Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter is starting the audition process for college dance programs.  I was hoping that there are a few kids out there that have started as well.

So far she has done Point Park and was accepted into that program.

Next weekend she auditions for the University of Arizona.  I am kind of excited to see how this goes down, since I wasn't at the PP audition.  A few kids from her studio went a couple of weeks ago and thought they did well.  They were told various times to expect notification from a couple of weeks to many months.  I think in the past, some kids got calls.

She is starting the application to USC which starts with a video audition.  From there she is hoping for an invitation to audition.

Kind of wondering how long it took to receive notification if you have already applied to some programs.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi @cynmckee  My daughter is also starting the process. She had a shift a little over a year ago away from classical ballet and in to modern/contemporary. As you can imagine, I had to shift all of my research to modern/contemporary programs. She also moved away from conservatory style programs. So Point Park and Suny Purchase and UArts fell away, too. 

We are on the East coast and looking at schools over here. We do have University of Arizona and Florida State on her list, but the logistics and price of flying around for auditions and if she were to get in are making those schools questionable for us. They do have wonderful programs, so they are not completely gone.

Love to keep up to date with other families dealing with auditions season now!

edited to add Congratulations to your daughter for getting an audition and acceptance in!!
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
Hi @cynmckee  My daughter is also starting the process. She had a shift a little over a year ago away from classical ballet and in to modern/contemporary. As you can imagine, I had to shift all of my research to modern/contemporary programs. She also moved away from conservatory style programs. So Point Park and Suny Purchase and UArts fell away, too. 

We are on the East coast and looking at schools over here. We do have University of Arizona and Florida State on her list, but the logistics and price of flying around for auditions and if she were to get in are making those schools questionable for us. They do have wonderful programs, so they are not completely gone.

Love to keep up to date with other families dealing with auditions season now!

edited to add Congratulations to your daughter for getting an audition and acceptance in!!

Have you done any auditions yet?  I kind of feel a little bit the same about east coast schools.  I feel lucky that she didn't get all warm and fuzzy about Pace.

One of my funny stories is that we went to a metaphysical fair a few weeks ago.  Lots of massage therapists, tarot card readers, bath bombs, soaps and pretty crystals.  Kind of a feel good event.  My dd and her friend got a tarot card reading while I hit the homemade bread dealers (everyone has their priorities.)  My dd's friend had lots of questions about boyfriends.  My dd brought out her college lists and made the reader go through the list with her.  It is funny what everyone worries about.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
haha, that is too funny! I can imagine your daughter whipping out her audition list[smile] No auditions yet. Just getting ready to hit the "send" button on 3 of her schools. Most need us to submit applications prior to arranging audition dates. These dates are like putting together a puzzle. They happen on the same weekends, so you have to think logistics and driving and weather and first choices. It's exhausting!
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
haha, that is too funny! I can imagine your daughter whipping out her audition list[smile] No auditions yet. Just getting ready to hit the "send" button on 3 of her schools. Most need us to submit applications prior to arranging audition dates. These dates are like putting together a puzzle. They happen on the same weekends, so you have to think logistics and driving and weather and first choices. It's exhausting!

Are they all within driving distance for you?  Which ones are you picking from?  The application process has been super weird for me.  They are all so different.  I pushed my dd really hard to study for the SAT and that has not seemed to matter a whole bunch so far.  Univ of AZ didn't even want to know her score.  That application was kind of intense because it involved an audition video, uploaded pictures, an uploaded resume, lists of all of her ballet, modern and jazz teachers, a little essay.  You have to do the video even if you are auditioning in person.  (you can find other people's videos on youtube....so that was fun.) I have heard that the audition will be video taped too.

The USC video is 2 solos I believe and the common application and a resume in their format.  Not sure what else.  As soon as we get through this weekend, she needs to get going on that one.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
That U of Arizona app is what has us hesitating. She has to be really interested to get that done. So that, along with the travel costs has it at the bottom of the list. (which has nothing to do with how great the program is!) A boy she knows from Rock School is there and loves everything about it. This is her list (so far[wink] and in no particular order: Temple (we are in Philly), Towson, Rutgers, JMU, VCU, Elon. She has a financial safety/academic school in case anything changes in regard to dance. JMU is a BA. Their new performing arts center is gorgeous. Elon has a wonderful program. We were really surprised that she was ok with it, because it is rural N. Carolina and she very urban. It is all about campus. Though they also have an amazing study abroad for dance and a really great internship program. 

Getting apps in this weekend and next weekend and then registering for auditions. I'm surprised, but she does not want the Fordham/Ailey program. Has friends who have done the SI and loved it but heard a lot of feedback about the Fordham combo. So, she has a list and few "maybes" hanging on. 

What about your daughter? Is she classical or modern?
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
That U of Arizona app is what has us hesitating. She has to be really interested to get that done. So that, along with the travel costs has it at the bottom of the list. (which has nothing to do with how great the program is!) A boy she knows from Rock School is there and loves everything about it. This is her list (so far[wink] and in no particular order: Temple (we are in Philly), Towson, Rutgers, JMU, VCU, Elon. She has a financial safety/academic school in case anything changes in regard to dance. JMU is a BA. Their new performing arts center is gorgeous. Elon has a wonderful program. We were really surprised that she was ok with it, because it is rural N. Carolina and she very urban. It is all about campus. Though they also have an amazing study abroad for dance and a really great internship program. 

Getting apps in this weekend and next weekend and then registering for auditions. I'm surprised, but she does not want the Fordham/Ailey program. Has friends who have done the SI and loved it but heard a lot of feedback about the Fordham combo. So, she has a list and few "maybes" hanging on. 

What about your daughter? Is she classical or modern?

She is definitely modern.  VCU is supposed to have a good choreography lean.  They are coming to her school in a couple of weeks and doing an audition there.  The professor that is running that one said he was handing out scholarships on the spot. So kind of excited about that one.  It wasn't super high on her list, but it may be now.  Her senior class is going to the National High School Dance festival at Point Park at the beginning of March and there is a huge amount of schools running auditions there that weekend.  I think Julliard, VCU, Mercyhurst, Boston Conservatory, Florida, Alabama...something like 30 others.  I am hoping she has a good showing there.  Busy times...and tons of money for these auditions.

tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
A dance fair is cool, but I'd hate to wait until March! There is a dance fair in NYC coming up. Oct 7-8 called Dancewave. Huge list of colleges doing a big audition, including a bunch on our list. Very torn. Nice to get a bunch done, but then she will miss visiting the schools and seeing the facilities and meeting teachers and other dancers. I'm not sure. Love to hear your thoughts on VCU. My daughter met a bunch of girls who go there and they loved the modern program.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Just jumping in to say, "Go Wildcats!."

I graduated from the University of Arizona in 1993. I took ballet classes there every semester, but was never part of the dance program. I'm not sure if it had the reputation back then that it does now, but the dance classes were very good. Also, the flights back then were $150 RT from PHX to DTW. It was always cheaper to fly out of Phoenix than Tucson back then. After freshman year, I only flew home for the semester break. Drove home for summer breaks. The cost of living is a bit less, too.

The campus is gorgeous; and for someone that grew up in Michigan the mountains, palm trees, and endless sunny days never got old. My friends would joke it looked more like a resort.

Personally, if someone is coming from out of state, I highly recommend a car. I loved exploring the area, or just being able to get out of the dorm and explore the mountains, desert, and shopping. Plus, many events that come to Phoenix don't make it to Tucson - i.e., concerts, master classes, auditions. If a car is not an option, the bus system - SunTran? - in Tucson is good but rather tiresome. Plus, there are tons of kids from the Phoenix area that go home often enough that it won't be hard to make friends, and share rides to Phoenix.

The best part, IMO, is that Tucson is a great place to visit your DD/DS during the winter months, especially if you are from the northern climates. My mom (on several occasions), dad, grandma, sister and several high school friends came out for visits while I lived there.

No. I'm not being paid. I just remember those years with great fondness.

Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
A dance fair is cool, but I'd hate to wait until March! There is a dance fair in NYC coming up. Oct 7-8 called Dancewave. Huge list of colleges doing a big audition, including a bunch on our list. Very torn. Nice to get a bunch done, but then she will miss visiting the schools and seeing the facilities and meeting teachers and other dancers. I'm not sure. Love to hear your thoughts on VCU. My daughter met a bunch of girls who go there and they loved the modern program.

We may be going to the DanceWave fair in NYC. My dd is a junior, so we are just beginning the process, but I figure it's a good way to gather info so she can begin to narrow down her search and figure out what direction she wants to go in. Since she's a junior she can't audition yet, but we live so close to NYC in northern NJ so it's worth it for us. She'll probably just do the Saturday session.
4boysmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
My DS will be at University of Arizona next weekend. He is only in grade 11, but will be checking out the school and auditioning for summer programs. Good luck to your daughter.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccasmom

We may be going to the DanceWave fair in NYC. My dd is a junior, so we are just beginning the process, but I figure it's a good way to gather info so she can begin to narrow down her search and figure out what direction she wants to go in. Since she's a junior she can't audition yet, but we live so close to NYC in northern NJ so it's worth it for us. She'll probably just do the Saturday session.

Do any of you have a link to this?
rmarti123

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
https://www.dancewave.org/DTCB
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
sorry...didn't see this until now. Thanks all for posting the link. What do you think @cynmckee? 
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 

The traffic in Tucson is RIDICULOUS.  Too many people and not enough roads.  Ride a bike when possible.  
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
sorry...didn't see this until now. Thanks all for posting the link. What do you think @cynmckee? 

I think it looks amazing.  Not all of those schools are auditioning though.  The two my kid would want to hit USC and Marymount are there but not doing auditions.  Lots of others are though.  I need to really look hard at this and fast.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13

The traffic in Tucson is RIDICULOUS.  Too many people and not enough roads.  Ride a bike when possible.  

I think once we are there, we wont be driving around a whole lot.  I did rent a car from Phoenix though because traveling into Phoenix is cheaper and way faster....even with the hour and a half drive.  Friday is going to be a brutal travel day.  Traffic can't be worse than in Denver.  Most days I have an hour and a half commute to work.
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
DD is graduating this year too and looking at ballet programs, but not necessarily conservatory programs. Her first auditions are in the next two months, with others possibly happening in February.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldancer17
DD is graduating this year too and looking at ballet programs, but not necessarily conservatory programs. Her first auditions are in the next two months, with others possibly happening in February.

Which ones is she auditioning for?
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I'm a little paranoid about privacy, so I'd rather not say at this point. Hope that is OK! 
Edited to add that if it isn't ok, that's fine. I will bow out of the conversation. [smile]
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldancer17
I'm a little paranoid about privacy, so I'd rather not say at this point. Hope that is OK! 
Edited to add that if it isn't ok, that's fine. I will bow out of the conversation. [smile]

No biggie...but come back and talk about what her experiences have been at auditions.  We all want to hear about it.  It is an exiting time for both you and her and me and mine.  I am planning on posting about ours...it's got to be helpful for others getting ready to audition, right?  Senior year can be kind of stressful.
dkaplan128

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
My DD is in her freshman year at Montclair State as a BFA dance major. She is loving every aspect of it. My biggest piece of advice I can give now is to look at the course catalog and find out how many classes they will be taking each week in each genre. My DD is very happy with her schedule but I've noticed at some other schools she auditioned at that she wouldn't have been happy with how many classes she'd be taking per week (not enough). This is not something that is often discussed and I think it's so important to pick a school that has a curriculum that really fits what your dancer is looking for. Just because a school offers ballet and modern doesn't guarantee you will be taking those classes 4-5 times a week. And that's fine for plenty of dancers,  just wouldn't have been ok for mine.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
good advice @dkaplan128 ! Can you talk about how your daughter made her decision once she had her acceptances? Now that she is a few weeks in, what does she seem to enjoy about the program?

Thanks[smile])

dkaplan128

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
good advice @dkaplan128 ! Can you talk about how your daughter made her decision once she had her acceptances? Now that she is a few weeks in, what does she seem to enjoy about the program?

Thanks[smile])

I can tell you why she chose her school. 1) It's less than 30 minutes outside of Manhattan and driving distance from home (3 1/2 hours) 2) Loved the audition, both the modern and ballet 3) Price-all BFA's are offered instate tuition 4) loved the town of Montclair 5) liked the modern focus of the program 6) lots of performance opportunities 6) the ability to minor in something which not all BFA programs offer. She will most likely minor in Nutrition.

Bonus: Stacey Tookey set a piece this year [smile]

So far she is loving all of it. Loves her classes, made lots of friends and really enjoys that she gets to experience more of a traditional college life there as opposed to being on a city campus which is what she thought she originally wanted. They also have beautiful facilities and she feels the training is top notch with lots of very talented dancers to get inspiration from. That was big for her, she had no interest in being the best dancer. 

tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 
@dkaplan Thank you! Always interesting to see how dancers make these decisions. So glad that your daughter is happy in her choice! Now I'm off to good Montclair...my daughter may kill me if I find another school she may like, lol!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.