Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Where are your graduates going? What will their major/minor be?

My dd is going to the University of Alabama majoring in dance with a public relations minor and dancing on the schools dance team.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My eldest DD was due to graduate this year, but she elected to do Grades 11 and 12 over three years so we are still waiting for November 2016.
Berricre8v

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Congrats to you both, Psmom.  I really wish my D would have taken a closer look at Alabama.  I'll be watching you closely.  :-)

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My class of 2015 dd has decided to spend another year training in NYC.

Originally, the plan was to enter a trainee program at a ballet company this fall. But, in NYC, she is able to train in more than just ballet at a professional/pre-professional level, something she cannot get in a ballet company. She'll take college classes online and possibly in person at Fordham. Based on how this year has gone, i do not see her taking more than 1 class per semester for now. I wish I had a crystal ball to see where she will heading a year from now. 
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
DD is deciding between SUNY Brockport and SUNY Potsdam.  But we also have our eyes out for any auditions for any trainee programs that look good to her.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My son is graduating and going to Alabama to study computer engineering.
KimsMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My DD2015 is going to Western Michigan University to study a pre-med curriculum.  She was at a competition last week when the dance team had their auditions, but I think she is more interested in performance/competition companies.  She is in such good condition right now and does not want to lose that, and probably a dance group that competes will keep her in good form.  Although she has to research it to see if there is currently such a company, or if not, how to start one.  Michigan State has one, so if she has to start one, I think she will research them (and others) to see how they do it.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimsMom
My DD2015 is going to Western Michigan University to study a pre-med curriculum.  She was at a competition last week when the dance team had their auditions, but I think she is more interested in performance/competition companies.  She is in such good condition right now and does not want to lose that, and probably a dance group that competes will keep her in good form.  Although she has to research it to see if there is currently such a company, or if not, how to start one.  Michigan State has one, so if she has to start one, I think she will research them (and others) to see how they do it.

Congrats on WMU! 

Although not graduating from high school this time...

Oldest son is just finishing a graduate assistantship in conducting at WMU; it has been a great experience for him.  He will then be moving on to a PhD. fellowship in conducting at the University of Illinois!  We are super excited to see what his future holds for him! 

And...I guess years and years of private lessons, weeks and weeks of attendance at music camp, hours and hours spent driving him to and from various youth orchestras and countless dollars spent have paid off!  His undergraduate tuition was partially funded by scholarship, his graduate education was totally funded by the assistantship he was offered and now his PhD. will be funded by the fellowship he was offered!  So yes, all the investment (even in the arts) can be worth it!  I'd say we got our money invested returned multiple times!

Congrats to all the graduating students and congrats on all of their achievements!  I'd say we all have some pretty amazing kids!
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncemom01

We will have to introduce our Bama kids.

I love seeing where everybody is going and what their plans are and congratulations to the college graduates!! Life changes so fast but it's definitely never boring.
KimsMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Dancingpeanut and emmymom, go Broncos!  (Although I should say also "Go Lakers" because her twin brother is going to Grand Valley...)  We have looked at the registered student organizations and there might be a few possibilities, but there are some which have a very narrow focus (liturgical, African/hip hop, swing, the dance major student organization).  So she'll see...

Emmymom, congrats on your son's achievement!  DD has played baritone/euphonium in band for 7 years (her brother is a percussionist/member of Drumline).  I don't think either of them are interested in continuing on Marching or another band, although he might find a rock band or perhaps a drum ensemble.
bbismack

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Dd is going to Alabama and majoring in Psychology. She will create a minor through New College once she gets there; she would really like  a minor in dance education or dance management. We've already had the pleasure of meeting Psmom and her lovely Dd!
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
My son is going to Mercyhurst. He is going to double major in Dance and Political Science with the intention of going to law school when he is done dancing.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbismack
Dd is going to Alabama and majoring in Psychology. She will create a minor through New College once she gets there; she would really like  a minor in dance education or dance management. We've already had the pleasure of meeting Psmom and her lovely Dd!

It was so nice to meet you. Your dd is beautiful!
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimsMom

It depends on the team/group I think. The team P will be on has 5:30amworkouts everyday with the athletic trainer in addition to daily dance classes and rehearsals. She has friends at other schools who are on both dance team and in dance groups that perform and compete. The commitment level between the different schools and groups is huge. I do know that all of them are really happy with the group or team they are on and all have said it has made everything about college even better
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Another music major here. My ds17 was awarded a full scholarship to oakland university (in Michigan) for the fall term and plans on putting all those years of band, piano lessons, choir, etc to good use. Up until a month ago, he was planning on majoring in mechanical engineering. Pretty big switch, I know! Music is his passion though, so we knew he'd gravitate in that direction eventually.

13, 15 including preschool, years of hard work and this chapter of his life will be behind him. We are enormously proud, but these years went by far too quickly. Sniff, sniff.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittenmom3
Another music major here. My ds17 was awarded a full scholarship to oakland university (in Michigan) for the fall term and plans on putting all those years of band, piano lessons, choir, etc to good use. Up until a month ago, he was planning on majoring in mechanical engineering. Pretty big switch, I know! Music is his passion though, so we knew he'd gravitate in that direction eventually. 13, 15 including preschool, years of hard work and this chapter of his life will be behind him. We are enormously proud, but these years went by far too quickly. Sniff, sniff.

Congrats on your son's impending graduation and his scholarship!  That is just wonderful!  What program is he doing at OU?  Performance, education or combined?  My oldest, went to Michigan for his undergrad studies but took a couple gen-ed classes at OU one summer.  Music has been his passion since he was a very young boy.  We are so happy that he has been able to chase his dreams and he will always be able to make a living doing something that he enjoys so dearly.

Best of luck to your son!
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittenmom3
Another music major here. My ds17 was awarded a full scholarship to oakland university (in Michigan) for the fall term and plans on putting all those years of band, piano lessons, choir, etc to good use. Up until a month ago, he was planning on majoring in mechanical engineering. Pretty big switch, I know! Music is his passion though, so we knew he'd gravitate in that direction eventually. 13, 15 including preschool, years of hard work and this chapter of his life will be behind him. We are enormously proud, but these years went by far too quickly. Sniff, sniff.

Congrats on your son's impending graduation and his scholarship!  That is just wonderful!  What program is he doing at OU?  Performance, education or combined?  My oldest, went to Michigan for his undergrad studies but took a couple gen-ed classes at OU one summer.  Music has been his passion since he was a very young boy.  We are so happy that he has been able to chase his dreams and he will always be able to make a living doing something that he enjoys so dearly.

Best of luck to your son!

Thanks [smile] Well, likely education but we will discuss more at orientation with the advisor in June. He does like to perform too.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
Quote:

I love seeing where everybody is going and what their plans are and congratulations to the college graduates!! Life changes so fast but it's definitely never boring.

I don't know about you but I am struggling with him graduating. He is our oldest and I just can't imagine him not being here next year!
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
My DD is going to Elon University majoring in Dance BFA and doubling in Dance Science BS or pre-physical therapy.  And we got to meet mom2rb and her son through this audition process.  Good luck to all of the graduates.  I feel like we have gotten to share this experience with others in similar situations throughout the country.  Thanks!
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know about you but I am struggling with him graduating. He is our oldest and I just can't imagine him not being here next year!

She will be 700 miles from home so I'm prepared to never get a good nights sleep again! She's also my 3rd child to leave the nest. I think having been through it I don't dread it as much as I did the first time. Not because I'm not as attached (actually probably more attached) but because it's an amazing journey for your kid and you get to see it all through their eyes. I've never felt more excited for her than I am right now. I plan to be her biggest fan and attend every performance possible. Also with all of the electronic access we have now the daily contact we need to feel at ease is quick and simple and doesn't have to be a big burden. When I was a college freshman I had 1 weekly phone call with my parents. I never remembered the little details of my week so only big news was shared. Now my kids will send a picture of something pretty that catches their eye on the walk to class or text me that they saw the cutest boy on the planet on the bus. It takes a second and I'm right there with them. If I want to make them feel a little homesick I just tell them what I'm cooking for dinner. Then the phone rings and I hear their voices. It's the next best thing to holding them in my arms and it gets me through until the next time we are together .
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
I love these threads about college and the college search.  Dd is just starting to think about this as she is a freshman, but I am learning so much from the studio kids who have come back for breaks from their first year away and from all of you.  I hope you all stay on occasionally throughout college and let us know how that went and what the kids are doing afterward.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Psmom - you just made me cry [wink]  ;(  Not sure which.  Everyone is asking how I can let her go so far from home but she is so excited to further her training and "get out of dodge" that I can't help but be excited for her.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

She will be 700 miles from home so I'm prepared to never get a good nights sleep again! She's also my 3rd child to leave the nest. I think having been through it I don't dread it as much as I did the first time. Not because I'm not as attached (actually probably more attached) but because it's an amazing journey for your kid and you get to see it all through their eyes. I've never felt more excited for her than I am right now. I plan to be her biggest fan and attend every performance possible. Also with all of the electronic access we have now the daily contact we need to feel at ease is quick and simple and doesn't have to be a big burden. When I was a college freshman I had 1 weekly phone call with my parents. I never remembered the little details of my week so only big news was shared. Now my kids will send a picture of something pretty that catches their eye on the walk to class or text me that they saw the cutest boy on the planet on the bus. It takes a second and I'm right there with them. If I want to make them feel a little homesick I just tell them what I'm cooking for dinner. Then the phone rings and I hear their voices. It's the next best thing to holding them in my arms and it gets me through until the next time we are together .

My ds will on be 2 1/2 hours from home but he is our first to send off. I am so excited for him but at the same time so scared and nervous for him. We are very lucky that 2 of his best friends will be going as well and they are all rooming together. It helps to know who he will be spending so much time with. I hope that it will be easier when my dd goes to college but since she is the baby I am sure it will be equally hard.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylenek
Psmom - you just made me cry [wink]  ;(  Not sure which.  Everyone is asking how I can let her go so far from home but she is so excited to further her training and "get out of dodge" that I can't help but be excited for her.

I completely understand. I'm practically a walking puddle of tears these days and I'm often smiling while the tears are rolling.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:

Oh my goodness I can't!  You're going to make me cry and I still have at least another year with mine before she leaves me!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: