Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
dkaplan128

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
@dkaplan Thank you! Always interesting to see how dancers make these decisions. So glad that your daughter is happy in her choice! Now I'm off to good Montclair...my daughter may kill me if I find another school she may like, lol!

Feel free to PM me with any further questions.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
What a good post dkaplan128.  I hope the 2017 grad parents come back and keep us updated about the goods and the bads of where they ended up.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Sorry, I realize that I posted under my old account, dkaplan=dancermom 128. Dancermom128 is the screen name I normally use.

hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

No biggie...but come back and talk about what her experiences have been at auditions.  We all want to hear about it.  It is an exiting time for both you and her and me and mine.  I am planning on posting about ours...it's got to be helpful for others getting ready to audition, right?  Senior year can be kind of stressful.

Will do! [smile]
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

She is definitely modern.  VCU is supposed to have a good choreography lean.  They are coming to her school in a couple of weeks and doing an audition there.  The professor that is running that one said he was handing out scholarships on the spot. So kind of excited about that one.  It wasn't super high on her list, but it may be now.  Her senior class is going to the National High School Dance festival at Point Park at the beginning of March and there is a huge amount of schools running auditions there that weekend.  I think Julliard, VCU, Mercyhurst, Boston Conservatory, Florida, Alabama...something like 30 others.  I am hoping she has a good showing there.  Busy times...and tons of money for these auditions.

. Boston Conservatory has an awesome dance program. Lots of opportunities to perform and a great faculty. The city is awesome!
mom2ztl

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Hi, I'm usually a lurker - but I have a freshman BFA Dance major this year, so I thought I'd share a little about her college selection journey.

She started the year sure she wanted a contemporary conservatory program until we attended a college fair for dancers in the fall (http://www.cnadm.com/college-fair/).  Talking with the college reps and the discussion panels at the fair changed her mind. For her - that was a good choice.  I wasn't sure she'd be happy at a school that didn't have a large academic component (I really see her loving topics like the dance history and philosophy, somatics, anatomy, etc).

She received several acceptances at the fair and a lot of really positive feedback.  She went to four additional auditions and (making a long story short) ended up in a competitive academic program at one of the universities we learned about at the college dance fair.  I would say the program is not for dancers who really desire to perform for a living, definitely not for ballet performers.  My daughter loves choreography (which this program emphasizes - she has to take it every semester) and I see this program equipping her to make her way in the world of the arts in other ways (it offers an entrepreneurial certificate as well as pilates certifications in addition to her core classes).

Oh, and I wanted to add - she received enough academic and fine arts scholarship money that the cost for her attend college is only slightly more than what we were spending on dance training.  

Good luck to all the seniors out there trying to figure this out! It's exciting to see them take this first adult step - but scary too!

(edited because of typos!)
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
@mon2zti  Thank you so much for sharing. It is interesting how their goals change as they gain more information. My daughter decided to switch from a ballet focus to modern and from a conservatory style program to a BFA in a larger university. She wants a dual major. It is interesting to watch the process unfold.
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #33 
One reason DD isn't looking into conservatory programs is what others have mentioned: the desire to take other types of classes outside her major. She would like for that to at least be an option. If a minor or double-major is also an option (outside of dance) all the better. So she's been looking at the larger public universities.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldancer17
One reason DD isn't looking into conservatory programs is what others have mentioned: the desire to take other types of classes outside her major. She would like for that to at least be an option. If a minor or double-major is also an option (outside of dance) all the better. So she's been looking at the larger public universities.

This is what my DD ultimately decided she wanted as well and drove her to choose MSU.
hauke3211

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #35 
My DD is a Sophomore at University of Arizona School of Dance. It is an amazing dance program with a wonderful faculty and incredibly talented dancers. DD has loved it there since day 1. I can't say enough about the school but realize it may not be a fit for everyone.  If anyone has questions, I'm happy to answer if I can. 

tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #36 
@hauke3211 I've heard such good things about the U of A dance program. My daughter loves the triple focus. It may just be too far away for us. It's great that your daughter is happy with her choice. What are your thoughts about casting? We've heard it can be difficult for some dancers. 
hauke3211

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #37 
@tiptoemom - great question! I would agree that casting in faculty pieces can be difficult for some dancers. Not all dancers get cast in faculty pieces. With that said, I do believe that if you show up for classes, take as many classes as possible, and work hard in class - you will be noticed and you will eventually get cast. The beauty of the program is that you have many, many opportunities to perform and dance. If for instance you don't get cast in faculty pieces, you have the opportunity to audition for graduate student pieces. These pieces are performed in front of the faculty so it is another chance to do what you love (dance) and also get seen by the faculty. In addition to faculty pieces and grad student pieces, U of A also has 2 shows dedicated to student choreography. This is an opportunity for students to choreograph their own pieces and choose their own dancers. These pieces are seen by faculty as well. So, if there is a will there is a way..........I think it's important to keep focused and try not to get discouraged, persist, if you will. Easier said than done of course. The fact that there is jazz, ballet, tap and modern pieces being cast provides more opportunites for well rounded, diverse dancers.  
jujusmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Class of 2018 here - yikes!  We are headed to Dancing Through College and Beyond this weekend and my dancer is auditioning.  She is working through her college apps and will be submitting them this week.  Then we are working on videos.  She has her audition solo set and is working on cleaning.  She has a long list of schools... a wide net for sure.  And while it feels like it is all so uncertain, we're trying to enjoy the ride and all the time we get to spend together traveling LOL

So far she has her auditions at George Mason and Towson set.  We hope to have her Pace audition set by the end of this week.  Then she will work on her U of AZ and USC videos and get those set (or rather an invite from USC).  Need to work on Marymount and I feel like there is something else.  She is auditioning for 4-5 programs (including Montclair state) this weekend and we'll go from there!  

Good luck to all of our 2018 grads!!
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujusmom
Class of 2018 here - yikes!  We are headed to Dancing Through College and Beyond this weekend and my dancer is auditioning.  She is working through her college apps and will be submitting them this week.  Then we are working on videos.  She has her audition solo set and is working on cleaning.  She has a long list of schools... a wide net for sure.  And while it feels like it is all so uncertain, we're trying to enjoy the ride and all the time we get to spend together traveling LOL

So far she has her auditions at George Mason and Towson set.  We hope to have her Pace audition set by the end of this week.  Then she will work on her U of AZ and USC videos and get those set (or rather an invite from USC).  Need to work on Marymount and I feel like there is something else.  She is auditioning for 4-5 programs (including Montclair state) this weekend and we'll go from there!  

Good luck to all of our 2018 grads!!

Good luck at the MSU audition my DD is a freshman BFA there if you have any questions. My DD is very impressed so far with the faculty and the caliber of her classes. They hired a fabulous (more well known in NJ) ballet teacher that is teaching Ballet 2 and 4 I think this year and Stacey Tookey is setting a piece. So far my DD is really enjoying it!
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #40 
just checking in to see if anyone has any updates. My daughter has 7/8 applications submitted and is working on the supplemental dance applications. She has 3 auditions scheduled for November. I'll check back in once those weekends are over!
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #41 
My DD has most of her applications submitted (8 or 9, I think) and has had a couple of academic acceptances, but she has only done one audition so far and hasn't gotten those results yet. Whether or not she applies/auditions anywhere beyond what's currently planned will depend on the results she gets this fall.
jujusmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #42 
My daughter has almost submitted all of her academic applications and is now working on her dance applications and audition schedule.  So far she has an audition this Saturday, one in early November, one in early December, one in January and one in February.  A few more to schedule still.  Would love to have that 1st dance acceptance so I can breathe [smile]
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #43 
right now she has 6 BFA applications, one state school that is a great school but it's a "just in case something happens with dance" choice. There are free common application apps that she may submit, just because. We have 3 more auditions to schedule. It's a bit of a pain because some of them overlap dates.

wondering if she will throw in for U of Arizona and/or Florida State. They are so far away and expensive to get to. The audition weekends would be close to $1000.00 each with travel/hotel costs. 
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
The audition weekends would be close to $1000.00 each with travel/hotel costs. 

Tell me about it. While I would love to take my daughter wherever she'd like to go, the reality of the costs is not something we could ignore. She is flying to three, possibly flying to two, and driving to one or two.
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #45 
DD had her first no of the season. It was probably the most selective school on her list, but that didn't make the no any easier to hear. She seems to be bouncing back pretty quickly from it, though, and isn't letting it get her down. 
jujusmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Hugs to her!  No is never easy to hear... best of luck on her remaining auditions and programs!!!

Quote:
DD had her first no of the season. It was probably the most selective school on her list, but that didn't make the no any easier to hear. She seems to be bouncing back pretty quickly from it, though, and isn't letting it get her down. 
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #47 
@hopefuldancer17 hugs to your daughter! You are ahead of us in auditions. First one coming up this weekend. What these kids are willing to go through in order to dance is amazing. They put themselves out there every time they perform.  Hopefully once we are all done and accept a place we can do a round up of the different auditions for next years seniors.
Dancinggirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:

Super bummer.  I remember seeing dance seniors in tears over the last few years.  Senior year is a scary, scary time.

My dd has 3 auditions done.  She got 2 acceptances and waiting for one that she decided she doesn't want to go to....so not waiting with baited breath.  We won't know what kind of scholarship they will provide for school 2 which sadly, is a primary deciding factor for us.  She has a giant group school audition at the end of February and is hoping for an invite for audition from USC...but I think that is all that we are going to do.  I feel like we could easily blow a lot of college money auditioning for schools that aren't high on the list.  Even the application fees can be steep when you start doing a bunch.
jujusmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #49 
My dancer received her first yes and her first no today.  I think right now, it is just relief that she has a yes [wink]  She still has 3 scheduled auditions and 2 more that she is hoping to receive a callback for an in person audition.

But at least we know she's going to college for dance [smile]
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #50 
congratulations @jujusmom! I'm sure she is thrilled to get an acceptance under her belt. Cannot wait to hear more details once everyone is done[smile])
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.