Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
MSDanceMomma

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #51 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylenek
I survived!!  The graduation weekend was wonderful and the kiddo was named an Honor Grad.  I have to say I didn't even cry - yet.  I think last recital will be my undoing.

Same!  Teared up a LOT at her last high school dance performance and a little at her last choir concert and graduation.  Graduation weekend was wonderful, party was a blast, seeing her with friends and favorite teachers was so so special!  

Do believe I will be doing the ugly cry at recital and nationals. If you sit by me, bring tissues and hold my hand! [smile]

Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #52 
Not my dancer, but my ds17 just graduated today. You would all be proud of me, I didn't cry at all. The ceremony was lovely, ds looked distinguished and he was really upbeat the entire day. He's my temperamental one, so you never know. The only downer was the weather. It's 50 and rainy here in Michigan. It was 80 and gorgeous all week until mid yesterday. Ah well, at least we had an indoor venue. He's down for a quick nap and then off to the senior all night celebration. One last hurrah with his buddies. [smile]
KimsMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Today, our HS had a Summa Cum Laude breakfast for all kids with >=3.8.  There were almost a hundred, including DD and DS (DD got on the Wall of Fame for having a >=4.0 too--she will be up on the wall through next year).  They graduate on Saturday, with Senior All Night Party after.

I took DS to orientation on Monday at Grand Valley State University and they had a session on Transitioning to College--for the parent.  They even asked how many of us were a little bit teary-eyed during the day, after they whisked our young adults away to register and other things.  We've been so used to being there and being the cruise director of their lives, and to see him taking care of things himself is really eye-opening.  I guess I did my job right!

DD just got done in a four-hour marathon with the three other seniors at our studio to develop their senior dance for recital yesterday.  She goes to orientation at Western Michigan University in a couple of weeks (an overnight orientation).

Yep, teary here too.  Congratulations to all of your kids!
Kitzka

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Just wanted to congratulate the class of 2015. you've all done amazing (moms and grads)!
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
DS has changed his major 3 times now.  He started out two years ago in computer science and hated that.  He has always wanted to do something in the arts but wasn't sure what.  Last year he did a year program in media fundamentals to see where his interest really lied (music, film, art, journalism) and has decided that he wants to go into journalism so next year he will be starting his degree in that.  We told him this is his last degree and then we are done.

He'll get there.  A lot of time you have an idea what it means to "do" a career but when you get into the classes, you realize it is a whole different world and definitely not your cup of tea. A thousand years ago (that's what it feels like) I was the queen of changing majors.  I went to night school and paid for college myself, so while I'm sure I annoyed my mother, she couldn't complain.  
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
Quote:
DS has changed his major 3 times now.  He started out two years ago in computer science and hated that.  He has always wanted to do something in the arts but wasn't sure what.  Last year he did a year program in media fundamentals to see where his interest really lied (music, film, art, journalism) and has decided that he wants to go into journalism so next year he will be starting his degree in that.  We told him this is his last degree and then we are done.

He'll get there.  A lot of time you have an idea what it means to "do" a career but when you get into the classes, you realize it is a whole different world and definitely not your cup of tea. A thousand years ago (that's what it feels like) I was the queen of changing majors.  I went to night school and paid for college myself, so while I'm sure I annoyed my mother, she couldn't complain.  

I do understand.  I feel like these kids are so young to be deciding their lives.  He graduated high school at 17 and was expected to know what he wanted to do with his life.
Daniella03

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #57 
I do understand.  I feel like these kids are so young to be deciding their lives.  He graduated high school at 17 and was expected to know what he wanted to do with his life.

To me this is just not ideal for every teenager and young person. Most of us don't know what we want to do with our lives at 18 and I think university at that point can be very much a waste of money. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking some time before you go to university to figure it out. Whether it's working, travelling or both, it gives good life experiences.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #58 
Since they did away with grade 13 here we have kids graduating high school as young as 16 years old and being expected to know what they want to study for the next 4 yers and make their life.  Most of my friends with kids the same age have the same stories I have.  Kids who were incredibly smart and went into a pre-med track first year only to switch to things like public relations and dance year two.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
Quote:

My dd is only a freshman and she already feels pressured to "figure it out."  Her PAHS really pushes for college readiness.  They started sending them to college and career fairs 2 years ago.  Next year she will have to start making some decisions and will start attending some of the college dance auditions that come to her school (although they won't be 'for reals' for another couple of years.  I think next year the ACT prep starts too.  There is no way they prepped us this hard back when I was young.  We've already had a lot of discussions about the difference between doing what your heart loves but being poor or maybe doing a job that you don't have passion for and being able to support yourself and afford to retire someday.  One fills your heart but maybe not your pocketbook, while the other fills your pocketbook but not your heart.  There is no shame is choosing your pocketbook over your heart as there is peace and joy in stability too.  It's a hard decision at such a young age.
bethandgirls

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #60 
Recital was last weekend.  It was tough.  I think I will do better at graduation.  I sat in the audience and sobbed during her graduate dance.  She danced with the other graduate and then was surprised on stage with two younger girls from our studio who are like little sisters to her.  The dance ended with them sitting on the stage hugging and crying. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #61 
Awww! That sounds so sweet, bethandgirls!

I'm right there with those that think it is a bit much for every 16, 17 and 18 yr old to know what it is they want or need from the next step in education. It's part of why we are allowing dd to approach her college education differently. She's continuing to dance while working on the general education requirements from her university on a part-time basis. Our hope is that once she is done with dance from a performance point of view, she will have a better concept of what she wants from an education and will have a better idea of what she will major in. Right now, her concentration (their term for major) is history, but it really looks like she is headed towards a degree in writing and/or literature. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #62 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniella03

To me this is just not ideal for every teenager and young person. Most of us don't know what we want to do with our lives at 18 and I think university at that point can be very much a waste of money. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking some time before you go to university to figure it out. Whether it's working, travelling or both, it gives good life experiences.

I'm with you.  I'm encouraging gap years for all my kids.  And even after, I won't necessarily be pushing for 4 straight full time years of college.  Part time study while working and volunteering can really allow them the time to get to know themselves and the world a little better before diving in and wasting a lot of time and money on something that ends up not being a good fit.  I'll never understand this push to have everything all figured out by 22.  Life is long.  There's no need to rush.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #63 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniella03

I'm with you.  I'm encouraging gap years for all my kids.  And even after, I won't necessarily be pushing for 4 straight full time years of college.  Part time study while working and volunteering can really allow them the time to get to know themselves and the world a little better before diving in and wasting a lot of time and money on something that ends up not being a good fit.  I'll never understand this push to have everything all figured out by 22.  Life is long.  There's no need to rush.

We used to have grade 13 here but they did away with 5 year high schools and now we are seeing most kids graduate and go to post secondary at 17 and some as young as 16.  It is way too young for them to really know what they want to do with their lives.  Even at 19 when I graduated high school I didn't know.
Daniella03

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #64 
I have a degree I don't use at all. I wanted to take some time and work and travel and got told by my over strict dad that it was university. So I did a degree that I was good at, but grew to hate because it wasn't my passion. I now work in a field that is my passion and getting a second degree, because I need one specific to my field. Funnily enough I'm in a field that was becoming my passion at 18 I just didn't know it yet.

My daughter knows she can take her time and figure life out but mom is only paying tuition for one 4 year degree and if she wants to go to the states she better get a scholarship.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #65 
My DD just turned 17 last month and she was due to graduate high school this year, but she made the decision to do Grades 11 and 12 over three years. It is an option but not a common option, about 1% of students take this option. But Ashleigh is quite a perfectionist (typical eldest child) and she is very busy with dance and she wanted to be able to achieve to her potential and still do all her dance hours. I am personally very glad she made this desicions because I too think 17 is just too young to be out having to make those life desicions.

Riley turned 15 this year and she has made the same desicions as she heads into Grade 11 next year. She made the desicions because of gymnastics, most of the high level gymnasts do this because of the hours they do. It was actually from Riley that Ashleigh got the idea. I am relived she has made this desicions too because Ruley has always been very immature, she gets there but always later than her peers. She is intelligent but the way she behaves you would not always know it. So I am glad she has an extra 12 months to mature.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #66 
Some kids really do know what they want. Those that do tend to do well in college and then in their chosen profession. My middle child is an example of this group. She's very driven and amazes me constantly. Some kids who are not so sure but have been successful students in high school and have a desire to continue their education while they figure out their major will likely also do well in college. There is another group though that I think could really benefit from a gap year with a purpose. I wish we had taken this route with my son. He's a very smart man but he wasn't particularly motivated in high school. He would have outstanding grades in every class he liked and then a B or a C in things he didn't like. He's very compassionate and kind and a gifted artist but he just didn't have a goal. He went straight into college at 17 and not surprisingly, repeated the same pattern as high school. He graduated and still didn't have a solid goal. Since then we have had friends who chose a gap year. The ones who spent that year engaged in some type of program for work or service came out of it with a better sense of themselves and were better off than those who didn't really do anything or those, like my son, who went to college without a goal.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #67 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
Some kids really do know what they want. Those that do tend to do well in college and then in their chosen profession. My middle child is an example of this group. She's very driven and amazes me constantly. Some kids who are not so sure but have been successful students in high school and have a desire to continue their education while they figure out their major will likely also do well in college. There is another group though that I think could really benefit from a gap year with a purpose. I wish we had taken this route with my son. He's a very smart man but he wasn't particularly motivated in high school. He would have outstanding grades in every class he liked and then a B or a C in things he didn't like. He's very compassionate and kind and a gifted artist but he just didn't have a goal. He went straight into college at 17 and not surprisingly, repeated the same pattern as high school. He graduated and still didn't have a solid goal. Since then we have had friends who chose a gap year. The ones who spent that year engaged in some type of program for work or service came out of it with a better sense of themselves and were better off than those who didn't really do anything or those, like my son, who went to college without a goal.

It has taken DS two years of college and two different programs to finally figure out where his passion lies.  I wish we had encouraged him more to do an extra year of high school or take a gap year.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #68 

Bringing this thread back up so see how the rest of the class of 2015 is holding up!

This all just got real here. Just signed as co-signer on dd's apartment! 

Until very recently, we had though dd was going to live at home for one more year and continue her commute into the city for her training. Instead, she's going to do that until December and then move about 10 hrs away for a trainee position. It's sort of like having a second semester start like some colleges do. This was her choice. We could have rearranged things and had her start in the fall, but she's already registered for her fall college classes based on her current ballet schedule. The trainee schedule is the exact opposite of her home schedule and even more hours. This is a happy compromise. 

Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #69 
Moving my dd to college Thursday. We are all holding up surprisingly well. Excited for all of the new things coming her way. I already got to see her dance as a college student this summer. All the worrying about "last" was a waste of time. Nothing has ended. It's all just evolving
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #70 
Yep, it's gearing up. My ds17 is commuting but he's growing up, doing a lot more on his own in terms of college, classes, auditions (he's a music major), when only a few shorts months ago he'd ask old mom here for help.

He organized one last hurrah with his senior buddies who are moving into dorms, and some who aren't too. We are having a small party at our house. BBQ, bonfire, goodbyes.

He auditioned and made a local brass ensemble of 30 musicians, mostly college age. He'll play trombone and they rehearse Tuesday nights and perform several concerts throughout the year.

His AP score came in and he gets credit for 4 first semester classes! Cha-Ching!!!!

Finally, he's set up a final meeting with his freshman advisor to finalize his schedule, order books, and he'll be ready to start on September 2nd. He seems really excited and we are as well. This is a great time for him and I'm feeling more like he's ready. [smile]
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #71 
I just bought DS the new Mac he needs for his program and paid his tuition.  He is still looking for an apartment closer to school but says he is definitely moving out.  It will be weird to not have him here.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #72 
We move ds into the dorms on the 15th. I am so excited for him but at the same time my mommas heart hurts. It will be so strange to not have him at home.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #73 
DD moves in to her dorm on the 28th.  She signed up for one last summer musical, and has a lead in "Bring It On".  She has been very busy socially also so I feel like I see very little of her already.
[frown]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #74 
ITA, @My@DanceLoves. I do feel like this entire last year, this summer in particular, has been preparation for ME for dd moving out! LOL. She's barely been around since last September. 
MSDanceMomma

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #75 
We recently took a vacation and now we're back and in full gear getting ready to move into college next weekend.   My dd is not taking dance this first semester (or probably first year) as she wants to branch out and do some other things.  As a friend of mine said over the weekend, talented or not, most of these kids (on company) will not be doing dance past college as life calls them to grow in different directions.  That's my child and while it will be strange to not have her underfoot, I'm excited to see what the future holds for her. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: