Author   Comment  
angelashunter

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What is your advice?  Thanks!!
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Getting new ones... I find they wear out very fast and after they get dirty, they get holes. They are not that expensive, I usually keep a couple new pairs on hand at all times! My daughter will go through a pair a month at the least.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My daughter loves her filthy and hole filled, and it's so gross!  The new ones are in her bag, waiting until the old shoes are finally "ruined" - whatever that means.  

But I second just replacing them.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I've washed canvas ballet shoes.  I just threw them in the washer in a laundry bag then hung to dry.  It removed some of the dirt and most of the smell.  Once I tried spraying them with "Shout" first but they did not recover from that.  The suede got kind of stiff and slimy.  I don't know how else to describe it.

On a side note, one of the things that really bothered me over the past year was how dirty my daughter's canvas ballet flats and pointe shoes got, and quickly.  In the past, they were serious about keeping the floors clean and in good repair, and no one would think of wearing street shoes into a studio or walking out to a car in dance shoes.  Part of the general decline in the school itself seemed mirrored in the their lack of concern for the condition of the floors.  It only added to the feeling that the students and dancers were unimportant.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Add me to the club of just buy new ones.  They aren't expensive compared to other dance shoes so we just replace them when they get too nasty.
angelashunter

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks, everyone.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith
I've washed canvas ballet shoes.  I just threw them in the washer in a laundry bag then hung to dry.  It removed some of the dirt and most of the smell.  Once I tried spraying them with "Shout" first but they did not recover from that.  The suede got kind of stiff and slimy.  I don't know how else to describe it.

On a side note, one of the things that really bothered me over the past year was how dirty my daughter's canvas ballet flats and pointe shoes got, and quickly.  In the past, they were serious about keeping the floors clean and in good repair, and no one would think of wearing street shoes into a studio or walking out to a car in dance shoes.  Part of the general decline in the school itself seemed mirrored in the their lack of concern for the condition of the floors.  It only added to the feeling that the students and dancers were unimportant.

The studio we are leaving was like this. They always blames the dirty floors on the tap shoes, but when you never swiffer or mop the floors it's going to get dirty. (We were lucky if they took out the trash.) Everyone walks through the dirty lobby through the studio. While many try to put dance shoes on before they enter, the DT is usually calling the class in street or dance shoes on. Then there's the other studio in back where they do acro. Those students go straight back in street shoes, passing through the studio.

shewolf

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Magic eraser LOL I always clean her shoes before pics and the recital and it is quick, painless and has never hurt her shoes.  Now the bottom well I give up on that and yeah I have been guilty of the washing machine in a pillowcase then stuff with a bag and let dry.  Oh and tap shoes mary janes with some vasoline and a rag others magic eraser too
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shewolf
Magic eraser LOL I always clean her shoes before pics and the recital and it is quick, painless and has never hurt her shoes.  Now the bottom well I give up on that and yeah I have been guilty of the washing machine in a pillowcase then stuff with a bag and let dry.  Oh and tap shoes mary janes with some vasoline and a rag others magic eraser too

You use Magic Eraser on canvas? It works? I must know if it works on canvas?
DanceForFun

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I didn't realize how dirty my DDs ballet shoes and "turning shoes" were until picture day. I was mortified. lol
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
This has become such an issue with me that I now look at pictures studios post and note how dirty the ballet shoes are.  It seems like the more serious the studio is about technique, the less likely to have pictures of dirty shoes on their facebook and websites.  But that may just be me and my personal pet peeves and biases talking.  I did get a survey from the old studio and one of the questions was about the cleanliness of the facility.  Actually, about the dirtiness of the facility.  I guess someone registered my complaint, or I wasn't the only one complaining!
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith
This has become such an issue with me that I now look at pictures studios post and note how dirty the ballet shoes are.  It seems like the more serious the studio is about technique, the less likely to have pictures of dirty shoes on their facebook and websites.  But that may just be me and my personal pet peeves and biases talking.  I did get a survey from the old studio and one of the questions was about the cleanliness of the facility.  Actually, about the dirtiness of the facility.  I guess someone registered my complaint, or I wasn't the only one complaining!

Our old studio knew not to ask about the cleanliness of the facility. It was always so dirty. They don't have a cleaning person and none of the teachers or other employees think it's their job to clean.

As far as cleanliness in pictures, I think the correlation is that the better studios who tend to also charge more, tend to have better photographers who pay attention to details like clean shoes or DTs/SOs that have their students clean the shoes before performances and pictures. Our new studio requires practice shoes then separate shoes for performances and pictures. They expect practice shoes to be too worn out from regular practice to be used for a performance.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
DD has been doing a lot of trial classes.  The studios with clean shoes in the pictures also have clean shoes in class.  I'm also not just talking about performance pictures, but class pictures, group shots after a master class, that type of thing.  Worn out and dirty are two different things.  DD took classes last summer in a tiny beat up studio with one teacher, a three hour class for $15.  Teacher and students had clean shoes and the floor was clean.  Their technique was also pretty clean.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.