Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Cloudshine

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Can anyone recommend a good place to get dance gear for little boys online?  My DS is starting tap this week, and I'm not having luck finding anything local.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Does the teacher have specific recommendations for what he/she wants him to wear? My DS taps, and he has usually worn jazz pants and a t-shirt or regular shorts and a t-shirt. But I know some studios have specific requirements.

When we have bought him jazz pants (it's been a while!), I believe they were just unisex ones from one of the online dance stores - Discount Dance Supply or Dancewear Solutions, probably.
mackiecat

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
In the girls department of Walmart, they usually have stretchy black pants. The have belt hoops and look boyish enough . They used to be around $8
mom2dancinboyngirl

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudshine
Can anyone recommend a good place to get dance gear for little boys online?  My DS is starting tap this week, and I'm not having luck finding anything local.

I'd send him in something from his closet until you can find out what the norm is for other boys in his class. My DS usually just wears gym shorts and a Nike dry fit t-shirt. For ballet the requirements are a little more stringent (a proper white dance shirt and dance pants or shorts), but for tap its pretty relaxed. Basically he pretty much just needs to be able to move and the teacher needs to be able to see his feet.
LSunshine14

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #5 
There's a site... boysdancetoo that has great stuff. My Ds does ballet... it has tights from little boys on up (which is always Hard to find). Orders are quick and they write a handwritten note!
myasmum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSunshine14
There's a site... boysdancetoo that has great stuff. My Ds does ballet... it has tights from little boys on up (which is always Hard to find). Orders are quick and they write a handwritten note!

Agree 100% I have ordered here couple times (for my 2 sons 13 & 6yrs old) and LOVE the products, price,shipping, customer service. Highly recommend. I'm in Canada and very very hard to find things are most are men's or if there are boys the prices are high so for me even with the exchange rate and shipping most times its cheaper to order there. Love the site
4boysmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Some of the places that I shop for DS include Boys Dance Too, Nappy Tabs (sweats), American Apparel (he likes the tanks), and really any of the big sports stores. I think a simple pair of shorts and a plain t-shirt would suffice to start with.
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My DS wears athletic shorts and dry fit shirts. His shorts are technically smaller than he needs so they aren't too baggy. That is ok with his studio. 

When my son started competition, he wore jeans and a sweatshirt. He was 6. Bless those teachers for allowing him to do that.
4boysmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmom
My DS wears athletic shorts and dry fit shirts. His shorts are technically smaller than he needs so they aren't too baggy. That is ok with his studio. 

When my son started competition, he wore jeans and a sweatshirt. He was 6. Bless those teachers for allowing him to do that.

I am very grateful for DS's ballet teachers who allow him to simply wear shorts and a tight fitting shirt. He does not aspire to be a ballet dancer, and he hates wearing tights. He knows he has to wear the tights for exams, so he puts up with them a few times a year. Our ballet teacher is just happy that he takes 5 +hours of ballet every week.
mbpiedra

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
DS9 has been dancing since 3.5.  For tap he wears black sophie shorts or similar.  He always wears sleaveless under armour type shirts from Target or Walmart for everything.  Lyrical, tap, jazz, etc..  He wears colors for those and white for ballet.

For ballet he wears a ballet belt, footed boys black Body Wrapper tights which you can get online or in a local store and a white sleeveless Under Armour type of shirt.  This really depends on the ballet teacher as they often have preferences on attire.  He takes ballet at his regular studio which is very strict on attire and a local conservatory which is much less strict.

I recommend starting him in a full seated belt and switching to the seatless one before he gets to old and will argue with you ;-)
oldsailor

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
DS14 (as well as the other boys) wear Jazz pants and white T shirt to class.  Dance belts or athletic supporter as they mature.  I would ask the teachers what they want.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
When DS was little and just starting out he wore bike shorts and tank tops.  As he got older/more serious he started wearing tights for ballet and of course the dreaded dance belt.  Most of his dance clothes were actually girls stuff but he didn't care.
mumofmany

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My son wears womens yoga pants, the skinny leg ones. I get them at Walmart for $7.
Momandmore

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
My son wears adidas track pants and a t-shirt, sometimes a dry fit, for everything including ballet (the ones he wears to ballet have a more fitted leg than the traditional striped ones).

changole

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Black compression pants (like for football) work really for my DS, as they have that fit look that goes well for standard ballet/studio dress code, and they make him feel sporty. As others have mentioned, boysdancetoo.com is a fun site. DS has a bag and gets their socks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: