Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
New2Dance2010

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Just wondering if I am the only one who cannot for the life of me use one? My DD has VERY long, thick hair and when I try to use one I make a mess. I have tried rolling it and also tried putting pony thru then braiding or wrapping around, but there is just too much hair and it doesn't look sharp. Even purchased a huge donut bun maker, that didn't even turn out well. Just frustrated as these look pretty and I really want her to use one. Thank goodness none of her dances have called for use of one! Ugh
3girls

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I have a really hard time with it too, I use the hairagami on my DD, much easier for us.
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
And here I thought I was the only one!

Once I braid the pony and wrap around the bun, it sits high with the braid which looks kind of weird. Rolling is even worse because I can't seem to roll it tight enough to make it neat.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My DD has very fine hair so it's a godsend for us but I can see where it would be difficult to use on a girl with very thick hair.
brizziemum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
What I've done when my dd's hair is long is to braid half the pony tail and pin it around in place then use it's structure like a bun donut to wrap the rest of the hair around. I find with longer hair the tail left after using the donut makes it look too detached and gives it too much bounce - meaning multiple pins are needed and it isn't great for an energetic dance.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We have had good luck with a Hot Buns tool instead of a donut.  That way you can make your pony, and start at the ends, rolling up all the hair before attaching the ends of the form with a snap.  Then to keep it neat I always recommend a Bunheads hair net over the top.  

Here is a video of how to use the Hot Buns form.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My dancer has thick, slightly wavy hair as well!  I hate those donut forms for the exact reasons you stated!  And out studio used those the last 2 years (not this year fortunately).  We eventually gave up and just pinned a regular bun securely in the same position as the "donut bun" on others.  I would even wrap the bun around a tube of lipstick or chapstick then remove it to get the "donut" effect.  You could not tell the difference from stage!

Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
DD used to have to use those for some of her dances, but she did her hair herself. She didn't have a problem with them, but while dd's hair is very long, it isn't very thick.
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Same!!! My daughters hair is super long and thick! When I make a pony tail for me I can wrap the elastic three or even four times for her I sometimes snap the elastic on the second wrap! I hate the sock/donut bun. It's a nightmare.
Celc9

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I'm not a fan either. My DD has long thick hair and it just never looks right. The SO loves them however. My DD only has one dance requiring a bun this year so I'm going to leave the donut out and hope the SO doesn't notice. It's a duet with the SO's DD so we'll see if it flys at dress rehearsal.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I don't know, to me the only point of the bun donut is for those who don't have enough hair to do a good full bun with just hair. Once they have enough hair to make a nice big smooth bun, the donut is more trouble than it's worth. Still use one on YDD, because of thin, fine hair, but ODD's thicker wavy hair doesn't need it.
Daniella621

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
The hot bun is the only one I can do! My daughter has long thick hair too. I love the hot bun and have used it for years.
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
We're required to use one since they need to have rolled buns, not coiled or braided.  It took forever for me to learn how to use it; my daughter has long fine hair.  A couple of us asked the teacher to do it to one of the girls one day slowly so we could watch and it finally clicked (along with tons of practice while my daughter sat in front of the tv).  Now I'm waiting for her to learn how to do it herself so I can be released from hair duty.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Start with the hair soaking wet.  Do a pony, make sure the elastic(s) is very snug and put it through the donut hole.  Split the hair apart, covering the donut and comb it out to how you want it.  Next step is important.  Put another elastic around the whole thing (it'll have to be a fairly large elastic), tucking it under the donut.  This effectively gives you a "lip" under which you'll tuck all that excess hair.  Go around in a circle just tucking all that stuff up under the elastic and yeah, it'll look messy as hell.  You're not done yet so relax.  What I do is put DD in a chair and I walk around her, tucking it up.  It's going to look like it's 6' in the air when you're done ...but you're not done.  Get ballet pins (the U shaped hard ones).  I use about a dozen of the 3" ones on DD's long hair.  Secure the donut and all that hair that's now under it with four pins, anchored in quarters (so noon, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm).  Then fill in the empty space between them with more pins.  With each pin the donut presses down more and more toward the head until eventually it's very tight and very neat.  We've done this at 6am and the bun was still firmly in place at 9pm.  And when we take the bun out, the hair is still damp underneath!

Works for us.  Worth a test?
mic123

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I also start with wet hair and apply gel (except on ponytail part).  After fanning the ponytail over the donut and securing with the second elastic, I take sections of the hair, and wrap them around the bun, twisting as I go and securing with multiple bobby pins.  I finish with hairspray.  It always looks neat with no fly-aways, and we have never had to use a hairnet. 
The key (for us) is starting with wet hair.
DanceForFun

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I feel so much better reading these and knowing I am not the only one. lol  Both my DDs have very long thick hair (think Duggar sisters) and it is such a pain. I have tried many donut buns, rats, Hot Buns etc. - pretty much everything.  Thankfully they are teens now and do there own. We also have a wonderful studio assistant who comes to the comps and helps out with hair and make-up as needed so that is a Godsend.

Happy Hairstyling everyone!
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I stink at sock buns too! I found the hot buns tool to work much better for me personally. Still not my favorite thing, and I'm glad we aren't required to use them anymore for competitions (company changed the hairstyle last year, thank goodness!)!
I can whip up a perfect cinnamon roll ballet bun in 5min but that stupid "sock bun" always gave me trouble. I have one DD with very long, fine hair and one with super thick hair.
New2Dance2010

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I,am going to try all these, some similar to how I have tried. Luv reading all the posts. I really like your like your idea of two braids primamama. I,have tried her bending over distributing the hair around donut then braiding, but too much hair and made it look silly, not clean as I wanted. I tried hot buns on my hair, also thick, was nice but to take out - what a hot mess!
New2Dance2010

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Defiantly kmpmom!
gingerbrown12872

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
Start with the hair soaking wet.  Do a pony, make sure the elastic(s) is very snug and put it through the donut hole.  Split the hair apart, covering the donut and comb it out to how you want it.  Next step is important.  Put another elastic around the whole thing (it'll have to be a fairly large elastic), tucking it under the donut.  This effectively gives you a "lip" under which you'll tuck all that excess hair.  Go around in a circle just tucking all that stuff up under the elastic and yeah, it'll look messy as hell.  You're not done yet so relax.  What I do is put DD in a chair and I walk around her, tucking it up.  It's going to look like it's 6' in the air when you're done ...but you're not done.  Get ballet pins (the U shaped hard ones).  I use about a dozen of the 3" ones on DD's long hair.  Secure the donut and all that hair that's now under it with four pins, anchored in quarters (so noon, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm).  Then fill in the empty space between them with more pins.  With each pin the donut presses down more and more toward the head until eventually it's very tight and very neat.  We've done this at 6am and the bun was still firmly in place at 9pm.  And when we take the bun out, the hair is still damp underneath!

Works for us.  Worth a test?

That's pretty much exactly what I do.  My dd has really thick hair & it's layered.  Before she got it layered, the Hot Bun was a great option, but with the layers, not so much.  Getting the hair really wet & then using the 2nd elastic works for us.  Using the large hairpins (the u-shaped pins) is also a must on thick hair, as is the hair net at the end. [smile]
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
The key is to not pull the hair too tight around or it lifts the bun up. We make the pony, put the donut over all of the hair, divide the hair evenly and add a not too tight skinny elastic the holds the spread hair in place. Then start twisting the hair on the top right, around clockwise, twisting toward the donut. Once you reach the beginning keep twisting and wrapping slightly under the first pass until you reach the end and tuck under. I then secure with spinners pins. They secure so much faster and stay better than Bobby pins and are just as easy to remove, plus you only need 3 or 4.

Eta: my girl has thick fine hair that is about mid back length. We use a medium size donut. We can't start with wet hair because it is so thick even damp doesn't comb into the pony easily and once in the pony tends to clump because it's fine.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.