Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
NOT a good thing for a dancer.  My DD14 had Nuvo in Boston this past weekend.  What a mess.  She missed a lot of the classes, was in pain all weekend.  Had to perform in a group routine Saturday night, which she pulled through and did fine, but ... she didn't get much out of the convention as she spent time stretching, icing, etc. 

She currently goes to PT and they are working on the issue.  I just wanted to know if anyone else has a dancer that suffers with this and has any advice to offer. 

Obviously she'll have plenty of time to rest once the season is over, but for her that isn't until summer dance finishes in August.  [frown] and our official comp season starts in a couple weeks with multiple practices until then. 

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 

So painful! I know because I had it myself. Ironically (or not), it happened AFTER I stopped dancing in adult ballet classes and after I dropped my gym membership. It is typically an overuse injury and I was not using or overusing! LOL

My PT was working on an additional certification in dance PT and had danced herself. A few things she explained may help your dd. One is that it often happens in dancers from an imbalanced alignment. Her teachers should be watching her alignment when she does dance like a hawk! She needs to make sure she is not sitting in her hip (either one) and that she is pulled nicely when she does just about anything but especially things like grand battement and extensions. The other, and I know this was my issue, is that people who end up with this often have tight IT bands. In my case, I am sure that my decrease in exercise resulted in my IT bands getting tight again. They were very tight when I first went back to dance as an adult and it was something I had to work hard on. 

My PT did this deep tissue friction rub thing (not sure of the proper name) that really opened my hip. I was lying on the table on my good side, with the leg stretched out and hanging down while she worked the spot. She suggested that I teach my dd or dh to do it, so perhaps this or something similar is something your dd's PT can teach you to do. I felt like I could do anything after that! 

kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I'll second Tendumom's wise advice on the IT band.  DD (now)15 had bursitis in her hip when she was 13. It still bothers her to this day, but doesn't hamper her dancing too much.  After months of physio, ice, rest, stretching, we finally got to someone who focused on her IT band via deep tissue massage.  DD said it was horribly painful but "felt good" afterward.  She said her "knees" even felt different after the massage, and her chronic achilles tendinitis also seemed to hurt just a a bit less.  Good luck!  
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I second the ladies above! Such a painful thing to deal with! Good luck to her in PT!
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

So painful! I know because I had it myself. Ironically (or not), it happened AFTER I stopped dancing in adult ballet classes and after I dropped my gym membership. It is typically an overuse injury and I was not using or overusing! LOL

My PT was working on an additional certification in dance PT and had danced herself. A few things she explained may help your dd. One is that it often happens in dancers from an imbalanced alignment. Her teachers should be watching her alignment when she does dance like a hawk! She needs to make sure she is not sitting in her hip (either one) and that she is pulled nicely when she does just about anything but especially things like grand battement and extensions. The other, and I know this was my issue, is that people who end up with this often have tight IT bands. In my case, I am sure that my decrease in exercise resulted in my IT bands getting tight again. They were very tight when I first went back to dance as an adult and it was something I had to work hard on. 

My PT did this deep tissue friction rub thing (not sure of the proper name) that really opened my hip. I was lying on the table on my good side, with the leg stretched out and hanging down while she worked the spot. She suggested that I teach my dd or dh to do it, so perhaps this or something similar is something your dd's PT can teach you to do. I felt like I could do anything after that! 

Thank you ... yes!  She too has a very tight IT band and they have been working on stretching that. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Remembering a bit more... 

Shoes. When she is not dancing, she needs to be wearing good shoes. Flip flops are completely out (and should be for any dancer) as are any shoes without support. No Uggs or similar boots without support. 

Sitting. With this type of bursitis (the formal name is greater trochanteric bursitis), it's best to sit with the legs hanging. It's like a little free traction to help open the hip. This is as opposed to sitting with the feet flat on the floor. Ideally, no crossing the legs either (a very bad habit for me, I have trouble resisting). 

Standing. Same as with dance, avoid sitting in either hip when standing around. Think about pulling up, just like in ballet class. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.