Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #76 
Cheering for all of you!
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #77 
I'm so sorry to hear this hopefuldancer17.  Senior year is incredibly stressful.  The biggest issue is that everything is crammed into such a short period and they feel so frightened that when May 1st comes they may end up on the wrong side of the door. 

I think the ballet programs at the top schools can be extremely hard to get into.  There are tons of ballet girls out there auditioning for those few spots so it is going to super rough to get in with that as a concentration.  My dd goes to a comp school that emphasizes ballet...probably the top comp school in our area for that...but she is still frightened during those ballet college auditions.  Maybe it is time to talk turkey with your dd?  Potentially she didn't get enough good training to make her competitive in ballet (for right this minute).  Okay what does she want to do about that?  It's not a reflection on her....it is just her circumstances.  Make her understand that this is just a problem to overcome not a reflection on what she can achieve.

She may need to do more research with an open heart (fast...like today...there are lots of December 1st deadlines) on other dance schools.  She may be super surprised at what is out there. My dd's friend is looking at Montana and at first I thought "what the **ll is in Montana"...but Montana is a huge oil and gas state and their dance program seems to have a lot of money so they bring in top notch teachers and choreographers from the east and west coasts.  There are tons of hidden gems...great programs with great teachers that a lot of people don't realize are out there.  She needs to focus right now on training and not prestige because she might be able to reapply to that dream school next year.

She could also go to that dream school without getting into the dance program and train there anyway.  She wont be in shows, but she may be able to get that ballet training she needs while getting noticed and apply again next year to the dance program.

She could also take a gap year and find hard core ballet training in your area with the plan of reapplying next year.  I am sure this might make all the difference in those auditions.

This could also just be a fluke...a few bad auditions with a bunch of ballet superstars, and there might be that good offer just around the corner.  Just open up all areas of conversation to give her the best chance.  Don't let her sink into "I'm just shi**y or I'm a terrible dancer"  That will get her nothing and is probably not true.  She needs to attack a problem not herself.
hopefuldancer17

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #78 
Thank you cyn. You've offered some great advice. I feel like DD has picked herself up and is moving forward to figure out how she can continue to train, whether it's at another college program or taking a gap year of sorts. She still has one school that was high on her list that she hasn't heard from yet, so all hope is not lost. [wink] She has three auditions next semester, and she has a safety school near more intensive training where she knows she could take daily class, pointe, etc. She's also looking into possible trainee or other post-grad ballet options that will help her continue her training, though she is not feeling particularly hopeful about that route at this point. She doesn't want to give up the dream, and so she's looking realistically at what she can do now to try and move further down her path. If she can find herself in a program with high-quality, daily classes with instructors who set the bar high and want to help students improve, then she'll be happy I think.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #79 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
I'm so sorry to hear this hopefuldancer17.  Senior year is incredibly stressful.  The biggest issue is that everything is crammed into such a short period and they feel so frightened that when May 1st comes they may end up on the wrong side of the door. 

I think the ballet programs at the top schools can be extremely hard to get into.  There are tons of ballet girls out there auditioning for those few spots so it is going to super rough to get in with that as a concentration.  My dd goes to a comp school that emphasizes ballet...probably the top comp school in our area for that...but she is still frightened during those ballet college auditions.  Maybe it is time to talk turkey with your dd?  Potentially she didn't get enough good training to make her competitive in ballet (for right this minute).  Okay what does she want to do about that?  It's not a reflection on her....it is just her circumstances.  Make her understand that this is just a problem to overcome not a reflection on what she can achieve.

She may need to do more research with an open heart (fast...like today...there are lots of December 1st deadlines) on other dance schools.  She may be super surprised at what is out there. My dd's friend is looking at Montana and at first I thought "what the **ll is in Montana"...but Montana is a huge oil and gas state and their dance program seems to have a lot of money so they bring in top notch teachers and choreographers from the east and west coasts.  There are tons of hidden gems...great programs with great teachers that a lot of people don't realize are out there.  She needs to focus right now on training and not prestige because she might be able to reapply to that dream school next year.

She could also go to that dream school without getting into the dance program and train there anyway.  She wont be in shows, but she may be able to get that ballet training she needs while getting noticed and apply again next year to the dance program.

She could also take a gap year and find hard core ballet training in your area with the plan of reapplying next year.  I am sure this might make all the difference in those auditions.

This could also just be a fluke...a few bad auditions with a bunch of ballet superstars, and there might be that good offer just around the corner.  Just open up all areas of conversation to give her the best chance.  Don't let her sink into "I'm just shi**y or I'm a terrible dancer"  That will get her nothing and is probably not true.  She needs to attack a problem not herself.

Unfortunately, if you aren't a dance major you most likely aren't able to take classes with the other dance majors. At DD's school they have a couple ballet and a couple modern classes offered to non dance majors. They aren't close to the quality a dance major is able to take.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #80 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldancer17
Thank you cyn. You've offered some great advice. I feel like DD has picked herself up and is moving forward to figure out how she can continue to train, whether it's at another college program or taking a gap year of sorts. She still has one school that was high on her list that she hasn't heard from yet, so all hope is not lost. [wink] She has three auditions next semester, and she has a safety school near more intensive training where she knows she could take daily class, pointe, etc. She's also looking into possible trainee or other post-grad ballet options that will help her continue her training, though she is not feeling particularly hopeful about that route at this point. She doesn't want to give up the dream, and so she's looking realistically at what she can do now to try and move further down her path. If she can find herself in a program with high-quality, daily classes with instructors who set the bar high and want to help students improve, then she'll be happy I think.

Just a thought about the gap year option.  If the goal of such a year would be to put the pedal to the metal, so to speak, you really want to give careful consideration to where she goes for that training.  This wouldn't be a time to just spin her wheels, iykwim.  She'd want to go somewhere that was going to kick her a$$.  Probably a smaller program with a fair amount of individual attention.  And it might even be beneficial to look beyond your immediate area... even if it means having to secure living accommodations.  Just food for thought.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #81 
So excited that she passed the Ailey pre-screen and was invited to audition. Now hoping to get the NYU date set. She has an audition this Saturday. Anyone else have more auditions to go? All of her top choices are at the end, so 5 more to go.
hopefuldancer17

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #82 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

Just a thought about the gap year option.  If the goal of such a year would be to put the pedal to the metal, so to speak, you really want to give careful consideration to where she goes for that training.  This wouldn't be a time to just spin her wheels, iykwim.  She'd want to go somewhere that was going to kick her a$$.  Probably a smaller program with a fair amount of individual attention.  And it might even be beneficial to look beyond your immediate area... even if it means having to secure living accommodations.  Just food for thought.

All good points, and at this point her gap year ideas are both out of state. One would be something like CPYB. The other would be a previous summer program's school where she already knows she could attend their top-level school classes (though being a trainee there would be ideal, and is something she's still hoping might happen after she auditions again for their summer program).
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #83 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldancer17

All good points, and at this point her gap year ideas are both out of state. One would be something like CPYB. The other would be a previous summer program's school where she already knows she could attend their top-level school classes (though being a trainee there would be ideal, and is something she's still hoping might happen after she auditions again for their summer program).

Good luck to your dd. I just wanted to say that, out of all the SI's she attended, dd definitely learned and improved the most at CPYB.  It definitely wasn't the most fun SI, but the best actual instruction.  Not sure if you know about the Ballet House - not even sure it's still happening, bc dd was there a long time ago, but if she needs housing you might want to look into that.  IF she decides to do the gap year.  (I think the Ballet House takes older kids.....not sure about that either...).  Keep us posted.
hopefuldancer17

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #84 
Thank you, ballerinamom13. The idea of sending her to CPYB definitely doesn't sound "fun" but it could be the push she needs. She's considering it for this summer, too.
jujusmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #85 
I second the CPYB recommendation!  My dancer attended this past summer and came home stronger and more confident than I've seen her!  Their program offers solid training.  The first week of the SI was the toughest as they really honed in on what they need to work on, but after that first week they really build them up as the focus on their foundation.  
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #86 
anyone have any upcoming auditions or just completed auditions? My daughter just did the Mason Gross audition at Rutgers. She loved everything about the audition and fall showcase afterward. I'm just happy that she finally did an audition where she loved the program. They send out notifications at some point in January.  Four more to go and two are the toughest auditions on the list. I guess it's good that she has 4 under her belt before they came up. A few of her friends are done with theirs or down to one.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.