Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #76 
Congrats on so many acceptances! Did you/she observe classes at any of these schools? I think a lot can be learned from observing classes. Someone posted on here (I think) that they knew some dancers who were disappointed in the classes when they started school. If my D receives more than one acceptance  we plan to observe classes before she decides. 
I also have started to notice how my D looks when she finishes an audition. Some she seemed just soso and some she seemed truly Happy. 

Try to ask where she really enjoyed the audition classes. Were those instructors inspiring? Did she like all of the audition classes or just one? Which classes were comfortable and which classes were challenging? 

Just some things to think about. Good luck!

mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #77 
PSmom, congratulations to your daughter. How great to have so many options! 

I would love to hear what you or your daughter thought of the VA and PA schools, especially George Mason. We are in VA.  DD is a serious ballet dancer and wants to keep that her focus so I'm thinking she will need to look out-of-state for that so would appreciate any thoughts your DD had - it appears she may be more of a jazz dancer though from the Point Park acceptance?
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #78 
mom2tall, my son is a Ballet dancer. He was accepted to Point Park in the Ballet department.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #79 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tall

I would love to hear what you or your daughter thought of the VA and PA schools, especially George Mason. We are in VA.  DD is a serious ballet dancer and wants to keep that her focus so I'm thinking she will need to look out-of-state for that so would appreciate any thoughts your DD had - it appears she may be more of a jazz dancer though from the Point Park acceptance?

I think the list you saw was nowmomto3's list. I am in VA though. If your dd is really ballet focused you should look at the University of South Carolina. They have an outstanding ballet program. They were reviewed by Dance Spirit last year. None of the VA schools we visited had a really strong ballet program. George Mason seemed more modern focused but has a great dance department.

ETA- if she gets accepted there she automatically gets in state tuition and possibly more.
There being South Carolina
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #80 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tall

My D is looking for more of a jazz program, but ballet is a strength.  My D liked George Mason's audition, the campus, and the facilities.  She liked the director and the program seems pretty good.  It is definitely modern based. 

Out of all of the schools that my D auditioned at, she felt UArts was the strongest in ballet instruction.  She really liked the different instructors she worked with and she also took a few classes there and enjoyed the ballet each time.

Good luck to your D!!
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #81 
Very happy to say that we have gotten full acceptances from 2 of the 5 schools so far!!  I am not supposed to say anything because DD is afraid I will jinx her so no one tell her grandma or anything [wink]
mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #82 
Congrats to your daughter Shaylenek!  I hope you will let us know how it plays out after she has heard from all 5. I would also love to hear how she makes her final decision and what she thought about all the programs.
dancegirlz

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #83 
We're anxiously awaiting the remainder of D's notifications, and am curious as to whether others have heard from any of them yet, or . D got 3 big envelopes in the mail last Saturday (2 acceptances and 1 financial aid), so that was a banner day and at least now she has more than one option. :-).

Here's the status so far:

University of the Arts - Accepted w/financial aid pkg
SUNY Purchase - Accepted, still awaiting financial aid pkg
PACE - Accepted academically w/financial aid pkg, still waiting to hear about dance
Boston Conservatory - Still waiting
NYU Tisch - Still waiting

She did also apply to Univ of Az and got in academically but didn't get into the dance program. She got great feedback from the other students while she was there, but I guess it wasn't in the cards. She handled the news surprisingly well; in part, I think because she really loves NYC so is hoping to land there (Tisch is her dream school).

I've got another D who was a dancer through high school, but decided to to the business/IT route in college because she wanted to "make money". ;-) The process is so different for an academic major - I think she had her decision made by February!
MagicLAdance

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #84 
@dancegirlz Congrats on your D's acceptances!! My D's friend did receive a phone call from Pace last week telling her she was accepted in the commercial dance program. 
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #85 
We finished the last audition yesterday! ! Status is currently
California State Long Beach - Accepted school and dance, waiting for aid info
Drexel - Accepted and scholarship for dance, waiting for school acceptance and full aid info
Elon - Auditioned yesterday and expect answer this week
Michigan - Accepted academically but wait listed for BFA
Ball State - Accepted school, Honors program and dance, waiting for dance scholarship info

I think she has some really great options with 3 top tier dance science programs. Just wish we would get all of the info so we can be done. I expect her to be at CSULB or Elon.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #86 
Just have to say that I am relieved and excited - finally.  The kiddo got her Elon acceptances yesterday and gave me the go ahead to withdraw her application at a few of the schools.  So now we have focused, informed, admitted options and are just going to have to wait for financial aid packages!!
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #87 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylenek
Just have to say that I am relieved and excited - finally.  The kiddo got her Elon acceptances yesterday and gave me the go ahead to withdraw her application at a few of the schools.  So now we have focused, informed, admitted options and are just going to have to wait for financial aid packages!!

Yay!!!! So happy for you both. Nothing feels better than finally getting through this whole process. I thought I knew what we were in for but it's so much more stressful than I'd expected.
jlm645

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #88 
It's so cool to go back to September and see all of the audition questions and now to see all of the acceptances and decisions.  So many dreams and plans coming together, along with learning to manage disappointment, make a new plan, and keep moving forward.  Warms my heart and makes me excited for the whole process of growing up that is in front of my kids. Thanks for sharing.
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #89 
I just wrote the deposit check. DS is going to Mercyhurst. They offered the most in scholarships and it was his favorite school. I am happy and glad to have the decision made.
jdlw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #90 
Quote:

Congrats! I just wanted to comment that I think it is very considerate of her to withdraw from the programs she knows she can rule out. By doing that ( Instead of sitting on things until the deadline to let the school know) , you may be making another dancers dream come true...a dancer who has there heart set on one of the schools your daughter was accepted into but isn't going to go to...maybe a dancer who is anxiously waiting to hear back on auditions ( And who otherwise might not be let in or would be waitlisted otherwise… But because the school knows they have another opening this person might get in). Good luck with the final decision!!!
esmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #91 
Quote:

Congrats on the Elon acceptance. I find the department and the faculty very committed to helping students achieve their goals, performance and otherwise. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good aid package.
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #92 
Congrats to everyone on their acceptances!  So happy it is working out well for our dancers! For those still waiting, keep us posted on their decisions and where they decide to go!!!  I love to hear about all of the different college dance programs [smile]
PickyPotter

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #93 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancegirlz

She did also apply to Univ of Az and got in academically but didn't get into the dance program. She got great feedback from the other students while she was there, but I guess it wasn't in the cards. She handled the news surprisingly well; in part, I think because she really loves NYC so is hoping to land there (Tisch is her dream school).

Just a note about AZ.  As you know it is very selective but we heard from a few students in the program that most successful students audition more than one time.  One of my dd's friends did both National audition dates.  

Good luck on NYU or whatever school she wants.  [smile]
dancegirlz

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #94 
@PickyPotter - thank you.  She did audition twice.  First was in the classroom environment with other students; second time at the last national audition.   She does know several other dancers that got accepted after their second audition, so I would definitely advise people to not be discouraged if they don't get the results they're looking for after the first audition.
dancegirlz

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #95 
Last 2 acceptances came in today - Boston Conservatory & Tisch.  D is over the moon! [smile]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #96 
Fabulous news!! How nice to have such wonderful choices! Any clue where she is leaning towards, dancgirlz? 
dancegirlz

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #97 
@tendumom, it looks like she is headed to Tisch.  She has wanted to go there forever, so it is a dream come true for her. [smile]  She has been forewarned that we prob won't be going on any vacations in the foreseeable future (she is the last one at home), and she volunteered to sell her old costumes and her jr. prom dress to help pay for her living expenses LOL. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #98 
She will love being in NYC! Dd has really thrived just being there and dancing there daily.

(Will avoid thinking about the tuition portion of that!)
diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #99 
 @dancegirlz, Congratulations on Tisch and Boston Conservatory!
DanceMomCT

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #100 
Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances!!  And thank you for sharing your experiences, for those of us who may follow your DKs path the information is worth its weight in gold.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: