Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone ever been told by the judges that dance is in the wrong category?  I know we have had a contemporary number that had strong musical theater elements before.  I definitely have seen musical theater that seemed more like straight jazz.  Lots of contemporary could be lyrical.  Has anyone been dinged for entering in the "wrong" category?  I am specifically thinking of a solo we saw that was contemporary the first time we saw it and then jazz another time - I don't think it necessarily fit either category clearly. 
mookiel

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I have not had it happen personally but I’ve seen it happen. Last year we saw a group dance that was entered as ballet but they used props and it was not at all a typical ballet dance. The judges moved it to the open category and it scored pretty well there. I don’t think it would have scored very high for a ballet routine.
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
The only time we've seen things moved is when there's a rule violation (a dance that has too many acrobatic tricks for jazz is moved to open, for example).  Last summer at Nationals my daughter's contemporary dance was moved to acro for this reason (even though it didn't really exceed the number of tricks for contemporary).  There was no notification - they just moved it and announced it at awards as if she had been in that category all along.  She was first in Acro.  Would have been about 7th in Contemporary.  I felt a little sorry for the second place acro girl.

Rebelina

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
A couple of years ago my daughter did a musical theater solo. The song was from a somewhat obscure musical and not well known. I had never seen it at a competition before. It was a slower musical theater song and not very upbeat. At one comp a judge said on the critique that it should have been entered as lyrical and lip syncing does not make it a musical theater number. That judge did score her lower but she still placed well and it gave us a good laugh.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelina
A couple of years ago my daughter did a musical theater solo. The song was from a somewhat obscure musical and not well known. I had never seen it at a competition before. It was a slower musical theater song and not very upbeat. At one comp a judge said on the critique that it should have been entered as lyrical and lip syncing does not make it a musical theater number. That judge did score her lower but she still placed well and it gave us a good laugh.

It has always been my understanding that the musical theater category is for musical theater style of dance.... that the song itself isn't the deciding factor.  So it's very possible that at that particular competition your dd's number didn't really fit the criteria.  It can get rather complicated, I know.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Up here MT is classified as:  A routine that combines Broadway, movie musical song and/or spoken dialogue and dance. It must portray the feeling of the lyrics and music through the use of any form of dance. Lip-Synching is permitted.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Ash did both a pointe and a contemporary solo lat year.  Here contemporary solo was very much that.  Her pointe solo was a contemporary pointe.  It had too many contemporary elements to be categorized as pointe, and she already had a definitely contemporary solo.  So she entered the pointe solo into open.  Even at the comp where she made the last minute decision to dance barefoot due to stage conditions.

Sometimes determining the category is a bit complex.  Personally I find the lines between lyrical and contemporary and modern to be quite blurred in the comp world!
AusDM

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Yes a few times.  

We entered my daughter's student choreography into a contemporary to be told it should have been in lyrical, and a fellow student has had hers moved from contemporary into lyrical also (even though the music has no lyrics!).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.