Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My DD7 broke her right wrist a week ago, fractured both bones though clean breaks, no surgery needed. She's now sporting a lovely cast. She's of course in the middle of learning her comp dances. Ballet I'm not worried about but her jazz group piece I noticed last week has some floor work, one move where they go down on their hands flat in front then legs quickly into splits. That got me thinking of her wrist and what she will be able to do when the cast comes off and when comp season starts - her first comp isn't until March but she has a company showcase mid-winter. Her Dr. said she'd be in the cast for 6 weeks so that takes us up to December. For those that have had dancers who have had broken wrists, what was your experience with recovery? How soon could they get back to doing moves where pressure on the wrist is needed? I haven't spoken with her DT yet about any modifications but her DT is fully aware of the injury, I've been keeping our SO in the loop. This is her first year competing and it just figures this would happen. [frown]
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter!  I can't add any advice as my DD has not broken a wrist but we've had several in our studio (including one of our top dancers who also has two broken bones in her hand at the moment).  It's not an uncommon thing and all of our dancers have been able to practice a modified version until they were able to work on the floor without discomfort.  Get your SO and the DT on board so you all know that getting her 100% healed is the priority.  Wishing you all the best.
ladybug733

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My DD13 broke her wrist this summer at the beginning of July.  She wore a cast above the elbow for 4 weeks and was supposed to take it easy for 2 weeks.  After the next X-ray they said it was healing slowly but she still had no restrictions.  She was putting pressure on it and doing light tumbling (walkovers) by September.  I hope your daughter's recovery goes well, its hard to watch them not able to participate in what they love!
Winterjoy

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Another broken wrist earlier this year for my DD9 as well, and our experience was similar to that of ladybug733. Although if the doc had his way there would have been no dancing for 6 weeks at all! We took her out of tennis and school sports, but we were in the middle of comp season and just soldiered on with her wrist in a cast (no floor work requiring that arm, fortunately!). Can't believe how though and committed our little dancers are when it comes to their teams! Here's to a speedy and full recovery for your DD!
mandyx3

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
my son broke his wrist a few years ago... he was in a cast for 6 weeks and for an entire year after his wrist would occasionally ache. No idea how that would have translated into dancing and floor work but it did take him a while to build up the strength again.
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks! We definitely plan on keeping her away from things that could cause reinjury this winter (i.e., skating - she's not the best skater and falls often) and she's out of gym for awhile. Having never broken a bone before I wasn't sure what kind of strength she can be expected to have and how fragile the newly healed bones will be once the cast comes off and in the months following. She's using her fingers on that hand so she's keeping them mobile - she wouldn't move her thumb earlier this week but was this morning. ladybug733, that was what I was hoping to hear, that the strength will come back. She had her choreo classes last night and as we're leaving the studio she was jumping up and down and saying "I'm so glad I joined the company, I love it!!".
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I think it really depends on the injury itself and the healing process of the child.  Listen to your physicians!

As the mother of three boys and one DD, I've seen my fair share of broken bones in this house.  I can tell you that they've all been slightly different in their length of time to heal and when said child could return to normal activities.

My middle son's most significant break was when he was seven, a displaced fracture of both the ulna and radius.  He was in a cast over his elbow for 12 weeks, a short cast for about 2 more weeks and then he couldn't resume normal activities for 8 or so weeks after his final cast was removed.  In contrast, my youngest son had a broken arm (radius only) that was only in a cast about 6 weeks and he was given the all clear about two weeks after his final cast was off. 

Just listen to your doctor.  They will be best to guide you through the recovery process! 
emcandance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My son broke both of the bones in his wrist during wrestling season.  He had a cast on for 3 weeks and he still worked out with his team.  After 3 weeks, he went in a splint and then he started to wrestle full force. I break is easier to recover from than a sprain or a contusion on the bone. Your dancer should be ready to go by comp season.  Just make sure you get the okay from your doctor.
Best wishes.
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
So sorry this happened to her! Hopefully she will heal quickly. Good luck to both of you.
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Just wanted to come back on this. My DD had the cast taken off after about 5 weeks, wore a splint just for support while at school for a week or so and was back to normal activity come January. Her comp season is going great and she has no lingering issues with the wrist. She even started gymnastics a few weeks ago. I am just glad it was a nice clean break and healed so well.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Great news!  [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: