.  You can always defer.
2) It is ok to look at NYC schools, however. 1) They have to be affordable 2) They have to include classes that will make you employable after study. NCLB- No CHild Left in my Basement
3) DAd and I can afford X per year in tuition.  ANything beyond that will have to come from scholarship money.  We will not cosign for undergrad loans.  SInce you will need a graduate degree, you should be saving loans for masters and phd.
4) Look at schools that are in IL or close that are affordable and that you can get into as fall back schools.  Realistically, she may not get in to U of I, although I think she will.  Purdue, Iowa, and Ohio State, with scholarships that she may be eligible proved to be more affordable than in-state tuition.  All have great dance teams and opportunities to study dance as a minor to keep skills sharp between auditions.
5) Additional schools either A) have great dance programs, or B) dance teams to be able to keep dance a part of your life.

I had to help her identify some schools.  She narrowed the list (no Iowa, but added Marquette for some reason). 

Then we went on visits.  She hated Vanderbilt.  Did not get a good vibe.  Loved the other schools on the East Coast swing we made.  Going to OKC and Ohio over break to do some visiting.

Pulling teeth, yes.  It has been a struggle.  Lots of tears.  But she knows.  If she doesn't follow through she will be living at home, paying rent, working, and going to junior college next year.  No skin off of my nose.  SHe just loses the opportunity for the full college experience that all of her friends are going to have.  She drives the bus, ultimately, though.
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
 NCLB- No Child Left in my Basement

Best use of this acronym EVER!

trinitymomof2

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
NCLB totally stealing that one! My struggle is getting DD to look at anything in Ohio. She has her heart set on Point Park, but irregardless refuses to give envy thing in-state even a consideration
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
NCLB is going to become viral! Love that especially because we had dd's playroom that later became her schoolroom, in the basement! 

Trinitymomof2, it is funny to read that only because my daughter is headed to Ohio for dance in about 50 days! But she's not going to college for dance. She's working on her degree mainly online while she pursues her career. I think the only way your dd will think more highly of any program in Ohio is if she sees them dance firsthand and is able to try classes. Then she'll really know.

I get the whole dance snobbery thing. It is very hard for my dd to leave NYC and all the opportunities. Where else can you get a class in any style of dance everyday at practically any hour? And, as if to add insult to injury, a choreographer just asked her to be in a piece in NY with his company, the sort of thing she will not get to do as much as a trainee. The performance is after she is gone. But, it's not like she is going to get into NYCB or ABT tomorrow, so she does need to leave to move on to the next step. She is not only a ballet dancer, so it is likely she will be back in NY again some day.
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
I don't have a 2016 kid but I do have a 2017 kid. We live in the Midwest. He doesn't want to major in dance but has started talking to people about dance after hight school.

The stars seem to be aligning for him (as far as career and "hobby" goals). We visited Iowa State on Friday. He wants to major in computer science. At ISU, he can minor in dance with a computer science major. They have a tap dance club, a hip hop club and a contemporary dance company with audition and no audition components. In Ames, there is a ballet school who puts on an annual Nutcracker (who needs adult dancers). There is also a contemporary dance company (not for him but just an example of the arts community there). The weekend before he went to a convention. Talked to the contemporary teacher who is a male dancer. The teacher told him that a lot of male dancers he knows are programmers because the job pays a living wage and is flexible so they can actually dance. Life is looking good for us right now.

The funniest thing from the tour was the current Computer Science student who talked about his summer internship in LA. After, my DS said, "I could go take drop in classes at all those LA studios if I got an internship in LA for the summer." 
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitymomof2
NCLB totally stealing that one! My struggle is getting DD to look at anything in Ohio. She has her heart set on Point Park, but irregardless refuses to give envy thing in-state even a consideration

Do you live in my house?!!! This is exactly where we are at. She will be happy to attend Western Mich. if she doesn't get in to any of the more competitive dance schools, but that's still out-of state tuition. Ugh. Going to Point Park next week.
trinitymomof2

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Musicmom, my DD loved the non traditionalness of the campus. It just felt like the right fit. I'll be curious what u think.

Tendumom where in Ohio will she be? DD has great respect for several companies in Ohio that she has been lucky to take classes ect with, but the idea of going to school with anyone she knows is very unappealing to her. Lol
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.