Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
KimsMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittenmom3
Another music major here. My ds17 was awarded a full scholarship to oakland university (in Michigan) for the fall term and plans on putting all those years of band, piano lessons, choir, etc to good use. Up until a month ago, he was planning on majoring in mechanical engineering. Pretty big switch, I know! Music is his passion though, so we knew he'd gravitate in that direction eventually. 13, 15 including preschool, years of hard work and this chapter of his life will be behind him. We are enormously proud, but these years went by far too quickly. Sniff, sniff.

My twins really liked OU when we visited, but felt more at home with Grand Valley and WMU.  DD's euphonium/baritone teacher from one of her Blue Lake sessions (she went 4 summers for band) was from Oakland, and she thought he was really cool.
KimsMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylenek
Psmom - you just made me cry [wink]  ;(  Not sure which.  Everyone is asking how I can let her go so far from home but she is so excited to further her training and "get out of dodge" that I can't help but be excited for her.
I completely understand. I'm practically a walking puddle of tears these days and I'm often smiling while the tears are rolling.

Ditto!
dancegirlz

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Just paid the deposit at Tisch.  DD is very happy [smile]. mom is freaking out a bit realizing that we are basically buying another house...
dancer417

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #29 
DD18 is going to UNC Chapel Hill and wants to study Biology with the hopes of going to med school to become a pediatrician. She thinks she may want to get involved with some type of dance organization, but nothing as serious as the school dance team. I am getting so sad to leave the world of competitive dance; we had our last regional competition last weekend!! Oh well, we still have recital and nationals!
Dancers96and98

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancegirlz
Just paid the deposit at Tisch.  DD is very happy [smile]. mom is freaking out a bit realizing that we are basically buying another house...

Congratulations on your daughter's acceptance into Tisch.  My son is just finishing up his first year there and absolutely loves it!
bopmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
She will be 700 miles from home so I'm prepared to never get a good nights sleep again! She's also my 3rd child to leave the nest. I think having been through it I don't dread it as much as I did the first time. Not because I'm not as attached (actually probably more attached) but because it's an amazing journey for your kid and you get to see it all through their eyes. I've never felt more excited for her than I am right now. I plan to be her biggest fan and attend every performance possible. Also with all of the electronic access we have now the daily contact we need to feel at ease is quick and simple and doesn't have to be a big burden. When I was a college freshman I had 1 weekly phone call with my parents. I never remembered the little details of my week so only big news was shared. Now my kids will send a picture of something pretty that catches their eye on the walk to class or text me that they saw the cutest boy on the planet on the bus. It takes a second and I'm right there with them. If I want to make them feel a little homesick I just tell them what I'm cooking for dinner. Then the phone rings and I hear their voices. It's the next best thing to holding them in my arms and it gets me through until the next time we are together .

YOU just made me cry.  DD10 is going to 6th grade next year and I already feel like time is flying. This made me smile and cry at the same time.
MSDanceMomma

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #32 
My baby graduates and it will be hard.  Her brother didn't go away to college and actually still lives at home so she will be the first to fly the roost. I am excited for her and I have a semi-game plan of what I will do to fill the hours I used to fill with dance, drama and all the other girl stuff we did.   I am with you all with the crying/sobbing even at the "lasts" while beaming at the person she is becoming.  
Trifecta

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #33 
My dancer decided on Marymount Manhattan. I've been a single mom for the majority of her life - I'm dreading her moving so far away but my excitement far out weighs those feelings! Good luck to everyone
bethandgirls

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #34 
My dd will be attending SUNY Geneseo majoring in math and minoring in dance.  She is my second to leave for college, but it is still hard.  Not liking all of the lasts that are happening.   I keep telling our studio owner that I am not attending recital this year.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #35 
"I keep telling our studio owner that I am not attending recital this year." bethandgirls

I fear that our SO may not come to recital this year [smile]  We are graduating 6 seniors but 2 have been at the studio for 15 years and another 2 joined them in competition 10 or more years ago.  Each year that a girl is on competition team the SO would have a year embroidered on the sleeve of their team jacket (or jackets as they have grown).  These girls have an arm full of years so she is really having a hard time losing her babies all at once. [image]   
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylenek
"I keep telling our studio owner that I am not attending recital this year." bethandgirls

I fear that our SO may not come to recital this year [smile]  We are graduating 6 seniors but 2 have been at the studio for 15 years and another 2 joined them in competition 10 or more years ago.  Each year that a girl is on competition team the SO would have a year embroidered on the sleeve of their team jacket (or jackets as they have grown).  These girls have an arm full of years so she is really having a hard time losing her babies all at once. [image]   

We are losing 7! It's just awful. Next year there's not a single senior.

Attached Images
jpeg image.jpg (414.58 KB, 5 views)

nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Our studio is losing 17 seniors this year!  It is by far the largest graduating class.  I wish I didn't have to go to recital bc quite honestly I know my D and I and all of the other dancers and dance moms will be bawling our eyes out.  We have been together since these girls were 3 years old.  Almost every one of them are very close so this is going to be a tough adjustment for all of us.  Excited to see how the college years go for them but sad to see them all part ways for a while.  The good thing is my D has plenty of great schools to go visit her friends at [smile]

My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Wow ....17 seniors!  How will anyone get through that recital?  [frown]

I thought our 4 seniors was going to be hard.  It's the most seniors at once for the studio. Everyone is pretty close knit.  It's going to be so hard.
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Tell me about it @My2DanceLoves [frown]

It's honestly going to be tough!  On top of that, our one DT set their lyrical group dance to You'll be Okay...we cry watching them at competition, can't even imagine what it's going to be like at recital. I am going to be a mess. 
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowmomto3
Tell me about it @My2DanceLoves [frown]

It's honestly going to be tough!  On top of that, our one DT set their lyrical group dance to You'll be Okay...we cry watching them at competition, can't even imagine what it's going to be like at recital. I am going to be a mess. 

I know what you mean. There is a small group that we have competed this year that includes 3 of the 4 graduates, one being my DD17.  My DD15 and 1 other dancer are also in it. They end it holding hands.  It kills us every time they perform it.   Last comp they were all crying themselves by the end of the routine and even had 1 of the judges in tears.  That dance is going to destroy everyone at recital.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #41 
QUOTE] She will be 700 miles from home so I'm prepared to never get a good nights sleep again! She's also my 3rd child to leave the nest. I think having been through it I don't dread it as much as I did the first time. Not because I'm not as attached (actually probably more attached) but because it's an amazing journey for your kid and you get to see it all through their eyes. I've never felt more excited for her than I am right now. I plan to be her biggest fan and attend every performance possible. Also with all of the electronic access we have now the daily contact we need to feel at ease is quick and simple and doesn't have to be a big burden. When I was a college freshman I had 1 weekly phone call with my parents. I never remembered the little details of my week so only big news was shared. Now my kids will send a picture of something pretty that catches their eye on the walk to class or text me that they saw the cutest boy on the planet on the bus. It takes a second and I'm right there with them. If I want to make them feel a little homesick I just tell them what I'm cooking for dinner. Then the phone rings and I hear their voices. It's the next best thing to holding them in my arms and it gets me through until the next time we are together .

You hit it right on the money Psmom.  I don't think I've slept completely through a night since two years ago this June.  I love that my dd is succeeding at her goals, she is doing something she loves and (hopefully) will soon be getting paid for it, but it is NOT easy.  We live through texts and I'm lucky that I'm able to go see her shows (when I can afford the plane ticket), but her "growing up years" went by so fast.  Enjoy your kids while they are home!!!

Congratulations to all on the college acceptances!!
Dancexoxocolleen

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #42 
I will be attending CUNY Hunter College with a double major in dance and nutrition. [smile]
purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #43 
Congrats class of 15. My studio is losing 5 seniors this year. Definitely a bittersweet moment.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #44 
We are hurtling full steam ahead towards graduation on Tuesday the 19th. Ds brought his cap and gown home yesterday and I shed a few tears. Today is his last day of high school and I am honestly struggling. I am so proud of him and excited for what the future holds but yall this is hard!!
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncemom01
We are hurtling full steam ahead towards graduation on Tuesday the 19th. Ds brought his cap and gown home yesterday and I shed a few tears. Today is his last day of high school and I am honestly struggling. I am so proud of him and excited for what the future holds but yall this is hard!!

Unbelievably hard.
diglass

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #46 
dncemom01 Yes, it is terribly hard. Nothing prepares you for this time. 
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #47 
DD17 made a final decision.  She is heading to SUNY Potsdam in the fall.  She will major in dance.  She is starting to feel conflicted about going to school or just going for it.  We made an agreement she will give it the year and see how she feels.   She is a young senior.  Won't be 18 until the end of August.  And frankly , she needs to get out of mama's house.  I make everything too easy and she needs to grow a bit in the independence department.  If she decides to stay in school after the year she plans to audition for other schools and try to transfer.  Unless she is totally loving it at Potsdam.  It's not a popular choice for dance , so we will see how this goes.  I am just glad to have a final answer and a plan.  Senior year is a doozy. 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #48 
DS has changed his major 3 times now.  He started out two years ago in computer science and hated that.  He has always wanted to do something in the arts but wasn't sure what.  Last year he did a year program in media fundamentals to see where his interest really lied (music, film, art, journalism) and has decided that he wants to go into journalism so next year he will be starting his degree in that.  We told him this is his last degree and then we are done.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Oh my, yes, yes, yes to the past few posts. It starts getting real when the "home of a 2015 xxx HS graduate" lawn sign comes home as well as the cap and gown. Honors convocations, locker cleanout, the final finals. Church is doing a grad recognition Sunday as well and his youth pastor wanted 5 photos, baby to sr picture. Pouring over all of those photos of my first baby made me melancholy. I'm a hot mess of emotions right now and driving my ds17 nuts with questions. He's my first graduate too, soooo....it's bad.

Young senior here too. He won't be 18 until nov 5th and. I. Need. A. Break. From. Him. Badly. However, he's commuting the first year. Ugh! He needs a bit more time at home, but mama's tired.

Oh, and the changing majors. Yeah, we haven't even made it to orientation and he's gone from engineering to music instruction. He's been talking with his band teacher and private lesson teacher and both have told him to also take education classes so he can teach as well. Audition invites for local bands, brass ensembles are coming in and he's zipping all over the place right now.

May 31st, 3 pm and he will be a graduate. Wwwaaaahhhhhh!!!!!
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #50 
I survived!!  The graduation weekend was wonderful and the kiddo was named an Honor Grad.  I have to say I didn't even cry - yet.  I think last recital will be my undoing.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: