Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
I forgot to post, thanks Mooseysbiggestfan for that great post!  I found it very informative and had my dd read it! She said thank you too!  I think you could go into business as a college dance advisor! 

My daughter wants to be at a place that offers many electives outside of the ballet, modern and jazz realm, so Uarts definitely seems to meet that criteria.  She is now researching Montclair State, I was wondering if you knew if they have the broad range of disciplines offered. 

Gizheiuranin

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Sorry PS mom didn't see your comment

Pace sucks.I would advise students not to got there, because they'll become dumber when they get out. The tuition is close to 40k a year and they give students a hard time with scholarships and financial aid. The academics suck. The work is too easy. The professors are all very passionate, often professionals in the publishing field, however, they can only be as good as the school want their department to be. It doesn't matter if you're an honors student or not students will most likely never be challenged, nor will they really grow much from class to class. I believe their grad rate is 55% and retention rate is in the 70s. However booking a gig that requires the student to be on tour or on set for an extended amount of time can affect the numbers. The big factor is New York itself. I suspect a good number of the student body enroll to "be in New York" (just like some students enroll at NYU) as opposed to "be at Pace" (at least this is why the kids i know chose pace) Unlike NYU, Pace is a easy school to get into academically. Weaker academic pools generally mean more drop outs. Couple that with kids who may not be prepared for the big city life. Many students transfer.

Their dance program is really strong. I believe students are taught by broadway professionals.They have been able to use their dance training to pursue a successful career performing in all different outlets. There is always an opportunity to perform and be involved. The program is selective. However the college is garbage. There are too many better colleges all over the place to attend Pace.

Not trying to scareanyone just what I think of Pace [wink]
csdancemom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Gizheiuranin - Did you or your dancer attend Pace or or were you a teacher there? Curious about where your obtained your facts since you are clearly passionate about the fact that the school "sucks".
cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #29 
nowmomto3

My DD is at Point Park. She only applied to Juilliard and Point Park. She is a BFA Dance major with Modern/Jazz dual concentration.  She is very happy with her choice - both for academics and dance.  She has done a fair bit of tap in the past and a semester of tap is required for the BFA.  The tap teacher on faculty is a former Rockette. The tap number in last year's faculty show was so entertaining and my DD said it was very challenging.

mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
 My son is auditioning for SMU, Point Park and Mercyhurst in October.  Point Park and Mercyhurst are one day apart, so that makes traveling easier. He also wants to try UNCSA. After that I don't know how many other schools he will audition for. A lot of his teachers have graduated from Point Park, they all say great things about it.
cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #31 
nowmomto3 --  I got your pm and I just to post here to let you know that I responded  (in case there was a problem with my reply, not sure if it worked)
Berricre8v

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #32 
My D auditioned at Pace last year.   We were a bit turned off when Rhonda Miller, head of the dance department, was telling the group of hundreds of prospective dancers that "if you make it into the dance department, you still have to be accepted academically...but ANYONE can get in academically" and then the rest of the panel laughed along with her.   That, coupled with the exorbitant tuition for OOS students, and not great scholarships (D would have qualified for top academic scholarship, but still would have had to pay over $45K/yr) made her cross that school off her list before she even got her audition results.  That being said, she did not get accepted into the dance program.  We were told that there were over 450 that auditioned for 30-40 spots (can't remember the exact number, but it was low).

It does seem like a fantastic dance program, if you have a lot of money to spend and are not concerned with the reputation of the academics that accompany the school.

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Some of what I read about Pace here is similar to what I have heard over the years. Academically, not a place with a stellar reputation. However, for those looking to end up as working performers, I think the performing arts programs there have developed a good reputation fairly quickly.
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #34 
DD is a junior. She is looking at schools that have reputable dance majors that also offer minors. Really she is just starting to look so I am glad she at list of any kind. Tonight's short list after looking through the Dance Spirit College Guide is Point Park, Wayne St., Marymount, Indiana, Chapman, and PACE. She knows someone who is or will be going to all of them except Chapman. Thoughts?

Berricre8v, very interesting insight on Pace.

pinnellmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Don't forget to look at Slippery Rock University.  It was just voted as #2 dance schools in PA.  I am very proud at how well my DD has done there.  She is a senior and will graduate in December.  It is a wonderful program and such opportunities for growth.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by classydance
I had another couple of thoughts:

1.  This thread could really turned towards "How do you know if a program is good??"  So, for me, these are the things that make the program good: a) what the graduates do after the program and if what they do matches your goals.  IMO most of these dance programs are pretty thin/non-specific about what their students do.  It will say something like, "With many students working on Broadway." But when you go to shows and read the bios you almost never see the name of that college. Of the programs that you mentioned, Pointe Park IS the one school where I see grads doing the kind of stuff that your DD wants to do (Rockette, MT on Broadway, Touring Shows). However, that's a reach school for almost everyone. They accept 8-10% of the applicants.  So, just tell your DD.

2. Pay attention to what Gizheiuranin           is telling you.  Getting information that is NOT so complimentary is just as helpful and important as getting glowing reviews. Probe that.

3. If she has a goal to be a Rockette, then solid ballet base is important and she must be 5'6 at least. You might take a look at Oklahoma City Univ. They have a # of students who have done what you want.  I know that you are interested in East Coast, but for what you want to do, that program appears to have a pretty solid reputation.

4. If a program does not require an audition, then it is probably not a competitive program.

5.  Have you considered School of the Arts in NC?  That campus is a very "arts" community with all arts students, tons of stages, a film making school, costume shops, a music program. . . . You could take voice.  I don't know what their record is in the area that you want.

So glad you mentioned #3 and #4.  My daughter wants to minor in dance with the shot at being a Rockette, but when we started researching Marymount, we found that it was largely a commuter school and didn't offer what we wanted academically.  Point Park, while I appreciate the jazz and contemporary focus, I don't think lends itself to Rockette-dom.  This is why we put NC and OKCU on the list.  Like I said, she is looking to keep up her skills as a dancer, but also prepare for real life beyond dance.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #37 
I just wanted to thank everyone for posting on this thread.  Ash is a sophomore, and she is looking to either double major in education and dance, or major/minor in those two areas.  While I did order the Dance College guide, it is nice to see information from current and past students.  

The one thing I have picked up is the fact that Ash has not narrowed down what she really wants to do with dance beyond studio/college besides "dance professionally" and possibly teach.  Once she figures that out, it will be easier to determine which programs will meet her needs!

Thanks again!
pinnellmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #38 

jswsqrdplus - your dgt doesn't really need to know what she truly wants to do when she graduates at this time.  She needs to focus on programs that will help her grow as a dancer.  My DD when she was looking at various schools focused on modern and ballet - her two weakest areas.  She is a wonderful tapper and jazz is really pretty good too.  She felt you need to be a well-rounded dancer and learn as many different styles as she could to make yourself as marketable as possible.  She is now a senior dance major, getting ready to graduate in December with her undergrad.  She has taken advantage of as many master classes as she could.  She has been in the Afro-Colombian Dance Ensemble and studied and spent 5 weeks in India one summer learning Bhartanatym.  She also found a minor that was perfect for what she would like to do down the road - which is work with kids with special needs.  So she got a minor in Adaptive Physical Activity and has also started graduate classes in that as a Master's program.   She will actually finish up her Master classes by May - do an internship and be totally done by next summer with undergrad and masters.  She really would like to perform for a time if at all possible.  She is looking at cruise lines and dance companies all over the place.  It is a competitive world out there so she is trying to have as much under her belt as she can.  She did not feel ready as an 18 year old to head out into the dance world.  Not sure if she is entirely ready at this point either but is getting there. [eek]

My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Well I am feeling MUCH less overwhelmed.  We met with DD17's new guidance counselor yesterday.  She now has 5 schools she will apply to (final answer -finally) and we are able to do what is called a "common-app".  She will do one application and it will go to all 5 schools...and ONE application fee.  YIPPEEE!  I am very impressed with DD.  She seems to have put lots of thought in to this.  I learned she is concerned about taking loans for housing costs , but she understands this will be necessary.  The tuition program in our city only covers tuition.   She has looked at how much housing will be at each of the final schools she chose to apply to and actually chose one school that would allow her to live at home , even though they don't have a dance program , she would apply to their theater program. (Another love of hers , that she has had to give up for the most part).  All in all I feel much better , we have a plan and a time frame and I have exhaled a bit.  [smile] 

She will apply to

Brockport
University at Buffalo
Purchase
Potsdam
Syracuse University
Berricre8v

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #40 
That's great!   Next on the list is making a schedule of available audition dates for each of those programs, and then figuring out what dates will work for you at each one.  
Good luck to your D! (and you!)

My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berricre8v
That's great!   Next on the list is making a schedule of available audition dates for each of those programs, and then figuring out what dates will work for you at each one.  
Good luck to your D! (and you!)

Yes!!  I actually planned to make note of all the audition dates today.  I am sure this is where it will get tricky with audition/dance conflicts.  I definitely understand why some seniors choose to cut back some their senior year.  Fitting all this in is going to be a task for sure!
heromom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #42 
My DS was accepted to Pace, AMDA and OCU.  While I feel Pace has an outstanding program for commercial dance he decided AMDA was a better fit for him and his long term goals.  I think it is important to find a school that is well rounded, meaning they teach all genres, voice, acting and other things you need to know about the business.  Most importantly she needs to figure out the best fit for her and her long term goals.  AMDA has a NYC campus.
ohiodancer5678

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by csdancemom
Gizheiuranin - Did you or your dancer attend Pace or or were you a teacher there? Curious about where your obtained your facts since you are clearly passionate about the fact that the school "sucks".

Hi csdancemom! I'm currently a junior in Pace's BFA Commercial Dance program. Message me and we can discuss Pace in further, positive detail! <3
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Audition #1 done!  Point Park was very nice, great facilities. D really enjoyed her audition.  It was a great experience for her first audition.  Next auditions aren't until mid-November so she has a few weeks off then she has 4 auditions in two weeks [smile]

Good luck to everyone auditioning and searching for colleges!
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #45 
My son was at the Point Park audition too. He also went to the Mercyhurst audition on Friday.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 

Good luck to all the dancers on their auditions. 

Does Point Park do rolling acceptances? When will they hear? 

It feels a little strange to not be dealing with the whole college thing and yet, I have a senior. I will have to live vicariously through you all! 
Dd is now considering staying an additional year at her current/new ballet school. There are several dancers in her level who have already graduated high school, so it wouldn't be odd by any means. She's just thinking she may need more than a year with these teachers to become the dancer she hopes to be. She'll continue her college education on-line, as she has been doing, one course at a time, throughout much of high school. 

nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

Good luck to all the dancers on their auditions. 

Does Point Park do rolling acceptances? When will they hear? 

It feels a little strange to not be dealing with the whole college thing and yet, I have a senior. I will have to live vicariously through you all! 
Dd is now considering staying an additional year at her current/new ballet school. There are several dancers in her level who have already graduated high school, so it wouldn't be odd by any means. She's just thinking she may need more than a year with these teachers to become the dancer she hopes to be. She'll continue her college education on-line, as she has been doing, one course at a time, throughout much of high school. 

Yes, Point Park does have rolling admission.  My D just rec'd her academic acceptance today actually, but she still needs to hear back from the dance department.  Their first audition was this past weekend.  They said it takes 2-4 weeks to get the admission decisions after the auditions.

I think if my D had her way, she would probably do the BDC professional semester and start auditioning for things, she really just wants to dance all day/every day.  But she is going the college route for now.

cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #48 
As nowmomto3 - yes for the Point Park rolling admissions.  My DD was at one of the last dates when she auditioned.  She got her artistic acceptance first and then had to wait for the academic results since she didn't do the SATs until after the dance audition. The waiting was tense since Point Park was the only place she wanted to go.
PickyPotter

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Just to weigh in on Pace as well...We know a dance freshman at NYU.  She got into a lot of good dance programs (attending NYU).  She did not get into Pace.  She was a shoe in academically but their dance program is very competitive.  She was disappointed because Pace was her first choice because they really seem to know how to teach a dancer to become a working dancer.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #50 
So we did the UofA audition in September and all of the applications are submitted.  We are going to SMU next weekend and Point Park the following weekend.  She got her first academic acceptance (Point Park) yesterday!  I am using all of the hotel and flight points we can find just to get the auditions done but at least I feel like she will have some direction by Christmas.  Unfortunately one of her first choices (CalState Long Beach - Dance medicine) doesn't even audition until the end of February.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: