Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I can't believe I am doing this again already but we finished senior pictures about two weeks ago and are scheduling college visits.  My oldest was Class of 15 and is my pre-pro dance student.  My next senior is Class of 17 and wants to look into arts admin programs. Her heart is in the City - any big city it seems.  Chicago, New York and LA are top of her list. She is an aspiring model also and recently signed with a management company from New York and her manager wants to see her in a larger market also!  It is entirely possible that she will take a gap year and see where that goes.  

For now, we are looking at Columbia and Hope in Chicago and NYU and Long Island Univ in New York.  I am making her go look at Elon in NC too because it is a great arts school and her sister is there.  It would warm my heart and my pocketbook if they were actually in the same state for travel purposes.  I loved that they were close in age growing up but my house is getting quieter and quieter with them leaving me.  [tounge2] 

Who else has an incoming senior?
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Me!

Ash is my oldest and over the last few years has changed her college focus from elementary education to dance!  We have done a couple of campus visits, none of which have really spoken to her.  She really liked a local campus that has a dance program, but was told by former and current students in the program (DTs at studio and some of their friends) that she needs a better program than offered there.  Not that she would have really considered the school anyway since it is 20minutes from home!  She is determined to go out of state (MO) and to be fair, there are not many schools in state that will give her what she is looking for!

Her number one choice right now is Point Park.  Since they have rolling admissions, I have been encouraging her to apply now, so we can schedule her audition.  Of course, despite 10 years of college admissions experience, mom knows absolutely nothing [rolleyes] , so application has not been filled out/submitted yet!  She has a couple of other schools in mind, but really has her heart set on Point Park right now.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out for her.  Academically, I am pretty sure she is fine.  It's just the application/audition process that I worry about.  I really don't think she understands the scope of applying for college, and anytime I try to talk to her about it, I get tuned out.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsqrdplus2
Me!

Ash is my oldest and over the last few years has changed her college focus from elementary education to dance!  We have done a couple of campus visits, none of which have really spoken to her.  She really liked a local campus that has a dance program, but was told by former and current students in the program (DTs at studio and some of their friends) that she needs a better program than offered there.  Not that she would have really considered the school anyway since it is 20minutes from home!  She is determined to go out of state (MO) and to be fair, there are not many schools in state that will give her what she is looking for!

Her number one choice right now is Point Park.  Since they have rolling admissions, I have been encouraging her to apply now, so we can schedule her audition.  Of course, despite 10 years of college admissions experience, mom knows absolutely nothing [rolleyes] , so application has not been filled out/submitted yet!  She has a couple of other schools in mind, but really has her heart set on Point Park right now.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out for her.  Academically, I am pretty sure she is fine.  It's just the application/audition process that I worry about.  I really don't think she understands the scope of applying for college, and anytime I try to talk to her about it, I get tuned out.

To my knowledge, PPU doesn't have audition dates posted yet so you have some time there...
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My DD is class of 2017 too! She wants a musical theatre BFA program. So far she wants to look at Syracuse, UCF, some place out in Seattle, Utah, and North Carolina. Have not done any visits yet, since she is away this month at a musical theatre intensive at Wesleyan University.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
theyarg my dd just went through the BFA musical theater process if you need any guidance or direction I'd be happy to help,
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemonkey
theyarg my dd just went through the BFA musical theater process if you need any guidance or direction I'd be happy to help,

Thank you!  I am sure we will have tons of questions.[smile]
StepLeap

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
DD17 is ready to start her senior year! She plans on staying local- we have a wonderful university less than 5 minutes away and they have all of the programs that she desires. She wants to head into an engineering field of some sort and may continue with dance on the side.
trinitymomof2

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Me, DD's first choice is Point Park, even more so after just spending 3 weeks their doing their international summer dance program. She was able to audition while she was there, so we are just waiting to hear. They only take about 75 or so students between the 3 disciplines, she is focusing on Modern, so we are super stresses about the numbers game. She is also planning on auditioning at Slippery Rock, and we are still debating a 3rd choice.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
O. M. G!!

DD is class of 2017. She is my oldest so all of this is new to me. I am dreading a long year of lasts and many tearful goodbyes. Full disclosure, I am a full on ugly crier. I do have a son who will be a sophomore. He has Autism/Aspergers and his journey through school and extra curriculars is very different. So for some things, I am saying good bye forever.

We have started campus visits. DD wavers between Astro physics, Biochem and undecided lol. And she also wants to dance, sing in a choir, learn Japanese and pledge a sorority. Since she doesn't have a complete idea of what she wants to do, we are keeping our search within Michigan. No point in paying out of state tuition for an undecided major. Of course, she wants to go to U of M. She has the grades and test scores but it is sooooo competitive before and after admission. I'm not sure it's the best place for her. And I have no clue if she can still dance or sing if she is a science major. Our tour is Monday. Michigan State is next Friday. We toured Hope this week. I loved it. I think DD loved it. But she wasn't sure if she saw herself living there. She admitted that maybe it's too far (2.5 hours) from home. Part of me is flattered, part of me is ready to push her out of the nest. I left for college at 17 and never looked back. It's a different generation for sure.

Like StepLeap, we are approx 20 minutes from the same local university. Their academic program is respected. DDs studio tap teacher's main job is teaching tap at this university. Her HS choir works with the university Choir Director. The summer musical she is in each summer is practiced and performed at this university. She has worked with singers, dancers, actors and faculty from this university. Plus she would get a ton of scholarship $$. It's almost too safe of a choice. At least in DDs eyes.

Best of luck to all of you! Let me know if I can help.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Me too, but he's not my dancer. I also had a 2015 graduate.

Ds17 is my distance runner. He's interested in accounting and also running for a smaller D3 school. He's received a few recruitment letters and were doing the whole college visit thing now.

Dd14 is my dancer and Ina few shirt years, she'll be done too. Time flies!
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Victory!!  Point Park application submitted!  First of many hurdles cleared.  Now once her application is accepted and they activate on-line registration, we can schedule her audition. Baby steps!
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
O. M. G!!

DD is class of 2017. She is my oldest so all of this is new to me. I am dreading a long year of lasts and many tearful goodbyes. Full disclosure, I am a full on ugly crier. I do have a son who will be a sophomore. He has Autism/Aspergers and his journey through school and extra curriculars is very different. So for some things, I am saying good bye forever.

We have started campus visits. DD wavers between Astro physics, Biochem and undecided lol. And she also wants to dance, sing in a choir, learn Japanese and pledge a sorority. Since she doesn't have a complete idea of what she wants to do, we are keeping our search within Michigan. No point in paying out of state tuition for an undecided major. Of course, she wants to go to U of M. She has the grades and test scores but it is sooooo competitive before and after admission. I'm not sure it's the best place for her. And I have no clue if she can still dance or sing if she is a science major. Our tour is Monday. Michigan State is next Friday. We toured Hope this week. I loved it. I think DD loved it. But she wasn't sure if she saw herself living there. She admitted that maybe it's too far (2.5 hours) from home. Part of me is flattered, part of me is ready to push her out of the nest. I left for college at 17 and never looked back. It's a different generation for sure.

Like StepLeap, we are approx 20 minutes from the same local university. Their academic program is respected. DDs studio tap teacher's main job is teaching tap at this university. Her HS choir works with the university Choir Director. The summer musical she is in each summer is practiced and performed at this university. She has worked with singers, dancers, actors and faculty from this university. Plus she would get a ton of scholarship $$. It's almost too safe of a choice. At least in DDs eyes.

Best of luck to all of you! Let me know if I can help.

One of dd's closest friends is starting her junior year at Michigan this Fall. She's had a great time there and it definitely hasn't been a stressful environment for her. She was in a dance group for a while but she's not a dance major. She felt the group was just not very good and chose to quit. She's the president of her sorority and really loves that. She got a little too caught up in the party atmosphere her freshman year but it didn't hurt her grades and the novelty of the 24/7 party wore off long ago and she's back to being her very responsible, focused self.
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My dancer is not going to pursue a dance degree but still wants dance opportunities. He is looking mostly at places that have studios that offer adult drop in classes. His list so far is Iowa State University (fallback option), The University of Texas - Austin, and Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo. He plans on a computer science major.
novadancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
DD17 doesn't want to pursue dance as a career but she definitely wants to join dance team or dance company. She is Pre-law all the way, has wanted to be a lawyer for 7 years. LOL. She is definitely a future planner. I'm hoping she stays in VA, considering in state tuition is a LOT less and VA has so many great great schools...but.. we toured schools in NC and she is in love with UNC. Her entire mindset since that tour has been alllll UNC. She took the SAT once and is planning on taking it 2-3 more times and also the ACT at least once. She's not strong in math but she has a tutor to help her. DD is my one and only so this entire process is both depressing and confusing. So different from my time.  Not only am I a huge crier, so is she. She cried at Worlds about how she only has one more year. HA. It's going to be an emotionally tough year for the both of us but we are so excited for her to take her next step. Good luck to all other parents with 2017 seniors [frown]
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadancemom
DD17 doesn't want to pursue dance as a career but she definitely wants to join dance team or dance company. She is Pre-law all the way, has wanted to be a lawyer for 7 years. LOL. She is definitely a future planner. I'm hoping she stays in VA, considering in state tuition is a LOT less and VA has so many great great schools...but.. we toured schools in NC and she is in love with UNC. Her entire mindset since that tour has been alllll UNC. She took the SAT once and is planning on taking it 2-3 more times and also the ACT at least once. She's not strong in math but she has a tutor to help her. DD is my one and only so this entire process is both depressing and confusing. So different from my time.  Not only am I a huge crier, so is she. She cried at Worlds about how she only has one more year. HA. It's going to be an emotionally tough year for the both of us but we are so excited for her to take her next step. Good luck to all other parents with 2017 seniors [frown]

Are you doing individual tutoring? In our experience that is the best bang for the buck. Our oldest increased his ACT score by 3 points with private tutoring. Totally covered the cost we paid with the increase in his merit scholarship. My rising senior is doing ACT tutoring right now just to open up his school options. Good luck to her!!!!
novadancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmom

Are you doing individual tutoring? In our experience that is the best bang for the buck. Our oldest increased his ACT score by 3 points with private tutoring. Totally covered the cost we paid with the increase in his merit scholarship. My rising senior is doing ACT tutoring right now just to open up his school options. Good luck to her!!!!

We're doing small group at the moment. 1 on 3 students. The idea of individual tutoring sounds great too! Congrats to your oldest on the increase of scores! And good luck to your rising senior as well [smile]
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I was just reminded that this Friday is the next ACT deadline.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylenek
I was just reminded that this Friday is the next ACT deadline.
Sheylenek. Just wanted to let you know Pace University has an awesome arts admin degree. And they give wonderful scholarships. Almost full rides.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemonkey
Sheylenek. Just wanted to let you know Pace University has an awesome arts admin degree. And they give wonderful scholarships. Almost full rides.

Are you saying they give almost full rides, in general, or for that specific program?  Because I can say that I've never heard of them giving even close to a full ride for their dance program.  Don't get me wrong, they give substantial scholarships... much more than the other schools, but their tuition is so expensive that it still leaves a huge balance.  Pace offered DD almost as much in scholarships as her full tuition at Marymount, but it still left a significant balance out of pocket had she decided to go there.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

Are you saying they give almost full rides, in general, or for that specific program?  Because I can say that I've never heard of them giving even close to a full ride for their dance program.  Don't get me wrong, they give substantial scholarships... much more than the other schools, but their tuition is so expensive that it still leaves a huge balance.  Pace offered DD almost as much in scholarships as her full tuition at Marymount, but it still left a significant balance out of pocket had she decided to go there.

I know one boy from our studio who got $200,000 to Pace which really was a full ride except for housing.  I think he roomed with 3 other guys in an apartment.  Don't know what he is doing this year...still at Pace but don't know about housing.  Another kid got a good chunk to Pace but I don't know how much.  Of course those are 2 boys....so there you go.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

I know one boy from our studio who got $200,000 to Pace which really was a full ride except for housing.  I think he roomed with 3 other guys in an apartment.  Don't know what he is doing this year...still at Pace but don't know about housing.  Another kid got a good chunk to Pace but I don't know how much.  Of course those are 2 boys....so there you go.

I don't remember the final total for DD's financial aid statement from Pace (I didn't pay it much attention because she already knew she wasn't going there when it came in).  But it was somewhere between $65 and $70K for the year (with housing).  So $200K is most of the tuition.  DD has LOTS of friends (boys included) who are AMAZING dancers who go there... I've never heard of anyone getting that much from Pace, so I wouldn't say that it's typical for them to offer that kind of money.  Lots of kids where given a significant dance award OR a significant academic award... but they could only use one or the other, whichever was greater.  If they could have combined them then it would have been full rides (or close to it), but because that wasn't allowed it left a significant amount due each year.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:

I don't remember the final total for DD's financial aid statement from Pace (I didn't pay it much attention because she already knew she wasn't going there when it came in).  But it was somewhere between $65 and $70K for the year (with housing).  So $200K is most of the tuition.  DD has LOTS of friends (boys included) who are AMAZING dancers who go there... I've never heard of anyone getting that much from Pace, so I wouldn't say that it's typical for them to offer that kind of money.  Lots of kids where given a significant dance award OR a significant academic award... but they could only use one or the other, whichever was greater.  If they could have combined them then it would have been full rides (or close to it), but because that wasn't allowed it left a significant amount due each year.

Gotta be honest, I don't know the exact details because that boy is 3 or 4 years older than my dd and they weren't friends, just friendly.  I was at a grad party with his mom last spring and she said the majority of that money was NYCDA foundation money...so maybe you are right about it not coming from Pace.  I am still not all that clear on how that college NYCDA money works.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:

Gotta be honest, I don't know the exact details because that boy is 3 or 4 years older than my dd and they weren't friends, just friendly.  I was at a grad party with his mom last spring and she said the majority of that money was NYCDA foundation money...so maybe you are right about it not coming from Pace.  I am still not all that clear on how that college NYCDA money works.

So, at the college scholarship auditions at NYCDA nationals the dancers are auditioning for the colleges and for the NYCDA Foundation.  The Foundation awards a handful of scholarships ranging from $5K to $25K total, to be broken up over 4 years.  The colleges award scholarships in line with whatever is normal with their school.  The $25K scholarship from the Foundation is given out to 1 person per year (the past two years it has gone to their Senior National ODs from the previous year).  The biggest scholarship I've actually witnessed being awarded by Pace at NYCDA nationals was for $25K per year, for a total of $100K... and that was just to a couple of kids from the hundreds at the audition.  That's not to say they haven't given more than that in past years, but that's just what I've seen.  That's not to say that, once the Financial Package was complete, that Pace didn't end up offering them more than the $100K.  I know the scholarship amount awarded in DD's package was more than what she got at Nationals.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't doubt the boy got the $200K, my post was just in reference to your saying that Pace gives out scholarships that are almost full rides.  I was just trying to clarify that this is not typical.  The norm that I've heard owed in loans or out of pocket after the Pace scholarships and Federal grants are applied is typically between $25 to $30K per year.  A friend of mine, whose son is going to Pace and got a substantial scholarship, will actually have a balance of about $600 per semester AFTER all the loans (student and parent Plus) are applied.  So the boy from your studio is a very lucky young man!  He must be very talented!  [smile]
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:

So, at the college scholarship auditions at NYCDA nationals the dancers are auditioning for the colleges and for the NYCDA Foundation.  The Foundation awards a handful of scholarships ranging from $5K to $25K total, to be broken up over 4 years.  The colleges award scholarships in line with whatever is normal with their school.  The $25K scholarship from the Foundation is given out to 1 person per year (the past two years it has gone to their Senior National ODs from the previous year).  The biggest scholarship I've actually witnessed being awarded by Pace at NYCDA nationals was for $25K per year, for a total of $100K... and that was just to a couple of kids from the hundreds at the audition.  That's not to say they haven't given more than that in past years, but that's just what I've seen.  That's not to say that, once the Financial Package was complete, that Pace didn't end up offering them more than the $100K.  I know the scholarship amount awarded in DD's package was more than what she got at Nationals.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't doubt the boy got the $200K, my post was just in reference to your saying that Pace gives out scholarships that are almost full rides.  I was just trying to clarify that this is not typical.  The norm that I've heard owed in loans or out of pocket after the Pace scholarships and Federal grants are applied is typically between $25 to $30K per year.  A friend of mine, whose son is going to Pace and got a substantial scholarship, will actually have a balance of about $600 per semester AFTER all the loans (student and parent Plus) are applied.  So the boy from your studio is a very lucky young man!  He must be very talented!  [smile]

Sorry I'm not more knowledgeable about what he got and from where.  I just haven't really gotten that there is a difference until really recently so I haven't really retained what they are talking about.  He is talented and I think a NYCDA staff favorite from what I could tell.  He had been going since he was little when the number of boys attending was really small.  I think he is hoping to be picked up by the Bolshoi this year (not sure what would happen to that scholarship if he does...not sure if they would hold it.)
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:

Sorry I'm not more knowledgeable about what he got and from where.  I just haven't really gotten that there is a difference until really recently so I haven't really retained what they are talking about.  He is talented and I think a NYCDA staff favorite from what I could tell.  He had been going since he was little when the number of boys attending was really small.  I think he is hoping to be picked up by the Bolshoi this year (not sure what would happen to that scholarship if he does...not sure if they would hold it.)

No, I'm sorry.  It wasn't my intention for this to be a big thing.  I only wanted to point out that that size scholarship from Pace is not the norm.  Like I said, I don't doubt the boy from your studio received a sizable award.  And I certainly don't expect you to know the details of a scholarship received by a child that is not your own.  So my intention was simply to clarify that Pace is a very expensive school that does not typically award full rides.  [smile] 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: