Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter needs a one minute piece of classical music to choreograph a ballet piece for her grade exam. It cannot be super popular like Nutcracker etc.
We are not classical music people so don't even know where to start! Any help would be much appreciated!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
This is confusing to me.  How old is your daughter and why would she have to choregraph her own ballet piece?
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
This is confusing to me.  How old is your daughter and why would she have to choregraph her own ballet piece?

Hi, she is 14 years old and it is for her Cecchetti ballet Grade 4 exam. For grade 4 along with the theory questions and exam it includes choreographing your own ballet dance utilizing grade 4 steps and below, cannot use their combos though. It should emphasize fluidity between movements. I guess lol
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkerbelle
Hi, she is 14 years old and it is for her Cecchetti ballet Grade 4 exam. For grade 4 along with the theory questions and exam it includes choreographing your own ballet dance utilizing grade 4 steps and below, cannot use their combos though. It should emphasize fluidity between movements. I guess lol

Ah!  Wow, that sounds intense!  Can she use any classical music?  She might look through the variations list from YAGP and see if there is a piece of music there she likes?  Good luck to her!
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

Ah!  Wow, that sounds intense!  Can she use any classical music?  She might look through the variations list from YAGP and see if there is a piece of music there she likes?  Good luck to her!

Thank you, I will have her check that list out! The only guidelines given were classical music and nothing too popular like Nutcracker!
threegirlpileup

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
There's so much great stuff out there!  Most pieces and variations will be longer than one minute, so she'll have to cut.

I hardly know where to start.  What kind of music does she want?  Lively?  Lyrical?

She could also just pick a composer and start clicking through YouTube...

Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by threegirlpileup
There's so much great stuff out there!  Most pieces and variations will be longer than one minute, so she'll have to cut.

I hardly know where to start.  What kind of music does she want?  Lively?  Lyrical?

She could also just pick a composer and start clicking through YouTube...

We have been clicking away on YouTube, but I don't think she even knows what she is looking for. I really think she is feeling uninspired right now. She has two options floating around right now by Max Richter, but I don't think she thinks they are quite right..
This is worse than bathing suit shopping! 😂
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Oh I do love Vivaldi Recomposed by Max Richter!  It's a great piece, if you aren't familiar with it you should give a listen.  I also love The Blue Notebooks, several lovely movements in that piece as well.

How about one of the movements from Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings?  Absolutely gorgeous music with lots of emotion, power, and musicality done with pure simplicity. It's probably one of my favorite pieces of music ever composed.
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom
Oh I do love Vivaldi Recomposed by Max Richter!  It's a great piece, if you aren't familiar with it you should give a listen.  I also love The Blue Notebooks, several lovely movements in that piece as well.

How about one of the movements from Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings?  Absolutely gorgeous music with lots of emotion, power, and musicality done with pure simplicity. It's probably one of my favorite pieces of music ever composed.

Oh my! Thank you!😊 Can't wait to check these suggestions out! I can feel my own musical horizons expanding already!
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Really no Chopin's Minute Waltz? j/k - to play it under a minute would be a challenging tempo
Prokofiev's Vision Fugitives, Opus 22, No. 6 
Chopin's Butterfly Etude
karenc

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
When you say classical - are you referring to true classical music or simply an instrumental piece?  There are LOTS of violin arrangements of popular music which your daughter might be more inspired by (Time after time and Hello are two beautiful ones that come to mind).  If it's pure classical music she might want to check out a snippet from  Glazunov's "Scenes de Ballet".  YAGP variations as suggested above - some of the Sleeping Beauty fairy variations are about a minute, the Cupid variation from Don Quixote is also exactly a minute.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.