Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
victoriargw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I keep seeing relatively young dancers getting dances and solos choreographed by big name choreographers (Sonya Tayeh, Travis Wall etc.) and it got me wondering, how much are these parents spending to have a dance choreographed by someone like Travis or Mia or Sonya? It's something that's never really crossed my mind before and I have no idea how much someone can charge (plus I assume travel fees, hotels etc.).
JustAnotherDanceMom7

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I don't know what those particular choreographers charge, but I have a friend who's DD had choreo done by a well known name and she paid $1500 for it.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I have never come across this up here.  I would have a really hard time paying someone $1500 to choreograph a solo for an amateur competition.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Not one of the three you mentioned, but a mom at our studio inquired about a moderately well-known choreographer who was in town for a workshop. She was quoted $800. She declined - far more than she wanted to spend. 
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Our studio doesn't allow the dances to be choreographed by an outside person and we aren't allowed to compete as independent.  Even if we were, there is no way I'd pay that much.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for this thread. I have always wondered what people pay for solos choreographed by the "big names". Not because I want to do this, because I don't. Just out of pure nosiness. [biggrin]

And, I completely agree with tappinmom - I don't see myself paying that kind of money for a dance in an amateur competition.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My 16 year old DD is using a big name from NYCDA this year to choreograph her solo. I won't disclose how much it is because quite frankly it's no one's business. It was a number thought that I felt comfortable with (I can say it's not $1500). I wouldn't pay big money for an amateur competition either. And I'm not. What I am paying for is the opportunity for DD to work with someone who I think she has a lot to gain from. The solo is icing on the cake. She's working with someone who she respects and looks up to, someone who's choreography she can grow from. The 3 hours she will have to work one on one, in my opinion, will be invaluable.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Is this whole dance thing just about the "amateur dance competition" or is it about what many of us refer to as the "process/experience". IMO if it's really only about the former then hefty choreo fees should be the least of one's concerns given what people are ready and willing to pay for costumes and entry fees (etc etc) for upwards of 10 (or more) numbers 4, 5, 6+ times a season.  And if it's about the latter?  It's just going to be a matter of how much value you attach to the opportunity.  There's no one size fits all here.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I think what you pay as an individual purchaser is nobody's business.  I also think parents want to know about how much a generalized solo would cost from various 'big name' choreographers...mostly because they want to see if it is in the range of possibilities for them to be able to afford.

I think that there are occasionally ancillary costs that can be associated with a sole fee depending on whether you go to the choreographer or the choreographer comes to you. (Hotel, transportation, food and entertainment)  If you want a choreographer to come to you, expect to pay for his travel costs, hotel and food costs for the time he is with you.  I think sometimes that can be mitigated if you live or are in the same city as the choreographer or if they are already booked to come to your studio for master classes or to choreograph group pieces.

Sometimes I think it is hard to get ahold of some choreographers.  I know Travis Wall doesn't answer emails or facebook messaging.  Lots of people I know have approached some of the 'big names' at conventions and talked to them individually to see if they are open to solo choreography and to see if they are affordable.  I have heard Mia Michaels is the most expensive with the most off fee requirements...but I haven't verified for myself if that is true.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
This is a nice conversation. I hope I didn't sound like I was judging anyone for paying those high fees, because I'm not. I realize that a talented dancer could possibly gain a lot by working one-on-one with a big name choreographer. My dd isn't one of those super-talented dancers, and I see how much she improves with one-on-one dance lessons. To us, this is just an expensive hobby, so we wouldn't be willing to pay that kind of money for one solo entered into amateur dance competitions.

Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
The last few summers, SO brings in at least one or two outside choreographers. They teach master classes and may choreograph a group dance or two. Their travel costs are rolled into the fees we pay for that. In addition, they offer to choreograph solos. In the past, we have had a recent SYTYCD top ten alum. He charged approx $500 for a solo. This year, the choreographer had a dance show for a year. He is charging $800 for a solo. Most of the other choreographers we bring in are approx $400. Again, none of these costs include travel, meals, etc.. For these prices, a dancer gets three hours to work with the choreographer and learn a solo. The dancer is then on their own to rehearse, clean, etc.. In the past, a dancer would book privates with a DT to rehearse further before competitions.

Being that our studio is newer, the guest choreographer experience has been mixed. Some have been great. Others, not so much. I would definitely get multiple recommendations before booking.

Good question OP. I have always wondered the same. We see two studios in our area at comps who have Sonya and Travis choreograph their group dances. This is for kids as young as nine.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.