Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 5     «   Prev   2   3   4   5
diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #101 
Very Proud to say my D has been accepted into Boston Conservatory! 

She is on the wait list at NYU/Tisch and Marymount Manhatan.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #102 
DD17 auditioned for the Ailey certificate program as well as the dance program at Brockport this weekend.  Now we wait. 

Congrats to everyone on all the good news!
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #103 
I've been following this thread on and off (my DD will be in the application process next year), but don't know if anyone will be attending Marymount Manhattan.  Have any of your DD's chosen this school?  I ask because my DD was talking with a bunch of her convention friends at NYCDA Philly this weekend... the ones who are seniors... and there is a group of INSANELY talented dancers who will be starting there in the fall.  I'd say there were probably about a half dozen kids there, who have been friends in the convention/comp circuit since they were walking... all amazing... who are all attending Marymount.  I don't know how many kids are accepted to the program each year, but based on the ones I know are going (the kids from this weekend as well as some others), the class of 2019 is going to be AMAZING!!
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #104 
My suggestion for all who will go through the process next year is to go visit the programs. Take a class if they'll allow it. You can read and read and research forever and you still won't know if it's a good fit until you go
dancegirlz

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #105 
Definitely agree on being able to take a class if possible.  If you can't, look into whether you can at least observe.  The other thing I would suggest is that you check out when the school's dance department is doing a performance, and try to plan your audition/visit accordingly.  We were able to see performances at Univ of Az and Pace, and they definitely influenced my D's thinking.  SUNY Purchase had performances on audition dates as well, but unfortunately we were unable to stay. 
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #106 

Congrats to everyone on these great acceptances!!!  So happy for the Class of 2015!

I definitely want to say how important it is to take classes and watch performances of these programs.  The performances are what took some schools off of my D list and what moved others up on the list.  Take the classes, most schools will let you take a class or two.  Another thing that my D did that was really helpful was to go on youtube.  By watching some of the students videos, and most especially their self choreography for seniors, she was able to see how they were influenced these past four years.  That helped form an overall impression for my D of the program.

Best of luck to the upcoming junior dancers.  My other piece of advice is, enjoy the process!!  You are going to be stressed with all of the planning and travelling, but it was probably the best year my D and I had, so I hope you all enjoy it as well!!

Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #107 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowmomto3

Congrats to everyone on these great acceptances!!!  So happy for the Class of 2015!

I definitely want to say how important it is to take classes and watch performances of these programs.  The performances are what took some schools off of my D list and what moved others up on the list.  Take the classes, most schools will let you take a class or two.  Another thing that my D did that was really helpful was to go on youtube.  By watching some of the students videos, and most especially their self choreography for seniors, she was able to see how they were influenced these past four years.  That helped form an overall impression for my D of the program.

Best of luck to the upcoming junior dancers.  My other piece of advice is, enjoy the process!!  You are going to be stressed with all of the planning and travelling, but it was probably the best year my D and I had, so I hope you all enjoy it as well!!

Yessss! The time together is the best part. The stress is real so take every chance you can along the way to enjoy each other's company. Some of our favorite moments were things that went wrong. Getting lost on campus (every campus) leads to the best meetings with current students. These students light up at the chance to tell your dd how much she will love their school. Me having to back down the entrance ramp to a parking garage led to meeting another mom and her Dd who live on the opposite coast from us because she was equally lost, recognized a fellow dancer due to the bun and posture and who is now my dd's first real friend at her new college. Forgetting to pack a dress to wear to the dance showcase led to a quick shopping trip in a college town. We had no clue where to go so we asked our waiter who called his girlfriend for advice. The girlfriend sent us a list complete with directions and a short description of the styles available at each shop plus her contact info and an offer to show my dd around the Greek community. So whatever happens just have fun with it!
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #108 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
 Forgetting to pack a dress to wear to the dance showcase led to a quick shopping trip in a college town. We had no clue where to go so we asked our waiter who called his girlfriend for advice. The girlfriend sent us a list complete with directions and a short description of the styles available at each shop plus her contact info and an offer to show my dd around the Greek community. So whatever happens just have fun with it!

This is probably the best college visit story I've ever heard!!  LOL [biggrin]
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #109 
We just returned from Point Park and DD junior is IN LOVE. She loves the size. She loves that it is in a city. She loves all the options for minors in other arts (or anything else). She is interested in jazz or modern. She likes the idea of both BA and BFA. So my question for veteran college dance moms is what other schools do you think fit what she loved there? She is going to look at Pace and go through her dance college guide again. She has been there, but not for a college visit. A performing arts high school was not an option for us, and she had to give up a lot of arts opportunities in her HS in order to dance. I think this is why she is so excited about looking at a school that has a large performing arts concentration. 
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #110 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom
We just returned from Point Park and DD junior is IN LOVE. She loves the size. She loves that it is in a city. She loves all the options for minors in other arts (or anything else). She is interested in jazz or modern. She likes the idea of both BA and BFA. So my question for veteran college dance moms is what other schools do you think fit what she loved there? She is going to look at Pace and go through her dance college guide again. She has been there, but not for a college visit. A performing arts high school was not an option for us, and she had to give up a lot of arts opportunities in her HS in order to dance. I think this is why she is so excited about looking at a school that has a large performing arts concentration. 

UArts and AMDA in either NYC or LA
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #111 
Thanks, Psmom. I had mentioned UArts, but right I think now she is more comfortable with places where she knows of people who are there. I have a couple of contacts who were accepted there and one who graduated. A trip to Philly and back to NYC for Pace and AMDA would be doable this summer.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #112 
Quote:
Thanks, Psmom. I had mentioned UArts, but right I think now she is more comfortable with places where she knows of people who are there. I have a couple of contacts who were accepted there and one who graduated. A trip to Philly and back to NYC for Pace and AMDA would be doable this summer.

One of my dd18's closest friends is at UArts. I'd be happy to put you in touch with her if you want
heromom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #113 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
Quote:
UArts and AMDA in either NYC or LA

My son is at AMDA LA.  Please feel free to PM me any questions!
Kitzka

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #114 
Just wanted to,congratulate all of the class of 2015! It's been a pleasure reading your thoughts, comments, acceptances etc.

My daughter will be part of the class of 2016. She is looking of a school,with strong dance as well as a good computer science program. I hope to be a regular contributor to that thread when it's started.

Again congrats to all the moms and dancers.

Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #115 
We don't have a college deposit paid yet but the graduation announcements are mailed!!  Still waiting for financial aid package.  ARGH
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #116 
Shaylenek, we are the opposite. I have paid the deposit for Mercyhurst, but am waiting for the announcements to arrive. I just ordered them on Monday.
ohiodancer5678

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #117 
Quote:

Hi musicmom!!
I'm currently a junior in Pace's BFA Commercial Dance Program!! Feel free to message me with any questions!! [smile]
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #118 
I posted previously DD17 auditioned for Ailey certificate program and Brockport.   She was accepted as a dance major at Brockport , Ailey was a no. [smile]
diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #119 
@My2DanceLoves Congratulations! 
kattididd

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #120 
The one school that I have not seen mentioned (may have overlooked it) is Youngstown State. My niece was accepted to University of Buffalo, Point Park, Slippery Rock, and Youngstown State.  She chose Youngstown State because of the dance management program and how they incorporate theatre into the major. Her official major is Dance Management with a minor in theatre.  Although her goal is to dance, she knows that it won't last forever. She wants to teach dance as well as perform.
trinitymomof2

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #121 
DD is just a junior but we are trying to be super prepared. We were headed to Pittsburgh last weekend for my nieces grad party so we scheduled visits at Slippery Rock, because I went there and Point Park because it has always been at the top of her list. She surprised herself by liking SRU. She kinda had a bad attitude about it just because it's my alma mater. Lol When we went to Point Park the next day we all kinda had a huge aha moment, she loved it, we loved it and I could totally see her in that environment. We still have several others to look at but right now Point Park is definitely the one to beat!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: