Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by diglass
Sorry I don't know how to do the quotes.
dancingpeanut- I almost ended my last post with, "does anyone know if there is a site like this for music students? " 

My youngest will be applying to college for vocal or songwriter programs next fall. Would you mind if I sent you a PM? 

Feell free to PM me! My son is a pianist/songwriter/vocalist. I've never seen a site like this for music students, but College Confidential has a fairly active forum for music majors.
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsqrdplus2
Because I am nosey, and because I want to celebrate everyone's successes and choices, do any of the other moms of college bound kids have any news to report?

I know I answered up thread, but now that we have put down the deposit, things are much more "real" now!!  Ash will be attending Point Park University in the fall to pursue a degree in dance.

She did get another $20k for AMDA through Starpower last weekend, so she now has a total of $40k that she could use if she went there.  Too bad it is not transferable!

Congratulations!
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Suzit42:  Best of luck.  Brennan spent some time on the waitlist at U Mich but wasn't willing to wait into June and fortunately for my nerves, she found a home at Elon right away when she auditioned there in March.  Keeping everything on hold is so difficult.  Best of luck that she gets her dream pick!
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #54 
@Shaylenek, We just drove home from a visit to James Madison (liked very much) and Elon (LOVED it!). Would you mind giving your opinion as the mom of how the year has gone? And maybe any thoughts from your daughter? This school came out of nowhere and I am hoping to get some first hand information. Happy to pm if easier[smile]

Thanks!!
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #55 
Elon has been an amazing opportunity for my dd. And like you, it wasn't initially one on our list but it moved up quickly because of the dance science program. Turns out dd has dropped the science double major and she going all in for performance but she will be TA for the somatics classes next year. The small classes and strong academic focus are nice. But honestly, the best thing I have seen is the mentoring program within the major. All incoming freshmen are paired with an upperclassmen and it really has given dd a family. We are at least 18 hours away and there have been some typical college issues including a tough breakup and I know how to get a hold of her mentor, who ended up her roommate, when needed.
Also impressed that the dance dept has its own athletic trainer and regular access to PT. Bren hit her head in a show last spring and the trainer was there running her through concussion protocol right away. They kept her on academic rest for about 10 days and off the dance floor for a few weeks so they take training really seriously. The program is geared for contemporary/modern companies for future performance.
The musical theater program is so strong in its own right that there isn't much crossover. That has been a bit disappointing for dancers interested in Broadway because they rarely get roles although the MT program has a ton of alumni working in New York so the connections are there. Choreo is a required part of the program and they really work at making sure all graduates have abilities to work in the field off of the dance floor too.
Sorry, I am getting wordy. PM specific questions and I won't clog up the feed anymore. Elon isn't perfect for everyone but they do a good job in the application process of admitting the kids who will fit. Bren's freshman roommate was accepted to the college but not the program and she still dances with the rec program. Basically, it has been an AMAZING fit for our DD.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #56 
Thank you so much! That is exactly the information I am looking for. We were lucky enough to observe the Wednesday morning ballet class....perhaps your daughter was there! Wish I'd seen your post earlier, since I know Claire would have loved to chat with her. We then got to meet the chair and she was wonderful and informative and made us feel really positive about the program. We are 7/8 hours away and are still concerned with the distance, but it is such a great program and the school is gorgeous. Claire felt like she fit right in.  I am going to take you up on the offer to chat offline, once Easter is done[wink]

thanks!

Koopahla

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by diglass
Koopahla, Congratulations! My DD was also accepted to BoCo 2 yrs ago. (She loved BoCo but ended up at another program) At that time there was a Facebook page for accepted students. Maybe you can search for that. Try something like-BoCo class of 2021. You may even have to search under the new title, BoCo at Berklee. Not sure how that has impacted things. Curious...where was she before???

My daughter attended UNC@Greensboro.  She had heard that it had a great choreography program and that is the direction she would like to take her career.  However, once she got in to classes, she realized that the program was not as strenuous & has high of caliber as she had been use to and they did not offer ballet on a daily basis.  We asked several people prior to committing and they all said, "Oh, yea, she will be dancing A LOT more than she did in HS!"  Well, that ended up not being so true.  It was a hard decision to leave her friends & come home 2nd semester, but she quickly realized that it was the best decision she ever made.  She says she is so much happier being home (and now she going 13 hours away????)  UNCG is a beautiful university.  The college is terrific, but just not for the type of dancer my kid wants to be.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopahla
I don't reply much on this site anymore, but read through the post often.  My DD entered a university last year as a dance major and left after the 1st semester bc of the program.  Since then, she has been working full time, dancing 3-4 hours a day, and taking classes on-line, & running around the country auditioning for college...again!  No....I never see the kid!  She was looking at both conservatory & liberal arts programs.  Even though she has not yet heard from UofA in Phily or Montclaire, I am almost positive she will be heading to Boston Conservatory in the fall!  She is very excited to start this "newer" path!  She is not able to find any incoming student sites to start making connections.  Does anyone know of anyone that currently attends BOCO or is planning on attending in the fall?
The dance department at BoCo is top notch. I think if you can contact admissions they could direct your daughter to the student page. There is also a parent page. BoCo is in a vibrant area. The training is intense.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: