Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Thanks for the sympathy. She should have another set of results in hand by the end of November, but I know one of her schools won't share results until mid- to late-February. If the next result comes in as "no" also, she's going to have to do some soul-searching as to her future. But hopefully the next two will be "yes". [smile]
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #52 
We are headed out mid day tomorrow for her first audition. It's only 2/3 hours away but we are going to do an overnight and take some of the angst out of the day. She then has auditions the next 2 weeks and then December, January and February. 
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
We are headed out mid day tomorrow for her first audition. It's only 2/3 hours away but we are going to do an overnight and take some of the angst out of the day. She then has auditions the next 2 weeks and then December, January and February. 

Good luck!
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Good luck!
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #55 
Thank you! I'm nervous and excited for her. I do wish we could report on the auditions in real time. It would be so helpful, but I'm nervous about putting information out there before acceptances come in. what do you all think about little reports about auditions? In case they help anyone else?
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Thank you! I'm nervous and excited for her. I do wish we could report on the auditions in real time. It would be so helpful, but I'm nervous about putting information out there before acceptances come in. what do you all think about little reports about auditions? In case they help anyone else?

It's why I started this thread.  This whole process has been an interesting experience for us.  Things I thought were going to be important, haven't been.  What some colleges value, seems to be different some times.  Even the auditions themselves have been wildly different.  After one, I really needed to talk about it to people to process what we were seeing.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #57 
@cynmckee can you post any of the audition information or your observations? I'd love to hear your thoughts before we head to this first audition. I know all of her auditions say they will be a ballet barre, modern center and then they vary. Some have interviews afterward. I'm assuming check in and get a number. How many are  you averaging in an audition? Seeing any boys? Is the modern tending towards Horton or Graham? Has your daughter had time to warm up? And are you seeing some of the same dancers at different venues?
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #58 
DD has done two ballet auditions so far. Both had plenty of time for her to warm up and were just regular ballet classes - barre and center. At both, check-in was very smooth and quick. Both had Q&A sessions that were informative and well run. So far they've each had around 30 dancers in them, give or take. Mostly girls, but a few boys.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
@cynmckee can you post any of the audition information or your observations? I'd love to hear your thoughts before we head to this first audition. I know all of her auditions say they will be a ballet barre, modern center and then they vary. Some have interviews afterward. I'm assuming check in and get a number. How many are  you averaging in an audition? Seeing any boys? Is the modern tending towards Horton or Graham? Has your daughter had time to warm up? And are you seeing some of the same dancers at different venues?

The biggest thing I can say is that the auditions have been all over the board in all areas.  The biggest audition that she has done had over 200 people.  The smallest was only 10 because it was a small off campus audition that wasn't well advertised.  Dd said she actually preferred the larger ones.  She actually thought it was easier to stand out...kind of weird.  In the beginning it looked like a lot of Graham (less Horton.)  She had one that seemed to have a pom type of routine in the audition...which really threw her off...well maybe not threw her off, but was a huge surprise.  It made her not want to go to that school (it was really the last straw of a few things she had experienced.)  But that might be exactly what some kids prefer.  She just comes from an art school that does a lot of classic styles.  What schools want to apply for their program is all over the place too.  Any combinations of videos, headshots, action pictures, personal writing or video statements.  Even the videos have different requirements.  What she did was to video in segments.  Ex: Ballet barre, petite allegro, etc...all filmed separately.  That way you may be able to piece together different sections and not have to recreate the wheel each time.

I guess one of the things we hadn't considered is that you are really auditioning the schools too.  I know that every school tells you how exclusive they are but really spend time looking at the program and the kids already in the program.  Look at their abilities.  Try and see a dance show if at all possible.  To me that spoke volumes more then the story they wanted to tell. That was important too....but results are really important too.  For all the money this is going to cost, you want a good fit for your kid.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #60 
I know nothing about college auditions, but wouldn't you want to ask what the alumni are up to?  Wouldn't you want to know if they went on to teach or perform somewhere?  Depending on goals, those seem like the most important questions to me............Where are they now?
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #61 
why, yes @ballerinamom13 that is on my list of questions for the parent information session. Thanks! 
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #62 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
I know nothing about college auditions, but wouldn't you want to ask what the alumni are up to?  Wouldn't you want to know if they went on to teach or perform somewhere?  Depending on goals, those seem like the most important questions to me............Where are they now?

You definitely do.  It is important but one of the things I found was that many of the successful alumni were from a few years back and there had been a change in the directors.  I think seeing a current show, if you know what you are looking at, can say volumes....not everything...but a really good place to start.  But even with all that...sometimes it is hard to judge exclusively by alumni.  Dd has a friend that went to one of the schools she was looking at.  He is wildly successful.  He has done movies, Broadway, was in a successful NY ballet company (but not the standard ones you think about off the top of your head), tons of features in mags, was in that top 10 people to watch in ballet thingy and he is now touring with a well known dance company (I would prefer not to say which one because of what follows.)  He said that primarily what he learned at that college was to party.  Regarding learning a lot of dance, his reply was "ehhh, not so much."  He is just incredibly gifted, hard working and a stone cold looker.  He was all of those things going in.  I kind of think he would be as successful, no matter where he went.

But if you go to classes or to a current show and you see a bunch of bad technique...that could just be those kids too, but maybe you have to ask...why aren't those things being addressed.

I don't know...you just can't know everything and maybe if you are aggressive in getting what you need it won't matter.  I remember my dd saying she had a pretty famous teacher in NY (I didn't retain who he was because I didn't recognize the name which is totally meaningless because it's me) telling them that he was accepted into Julliard but even with a scholarship, his family couldn't afford for him to attend.  He ended up going to a small school that had a solid program but wasn't nationally recognized. He said there are tons of those schools all around the country.  He said how successful you are after graduation will depend on how much you work, how much you grow, and how determined you are to make your way.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #63 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

You definitely do.  It is important but one of the things I found was that many of the successful alumni were from a few years back and there had been a change in the directors.  I think seeing a current show, if you know what you are looking at, can say volumes....not everything...but a really good place to start.  But even with all that...sometimes it is hard to judge exclusively by alumni.  Dd has a friend that went to one of the schools she was looking at.  He is wildly successful.  He has done movies, Broadway, was in a successful NY ballet company (but not the standard ones you think about off the top of your head), tons of features in mags, was in that top 10 people to watch in ballet thingy and he is now touring with a well known dance company (I would prefer not to say which one because of what follows.)  He said that primarily what he learned at that college was to party.  Regarding learning a lot of dance, his reply was "ehhh, not so much."  He is just incredibly gifted, hard working and a stone cold looker.  He was all of those things going in.  I kind of think he would be as successful, no matter where he went.

But if you go to classes or to a current show and you see a bunch of bad technique...that could just be those kids too, but maybe you have to ask...why aren't those things being addressed.

I don't know...you just can't know everything and maybe if you are aggressive in getting what you need it won't matter.  I remember my dd saying she had a pretty famous teacher in NY (I didn't retain who he was because I didn't recognize the name which is totally meaningless because it's me) telling them that he was accepted into Julliard but even with a scholarship, his family couldn't afford for him to attend.  He ended up going to a small school that had a solid program but wasn't nationally recognized. He said there are tons of those schools all around the country.  He said how successful you are after graduation will depend on how much you work, how much you grow, and how determined you are to make your way.

All true - there are many factors to success, but I'd still want to know.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #64 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

.........He was all of those things going in.  I kind of think he would be as successful, no matter where he went.

^^^This is my general take.  Whether we're talking college dance or dance studios/schools.  That while there certainly are programs that would not be recommended... because they won't challenge your dancer the way they need/want to be challenged... this sense that there are programs w/some magic formula for success is, I think, more of a myth than a reality.  That it's as much, possibly even more important what the dancer brings to the program as it is what the program brings to the dancer.  That those programs that tend to produce more professional dancers don't necessarily 'create' them as much as they 'attract' the most talented, the most dedicated, the most driven, etc... those who have the greatest potential to become professionals. 

All that said, if a dancer could get into one of those more selective programs that may tell them something about their potential.  And there certainly is something to be said about being in the company of those who are just as talented & driven & dedicated as you. But if you are talented & driven & dedicated (and resilient and flexible and resourceful and and and), you are talented & driven & dedicated (and resilient and flexible and resourceful and and and).  And chances are you will find success regardless.

eta:  not a college but SAB is a perfect example, I think.  When you only accept the best of the best... & send them packing if they don't continue to meet your high expectations.... is it really the school's super special magic formula that is "responsible" for their graduates' high rate of success?  Common sense should tell us... maybe not.  I imagine colleges like Indiana U (for ballet) & Julliard fall into a similar category.  Not unlike the Ivies w/their high percentage of super high achieving/successful alumnae.       

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.