Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What kind of dance is being shown by the Dancing Dolls in Bring it?  It obviously isn't a standard competitive dance circuit.  It's got to be called something else.  Is it regional?  I've never seen in in the Midwest.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I think if you search posts about Dancing Dolls there was some discussion before about what type of dance it was.  I seem to remember that is definitely not what we are used to.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
From wikipedia:

"The team competes in hip-hop majorette competitions,[5] with their main focus being on the Stand Battle (a routine where two teams face each other, and alternate "stands" (routines) which are called by the captain depending on what stand the other team performs)."
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745
From wikipedia:

"The team competes in hip-hop majorette competitions,[5] with their main focus being on the Stand Battle (a routine where two teams face each other, and alternate "stands" (routines) which are called by the captain depending on what stand the other team performs)."

Okay yeah...I can youtube majorette stand battle and see some teams.  Thanks.  Majorettes?  Well huh.  That term has changed meaning since my youth.  I just remember flaming batons.
dancedivasx2

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I watched for the 1st time last week and I was getting anxious over their loose feet and bent knees . I kept switching back the channel.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Yes ....this is not the majorette that ultimately comes to mind for some of us.  But this is catching on all over it seems.  A studio opened up in our area last year that competes all over in these battles.   They seemed to do extremely well and DD16 was considering it.  I did what I could to discourage it.  We just don't have the time to add it on , but more than that for me , I wouldn't see it as being technically beneficial.  And there seems to be an intense amount of travel for these teams. 
armydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
It's an HBCU majorette style dance. Look up schools like Ebony Fire of Hampton State, the Prancing J-Settes of Jackson State, the Lovely Lavish Ladies of MTSU and the Stingettes of Alabama State and you will get an idea of what these girls are training for. Traditional, in the black community, dance is more movement, lots of hips and behind movement and not a lot of technique, so those who couldn't afford 12+ years of training, but had tons of rhythm and could just move their bodies, could start at 10,11,15 even and still have a shot at college scholarships. Now, there are some schools, such as YCDT who have both the traditional dance training and the HBCU training, but most are like the Dancing Dolls.
mahoganyDANCE

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves
Yes ....this is not the majorette that ultimately comes to mind for some of us.  But this is catching on all over it seems.  A studio opened up in our area last year that competes all over in these battles.   They seemed to do extremely well and DD16 was considering it.  I did what I could to discourage it.  We just don't have the time to add it on , but more than that for me , I wouldn't see it as being technically beneficial.  And there seems to be an intense amount of travel for these teams. 

I just wanted to say that depends on where you are located. Before the show I had NEVER heard of the Dancing Dolls. They only started to coming to Memphis after the show began filming, I'm not sure how they received the shows offer. 
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My DD's liked the show for awhile, but it jumped the shark for them when some of the dancers started talking about getting into Julliard. More power to them for loving this style of dance and succeeding in it, but Julliard material it is not. [smile] 
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I haven't really liked the show this season at all.  It's much too fake now.  I used to think it was much more authentic than Dance Moms and I loved Miss D.  Now I feel they've ruined the show with too much drummed up fake drama. 
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmom
My DD's liked the show for awhile, but it jumped the shark for them when some of the dancers started talking about getting into Julliard. More power to them for loving this style of dance and succeeding in it, but Julliard material it is not. [smile] 

Didn't some of the girls get scholarships last year? I can't remember what college it was, but now they act like it never happened. Why are the older ones still there?
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rb
Quote:

Didn't some of the girls get scholarships last year? I can't remember what college it was, but now they act like it never happened. Why are the older ones still there?

These episodes were filmed in late Spring/early summer The one who got the big scholarship was Sunjai and I think she is going. Idk for sure. Kayla is going to college locally and working as an assistant to Mrs D. I'm a fan of these women. I've also noticed the girls seem to have improved a lot since the show started. Like everything else in life, once you shine a spotlight on something, it changes. I still have an appreciation for the people on the show though
bopmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I still like the show.  Even the fake momma drama is funny.  I love Ms D and her positive talks before and after they dance.  
Some of the guest coaches seem to be hamming it up wayyyy to much for the cameras though.  Now I see the YCDT superstars are getting their own show so I guess the crazy coach thing works.

armydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
Quote:
Quote:

These episodes were filmed in late Spring/early summer The one who got the big scholarship was Sunjai and I think she is going. Idk for sure. Kayla is going to college locally and working as an assistant to Mrs D. I'm a fan of these women. I've also noticed the girls seem to have improved a lot since the show started. Like everything else in life, once you shine a spotlight on something, it changes. I still have an appreciation for the people on the show though

Sunjai is definitely going. DD follows her on Instagram and says according to the photos she's been settled in for 3-4 weeks now. I don't know the name, but I know it's in Philadelphia. Tina (Kayla's mom) said that Kayla didn't apply to any colleges or universities, but now it looks like she's attending a community college, for dance,near home and coaching & traveling with Miss D & the dolls.
LoveJillyLilly2Dance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I love this show. I love the different style of dance that they have and how there are all different kinds of girls on the team. I just binge watched it to get caught up on Sunday.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by armydancemom
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sunjai is definitely going. DD follows her on Instagram and says according to the photos she's been settled in for 3-4 weeks now. I don't know the name, but I know it's in Philadelphia. Tina (Kayla's mom) said that Kayla didn't apply to any colleges or universities, but now it looks like she's attending a community college, for dance,near home and coaching & traveling with Miss D & the dolls.

Was it LaSalle?
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
LaSalle, yes, I believe you're right!
armydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Was it LaSalle?

According to Sunjai dad's Instagram, it's Desales university. I don't know where Desales is located at, so I may have gave out the wrong location.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Was it LaSalle?

According to Sunjai dad's Instagram, it's Desales university. I don't know where Desales is located at, so I may have gave out the wrong location.

That's it! I saw the episode where the girls auditioned but couldn't remember the name.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.