Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylenek
So we did the UofA audition in September and all of the applications are submitted.  We are going to SMU next weekend and Point Park the following weekend.  She got her first academic acceptance (Point Park) yesterday!  I am using all of the hotel and flight points we can find just to get the auditions done but at least I feel like she will have some direction by Christmas.  Unfortunately one of her first choices (CalState Long Beach - Dance medicine) doesn't even audition until the end of February.

Dance medicine? I have never heard of that. Just briefly looked at their page. Does CalState Long Beach have a good dance program? I love the idea that they merge dance into possible science centered careers such as physical therapy. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #52 
Dance medicine sounds interesting, but in my mind, something one would take in medical school or residency. LOL. Or in PT school. Very cool! 

My daughter had someone from Cal State Long Beach at an SI (ABT-CA). She loved him. Wish I could remember his name. From what she learned, she thought it wa a good program and recommended it to some of her friends. 
heromom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #53 
So my DS started at AMDA Los Angeles and loves it.  If anyone has specific questions about AMDA LA or the audition process just PM me and I will do my best to help.
gypsymelody

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Does anyone have any experience/info about dance program at SUNY Brockport?  DD had an audition at her PA high school and was accepted, but she didn't apply academically yet.
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #55 
Update:  So far my D has completed 4 of her 6 auditions.  She has auditioned at Point Park, Shenandoah, George Mason and uArts.  Here is what she thought so far:

1) Point Park- liked the ballet and jazz portions of the audition.  She didn't care for the modern class though.  She liked the program and the school and facilities, but wasn't crazy about the area of the city that it was in.

2) Shenandoah- loved the audition. Thought the ballet teacher was sweet but not exactly the toughest class she has ever taken.  She was told by current students that the teacher only teaches first year students though, so that's good and she was really nice.  She liked the modern class and she LOVED the jazz class and teacher.  She said if she chose Shenandoah it would probably be because of that teacher alone.  She liked the campus, although it was small, but she likes small, but she didn't think the area was really where she would want to be, she likes access to a city.

3)George Mason- she loved everything at this audition.  She liked all of the teachers, she liked that the current students that were in the class seemed strong.  She liked the campus a bit, although it is much bigger than she would normally like, but she thinks she could deal with that.  She likes that they are in fairly close proximity to DC and everything that has to offer.

4) uArts- This is probably her favorite so far of all of the schools.  She really loved every class and likes that area of the city.  The price tag concerns me, it is definitely one of the costliest programs she is looking at (53k).

5) Montclair- She hasn't auditioned here yet.  She attended their dance day.  It was a little chaotic and that turned her off a bit.  She took two classes, one ballet and one modern.  She liked the classes okay, but because they were really crowded and with so many different levels of dancer, she was not in love with them.  She is going to still audition however, because part of the dance day included their fall showcase.  She loved it!  So she is keeping them as a contender and hopeful that the audition classes will be more of an indication of what the school is like.  She is just okay about the campus, but she does love the proximity to NYC, which is ultimately her fave place ever, lol.

So far she has two acceptances.  She was accepted both academically and artistically to Point Park.  She was accepted as a jazz major, yay! with a nice scholarship.  So that was good!  She was also accepted to George Mason School of Dance.  Scholarship info isn't done until all auditions are completed, so we won't know anything until Feb/March on that.

She has two more auditions, Pace & Montclair and then she will be done, probably!!

Best of luck to everyone else, I hope all of your auditions are going well!  Can't wait to hear about them!!

whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #56 
My dd is just a junior but we just had college week at her PA school.  It is all so exciting, like this amazing ending chapter of a book you have been reading for a long time!  I am fascinated by all of the programs and where everyone is choosing to go...
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #57 
Sounds like things are promising for your dd, nowmomto3. Dd does have at least 2 friends at UArts. I know the one she talked to recently is very happy as a freshman there. She also knows someone she danced with years ago who is a freshman at Montclair. Don't think she is a dance major, might be musical theater. 

Gypsymelody, one of dd's former SI roommates transferred from a classical ballet program to SUNY Brockport after she decided she wanted more of a contemporary emphasis. I believe she is a junior or senior now. Otherwise, I have to admit I was not aware of it at all. I know she is a very strong dancer in general. 

Among dd's friends, she has one who was waitlisted for dance at Arizona. I think it's her first choice, so maybe with it being so early in the season, she will get in eventually. Have been hearing of academic acceptances rolling in, but not dance dept acceptances yet with her other dance friends.  

My dd is very undecided about next year except for college and dance. [smile] The faculty at her new ballet school think she should start doing a few company auditions this year. Dd thinks she needs more training and is considering staying at this school one more year. So, once again, we really have no idea what she will be doing and where she will be living come this fall. I suppose that's no different than if she were applying to college.  
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #58 
@whitsmom  It is exciting!  And what is so interesting about it is the number of programs and what you find out your dancer likes and doesn't like.  From the beginning, my D wanted to be at Pace.  It was actually Pace's program that sold her on being a dance major.  But...the more she looked at schools, the more she became open to other programs.  She ruled out several really great programs because she doesn't want to venture too far away from home or NYC where she ultimately wants to be.  So UofA, Oklahoma City, SMU, Chapman and others were ruled out pretty quickly [frown]  She ruled out a few other great programs bc of different reasons, like Boco, NYU, Fordham and Purchase.  Then she further realized that she wanted a full curriculum that included jazz, pointe, and possibly tap so that narrowed the list further.  As she visited schools, she realized that she likes cities so location became important.  We wanted her to include schools that were "typical" colleges in addition to city schools.  The list seems to be ever evolving as she progresses through the process. Montclair was a new addition just recently because of recommendations that she's received from others.  I think ultimately every dancer chooses the program that is right for them and their goals. 

@tendumom  Good Luck! I think whatever your D chooses will be right for her.  I think staying another year won't hurt her for sure.  I do think that attending a few company auditions couldn't hurt.  Even if she decides to train at her school for another year, she can at least get a few auditions under her belt now so that when she decides to begin auditioning, she will have that experience and will hopefully ease any jitters she has. 

Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #59 
We have a former dancer from our studio that is a dance major at Montclair (she's a sophomore). We also have two other former dancers that are on their dance team (one sophomore and one senior). Seems like they have quite a few options for dance opportunities there. The tuition is not bad and you can't beat the proximity to NYC. Since it's only 10-15 minutes from our house it's one school I think dd will be looking at when it's time for her to think seriously about college (she's only in 8th grade now, but I know it'll be here before I know it).
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #60 
Newmomto3 my son must have been at the same audition for Point Park as your daughter. He was the tall boy with curly reddish brown hair. He has not heard back from them yet. He hasn't taken the ACT yet, so I am thinking that they are waiting to see if he is admitted academically first. Mercyhurst  went ahead and told him that he was admitted with a scholarship for dance first as long as he was admitted to the school. His ACT isn't until December 13 and the waiting is making me crazy!

On December 2, he is auditioning for SMU and in January for UNCSA. After that he is going to the YAGP audition in Austin. It is going to be a long year.
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rb
Newmomto3 my son must have been at the same audition for Point Park as your daughter. He was the tall boy with curly reddish brown hair. He has not heard back from them yet. He hasn't taken the ACT yet, so I am thinking that they are waiting to see if he is admitted academically first. Mercyhurst  went ahead and told him that he was admitted with a scholarship for dance first as long as he was admitted to the school. His ACT isn't until December 13 and the waiting is making me crazy!

On December 2, he is auditioning for SMU and in January for UNCSA. After that he is going to the YAGP audition in Austin. It is going to be a long year.

@mom2rb

Yea, Point Park won't notify you artistically until you have received your academic acceptance, so that's why you haven't heard yet.  Each school is so different with all of that!  It's enough to drive you crazy trying to remember and figure it all out!!

Good Luck at SMU and UNCSA!!!  My D is going to do the YAGP audition in January in Philadelphia.  Not sure how all of that works though!
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #62 
It is fun to see how everyone is doing.  We are finally down to a list that is manageable AND they are all schools with a full academic profile - many with dance science or dance medicine programs.  We have the auditions set and flights booked for 5 of them.  Two had prescreen audition requirements so we are supposed hear this month if she gets an audition.  I have to admit I like that process.  No reason going to travel REALLY far without knowing that they are seriously considering her.

1.  Univ of Michigan - Jan 9 (subject to screening)
2.  Drexel - Philadelphia PA - January 10
3.  Southern Methodist - Dallas - January 24
4.  Muhlenberg - Allentown PA - Feb 6th  (May have to do this by video because of competition schedule)
5.  Cal State - Long Beach - Feb 27
6.  Ball State - Indiana - Feb 14
7.  Elon - North Carolina - March 13 (subject to screening)

GO frequent flyer miles GO!!  But one of her favorites is last so we aren't going to have a clue about where she is going until April.

Berricre8v

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #63 
Looks like a great list, ShayleneK!

If you make it to Muhlenberg, my D will be dancing in the Master Choreographer's showcase that weekend.   (I'll be at the Thursday night show).

Good luck with all of the process!

nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #64 
That looks like a great list Shaylenek!!  A lot of good programs on the list!!!!  I can't wait to hear about how the process goes for you!!  I will be thinking good thoughts for a great audition season for your D!

We are almost done with our auditions.  D had Montclair State on Tuesday and it went really well.  My DH took her to this one, I had been with her on a visit, so it was nice for him to be involved in the process.  He enjoyed it!  She said the Montclair audition was an info session, then a ballet class, a modern class and then solos and an interview.  Lasted from 9 until about 3.

Yesterday, she received her acceptance for uArts!  She was really excited.  We are holding out to see how much scholarship money she will be getting though, because the school is one of the more expensive programs.  Fingers crossed for her! 

The good thing is she has found positives in each program so I think she will be happy wherever she ends up but I know she does have a top choice in her mind [smile] She has one more audition scheduled, this one is for Pace.  She had to push it back due to her nutcracker rehearsals, so she now has an audition in February.  She is looking forward to this audition, this is the more commercial program of the bunch. 

I feel for you about the wait shaylenek, it's nice to have these acceptances and everything, but because the scholarship info is still forthcoming for all of the schools except Point Park, we won't know where she will end up until April either, so we will be with you on the decision making [smile]

I hope auditioning is going well for everyone!  Keep us posted!!  I love hearing about everyone's experiences and thoughts.

JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #65 
I read through these posts but did not see anyone talk about Dean.  It was my understanding that they had a really good dance program.  Does anyone have any feedback about it?
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #66 
I have no personal knowledge of Dean, but a friend works there in the dean's office. She says the dance program is great and has a good reputation, but, of course, she's biased. [biggrin]

We do have several girls at our dance school trying to get into Dean for next year. For one of them, it's her grades that might keep her out.
PickyPotter

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #67 
My dd has a friend at Dean.  She was a little disappointed in the level of instruction, but I think that is because in a lot of college programs they strengthen the basics again.  (I don't think that is a bad thing.)  I have not talked to her since she started her second year so that may have changed.  

I also know that they have a good number of graduates who actually get cast in companies and other professional jobs.  I think that is a check in the pros column.  They also offer tap and are more rounded than a lot of other college programs that really focus on ballet and modern.
mbpiedra

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #68 
Thoughts on Florida State's program welcome.  DD16 has has been looking at Point Park since 7th grade but Florida in state tuition makes FSU very affordable.  She will get i academically anywhere (4.2 gpa as a sophomore). 

We know it is a modern based program and that is her style of choice.  She danced last summer at River North Chicago and loved their style.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #69 
She danced last summer at River North Chicago and loved their style.

mbpierda: My DD is a RVNO kid too!  I know nothing about FSU to help though.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #70 
We are down to 5 schools with 2 auditions left and 3 we are just waiting for responses from!  She decided to withdraw her application at Muhlenberg because we couldn't attend the audition and she has some strong preferences already for schools she knows more about.  And she decided not to audition at SMU a second time.  So we are making progress.  Hope auditions are going well for others.  It has been hard to explain the process to her school teachers since she is missing a day every other week it seems.  We are in a geographic area without an arts presence but they are being more patient now that I have talked with each of them.  I am tired of flights and hotel rooms though [wink]
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #71 
DS has been accepted with scholarships to Mercyhurst and Point Park. He didn't get accepted into the dance program at SMU, the audition was all Jazz, not his strong suit. He has the YAGP college audition in Austin next week-end and if he makes it to New York for the finals then he will go to the New York audition too. I am glad that he has scholarships to two very good schools. Now we are just waiting to see if there are anymore that he might get to choose from.
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #72 
nowmomto3, how did the YAGP audition in Philadelphia go? 
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #73 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rb
nowmomto3, how did the YAGP audition in Philadelphia go? 

Congrats on your S getting in Mercyhurst and Point Park!!  Good luck at YAGP this weekend!!!  Exciting!

My D decided to forgo the YAGP audition.  At that point she was already accepted into several programs and tbh she was a little disappointed with the list of schools that were at Philadelphia.  There weren't any programs that she was really interested in applying to for various reasons.  Can't wait to hear how everything goes this weekend for your S!

nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #74 
I'm wondering if any one else's dancer has had a hard time deciding.  My d has several options and she is having the toughest time deciding. She is pretty easy going and I think that makes it harder.  She likes things about each of the schools she was accepted to. I feel bad, I help her with the pros and cons but beyond that I don't know how else to help her with making this decision.  I even kept thinking maybe she should have looked at more schools.  She is happy with her choices though, just not having the easiest time deciding, she can see herself at several of these.  Good problem to have, I know.

She has been accepted to:

Point Park- Jazz Major
University of the Arts
Shenandoah University
George Mason
Montclair State
Pace (waiting on dance decision)

If anyone has any ideas on any of these schools, pros/cons etc that maybe provides some info that we haven't thought of yet, let me know!
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #75 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowmomto3
I'm wondering if any one else's dancer has had a hard time deciding.  My d has several options and she is having the toughest time deciding. She is pretty easy going and I think that makes it harder.  She likes things about each of the schools she was accepted to. I feel bad, I help her with the pros and cons but beyond that I don't know how else to help her with making this decision.  I even kept thinking maybe she should have looked at more schools.  She is happy with her choices though, just not having the easiest time deciding, she can see herself at several of these.  Good problem to have, I know.

She has been accepted to:

Point Park- Jazz Major
University of the Arts
Shenandoah University
George Mason
Montclair State
Pace (waiting on dance decision)

If anyone has any ideas on any of these schools, pros/cons etc that maybe provides some info that we haven't thought of yet, let me know!

That's a really diverse list! It's great to have so many options. My dd18 was struggling with her decision for a while. 2 things helped. 1- I asked her which school she'd rather spend 4 years at if she wasn't thinking about the dance part. Just considered the campus, the city, the extracurriculars, the social stuff and the academics. That took half the choices out of the running. 2-I asked her which place she felt at home in. Which place made her feel excited and made her want to hurry up and get there.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: