Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Motherhem

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all,

My DD 16, auditioned recently at a regional dance festival. She attended the 14- HS junior audition but was offered a college scholarship to Brenau University. She graduates in 2019. So I guess it is time to start the search.

I realize Brenau may not be ione of the major college programs but a scholarship is a scholarship and therefore must be considered.

Has anyone here heard of Brenau or have any experience with them?
Thank you!
karenc

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Both the artistic director and one of most highly thought of contemporary teachers at my daughter's ballet school are graduates of Brenau.  One has a degree in Dance Pedagogy with a concentration in Ballet and the other in Dance Pedagogy with a concentration in contemporary.  The school is very very good at teaching dancers to become excellent dance teachers as well as dancers themselves. 

Given the location of the school, I am not sure what professional performance opportunities would be presented (as opposed to Kennesaw's dance program in Atlanta, for example) during you're daughter's tenure there or if there's ample opportunity for partnering.  Brenau is an all girls' college.  Boys can attend some classes during the day but I'm unaware if there are any in the dance program.  I don't believe so.  

I would be glad to pass along any questions you have or even pm you the AD's e-mail address.  She'd be glad to talk to you.

k

Motherhem

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
karenc you hit on every question that I have been wondering about and the very things that will be decision factors. Currently at dd’s studio she is in the performing company and she has lots of opportunities to perform. She would be disappointed to have few opportunities after the initial ‘get to know you period’ at a college. And the website wasn’t clear about boys being in the dance program. There are no boys at her current studio and she really wants to have pas opportunities in college.
There is a tour and audition there this fall. We will still plan on going and ask more questions at that time. Like I said all scholarships must be considered so I would love the PM if the AD doesn’t mind being contacted for specifics. Thank you!!
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I personally haven't heard of it but it appears that they only offer a BA. It also appears that they are non audition (auditions are for placement and scholarships only).
Motherhem

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Yep. This offer and this website has spurred plenty of conversation about what she wants out of college. She is leaning towards a conservatory and wants a BFA. So that is what I am going to start researching.

I didn’t notice that about the auditions. That is a good point.

Well we won’t take them off the list until we get further in the process and they are close enough for a campus visit. But as I find out more about other programs, this one falls down the list.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.