Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Any auditions scheduled yet? DD is doing the 11/12 Point Park audition. That's the only school she's applied to yet. She'll also apply to BOCO, SUNY Purchase, Marymount and Montclair. Point Park and SUNY are at the top of her list as of now.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
My eldest DD graduates this year (Australian school years are calendar years so she will graduate in Nkvember). It has been a year of new experiences for us, as she is the eldest of 4. My youngest is 3, so we have a fair way to go yet.

Our tertiary education system is a little different to the US. There is less expectation a student will go on to tertiary study unless they want to do a career that requires a degree (which of course many do). If so they study a specific degree, they don't pick differ t things to study, their degree is set out and specific to their career. Most students attend a local university and the vast majority of students to continue to live at home until they finish university.

Ash wants to study primary education (to be a primary school teacher). She has applied to the local universities and intends to continue to live at home and continue to take all her classes at her dance studio. Once they finish school a lot of the dancers will work towards their teachers certificate and then their teachers diploma at their dance studios and Ash definetly wants to do this.

We just had her big external exam last week - it is called QSC (Queensland Core Skills). It is the only external exam they do and all the rest of their assessment is done at an in school level, like exams and assignments. Which is then cross marked by teachers from other schools.

dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpeanut

My son attends Berklee, which BOCO has now merged with, so let me know if you have any questions about the school/area and I'd be happy to help. Administratively, they can occasionally be a bit flaky, especially dealing with the merger over the past year, but the education/facilities/staff are exceptional.

Thank you so much. DD really liked BOCO when we visited but I don't really see it as a viable option unless they give her a ton of money. But it would be nice since its 45 minutes from our house!
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
Any auditions scheduled yet? DD is doing the 11/12 Point Park audition. That's the only school she's applied to yet. She'll also apply to BOCO, SUNY Purchase, Marymount and Montclair. Point Park and SUNY are at the top of her list as of now.

Ash is doing the 12/10 audition at PPU.  The Steelers home game on 11/13 made the 11/12 audition outrageously expensive for us coming from the Midwest!

She is also applying to SUNY Purchase (has a friend in the program there), Missouri State, Lindenwood, and Univ of Central OK so far.  More to come, but PPU is definitely first choice!
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #30 
DD17 is currently flip flopping.  She would like to study Criminal Justice.  As we got closer to this year starting I think the idea of not dancing is making the waters a little muddy.   She has thrown every idea from staying at home and going to a local college for criminal justice to save money , to studying dance for a few years before giving it up and switching to a criminal justice major. 

I'm just along for the ride. 
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Just went to a FAFSA seminar last night. Head still spinning a bit. I guess you can file starting October 1st. Here we go!
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
Just went to a FAFSA seminar last night. Head still spinning a bit. I guess you can file starting October 1st. Here we go!

Yes!  FAFSA just changed the way they do it.  It used to be that you would file for one school year based on the tax return of the year before it.  So for DD's school year starting September 2016 we had to use the 2015 tax return, which meant you couldn't start the process until January of the school year you were applying for.  But now they use the tax return from two years prior.  So for her school year starting September 2017 I would still use my 2015 tax return, then for her junior year (starting 2018) it will be the 2016 tax return.  This makes life much easier!  You can get the entire process started at once, from application through financial aid, rather than having to wait to find out what your financial aid package will look like... which is important since that package plays a big part in the decision making process!!
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
My eldest DD graduates this year (Australian school years are calendar years so she will graduate in Nkvember). It has been a year of new experiences for us, as she is the eldest of 4. My youngest is 3, so we have a fair way to go yet.

Our tertiary education system is a little different to the US. There is less expectation a student will go on to tertiary study unless they want to do a career that requires a degree (which of course many do). If so they study a specific degree, they don't pick differ t things to study, their degree is set out and specific to their career. Most students attend a local university and the vast majority of students to continue to live at home until they finish university.

Ash wants to study primary education (to be a primary school teacher). She has applied to the local universities and intends to continue to live at home and continue to take all her classes at her dance studio. Once they finish school a lot of the dancers will work towards their teachers certificate and then their teachers diploma at their dance studios and Ash definetly wants to do this.

We just had her big external exam last week - it is called QSC (Queensland Core Skills). It is the only external exam they do and all the rest of their assessment is done at an in school level, like exams and assignments. Which is then cross marked by teachers from other schools.

What do you mean they don't pick different things to study in college? Who chooses what they study
brizziemum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
What do you mean they don't pick different things to study in college? Who chooses what they study

Jacaranda is saying once you choose a course your subjects are set - if you want to be a physiotherapist you do a bachelor of physiotherapy and you do the subjects specified or a bachelor of human movement. You can still do a science or arts degree which has a lot more flexibility but usually you have an end goal in sight  e.g. high school teaching and pick subjects  relevant for that.
For our state there is a overall entrance board which has you submit your preferences for courses at particular universities and you are offered positions in order of merit - if you got the highest overall mark ( a complicated calibration of averaging of four to five subjects - which is about to change methods again soon) you would be the first person offered a position to your first preference. Once the number of places are offered ( e.g.60 for speech therapy) then if you are next in merit you will be offered your second preference etc. Of course it's all computerised so you get to know your overall position mark on the same day - it seems to change every few years whether the offers come out on the same day or if you have a week to change your preferences - if you know you're unlikely to get your first four preferences you may want to drop them for something more realistic. 
There are various private courses ( majority of well-known universities in Australia receive public funding) that don't use this system - for example I know some dancers who are continuing dancing full time - sometimes part time with two institutions or one institution plus private individual tuition etc.
I haven't got a child doing this yet - the system is meant to change when my eldest gets there but I have been through it and helped several nieces and nephews negotiate their way through.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Anything new with anyone? DD has completed her applications and is scheduling auditions now. So far she has Point Park on 11/12, Montclair State on 1/24 and Marymount on 2/25. She is waiting to hear from SUNY Purchase to schedule the 2/10 date and BOCO on 1/28. So far she has been academically accepted to Marymount with a very nice scholarship and according to Point Park admissions will have her academic decision this week.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #36 
DD won a trip to LA to tour and audition at The Relativity School in LA in December!  Also added The New School in NY to her list.  We just started some application steps today and have to figure out what all she needs to record because she would be looking at dance and acting.  Just so very excited that my directionless middle child is really starting the process.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Has anyone heard anything yet??  

So far, Ash was accepted artistically at Relativity without applying academically.  She also got a $20k scholarship to AMDA without ever applying.

She has been accepted academically at Missouri State and Lindenwood, but never scheduled auditions [eek].

And her big news is she was accepted both academically and artistically to Point Park which was really the only place she wanted to go.  So it looks like thats is where she is headed in the fall!

Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Jeez, DD17 was deferred in December to her first choice school. She was accepted to all her other choices with scholarships and honors college acceptances. She wants to hold out for her first choice. I don't think it would be a good fit for her, but I'm just a mom. Right?
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
Jeez, DD17 was deferred in December to her first choice school. She was accepted to all her other choices with scholarships and honors college acceptances. She wants to hold out for her first choice. I don't think it would be a good fit for her, but I'm just a mom. Right?

U of M?  I really hate the deferment process.  It just toys with their emotions so much.  If it is U of M, she still has a very good chance of getting in.  Looking back on this process over the span of all four of my kids, I have known so many students who were admitted to U of M after originally receiving deferrals.   

Best of luck to your DD and I'm sure she'll do well no matter where she chooses!
Amomofonedancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Not sure where you are in this process- but I will share my experience since I was a Criminology major. I found going to a higher rated university was very helpful in securing job interviews.  I have returned to the job market three times due to relocation for my husband's job and staying home a couple of years with each child (who are spaced apart by 10 years.  I still get calls from headhunters and they have told me that employers stated interest in my education background. One thing to consider if she rules out dance as a major. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves
DD17 is currently flip flopping.  She would like to study Criminal Justice.  As we got closer to this year starting I think the idea of not dancing is making the waters a little muddy.   She has thrown every idea from staying at home and going to a local college for criminal justice to save money , to studying dance for a few years before giving it up and switching to a criminal justice major. 

I'm just along for the ride. 
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom

U of M?  I really hate the deferment process.  It just toys with their emotions so much.  If it is U of M, she still has a very good chance of getting in.  Looking back on this process over the span of all four of my kids, I have known so many students who were admitted to U of M after originally receiving deferrals.   

Best of luck to your DD and I'm sure she'll do well no matter where she chooses!

Yep, Michigan. Her BFF was automatically admitted. Which makes it harder. I know she will be fine wherever. Too bad she doesn't. Oh if we could give our kids our brains right?

Thanks for your kind words, it helps
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: