Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD11 might audition for Cincinnati Ballet's Nutcracker performances in the Detroit area.

I found a cast list of 2017 children's roles for the Cincinnati performances. Since there are three different audition times based on height, I am wondering which roles are for which height? From scouring YouTube, the party scene children and soldiers look pretty tall.

The performances are the weekend after Thanksgiving, so they won't conflict with her own studio's Nut. IF she gets selected, I'm not sure how the rehearsals will work out, though. We'll cross that bridge IF it even comes to that.

TIA
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I believe this is the first year it's been with the Cincinnati Ballet as it's been BalletMet in the past. It will be interesting to see which roles they cast with Detroit dancers. I assume all of Ballet Detroit will be auditioning as I know several of my daughter's friends from her SI have already talked about the auditions tonight. 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
DD has had a rough week.

Her height range group had about 80-90. She was in the first group that was asked to leave.

She said the only dancing they did was skipping. Otherwise, it was by height. Turns out she is too tall/old looking to be a chick, but too short for any other role.

I figure she's learning early that rejection isn't easy and there will be many more auditions where people will be cut just by look and size.

Still, it's hard for an 11-yr-old to not take it personally.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Any audition is still experience for her. We'll think about this nutcracker for next year when we don't have our own studio's to contend with. My daughter has the opposite problem though, she's tall for 11 so her audition would be tough next to people who have more experience than her. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Phx... was this the only Nut option in your area or perhaps just the most professional & therefore the most appealing? In the event that it was the latter I'll just offer up my own dd's experience...  

We have more Nut opportunities in this area than I can count, some clearly more 'professional' than others.  When dd decided to pursue the opportunity on her own last yr she was definitely more drawn to those that were known to be of, let's call it 'higher' quality.  So, for example, those performed in a professional theatre &/or w/full orchestra &/or featured professionals &/or beautiful costumes/scenery... you get my drift.  Anyway, as it turned out she did end up performing in one that fit that description & it was everything she'd hoped BUT she also decided to do another one.   One that had initially intrigued her because it offered a touring opportunity.  Nothing worth bragging about but w/a total of 11 performances over 4 consecutive weekends in 5 different venues, it was definitely an opportunity for personal growth. Long story short... that latter experience ended up being so much more than she'd imagine.  So much so that she performed w/them in their Spring show, is performing w/them now in their Fall show, & will be a much bigger presence in their Nut this year.  All those things that it lacked that initially had her a bit concerned? They didn't matter. She grew, & continues to grow, in ways that she never imagined when she decided to take on the opportunity.  It's really been quite a pleasant surprise.

My point?  "If" you (or anyone else reading) are limiting your scope of Nuts thinking that only the bigger brighter shinier productions are going to be worth your time & effort... perhaps think again.  All performance opportunities are good performance opportunities. And sometimes they can really surprise you :-)              

Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

Phx... was this the only Nut option in your area or perhaps just the most professional & therefore the most appealing? In the event that it was the latter I'll just offer up my own dd's experience...  

We have more Nut opportunities in this area than I can count, some clearly more 'professional' than others.  When dd decided to pursue the opportunity on her own last yr she was definitely more drawn to those that were known to be of, let's call it 'higher' quality.  So, for example, those performed in a professional theatre &/or w/full orchestra &/or featured professionals &/or beautiful costumes/scenery... you get my drift.  Anyway, as it turned out she did end up performing in one that fit that description & it was everything she'd hoped BUT she also decided to do another one.   One that had initially intrigued her because it offered a touring opportunity.  Nothing worth bragging about but w/a total of 11 performances over 4 consecutive weekends in 5 different venues, it was definitely an opportunity for personal growth. Long story short... that latter experience ended up being so much more than she'd imagine.  So much so that she performed w/them in their Spring show, is performing w/them now in their Fall show, & will be a much bigger presence in their Nut this year.  All those things that it lacked that initially had her a bit concerned? They didn't matter. She grew, & continues to grow, in ways that she never imagined when she decided to take on the opportunity.  It's really been quite a pleasant surprise.

My point?  "If" you (or anyone else reading) are limiting your scope of Nuts thinking that only the bigger brighter shinier productions are going to be worth your time & effort... perhaps think again.  All performance opportunities are good performance opportunities. And sometimes they can really surprise you :-)              

I couldn't agree with you more! Bigger is not always better.

There are plenty of Nut options around. She's done Moscow Ballet's version three times, but this year it is the same weekend as her own studio's Nut performances.

Her home studio has its own semi-professional (??) company attached to it, and they put on a Nut for 6 performances in mid-December. DD is already performing in that. This one takes place at the Detroit Opera House the weekend after Thanksgiving and we've always been in Florida during that time. She thought it might be fun to finally try out for it. However, the company that performed it for many years was BalletMet. This is the first year Cincinnati Ballet is the company performing it. From what friends have told me, these are very different versions.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.