Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
gingercrew

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My son that is 10 auditioned for his company's Nutcracker this past weekend. I have never seen their version of the Nutcracker so not sure what to expect. He was a mouse in Moscow Ballet Nutcracker last year. He is hoping for Party boy. Him and the other two boys were taught a section from the party scene and performed it and was told he did a good job. So I guess we can assume he will be doing that? 

I am going a bit crazy waiting to hear back what he got ha! 

I am also wondering if he could be given the role of Fritz. His dancing is average for his age. I am not sure how much their Fritz dances. 

Mostly I just really hope he gets a part where he actually gets to dance and not just kinda walk around the stage pantomiming, 

Does anyone have experience with boys in the Nutcracker at that age? In Moscow Ballet Nutcracker as a mouse his part was not huge but he did have  a couple 8 counts that was real dancing. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 

Fritz really varies greatly as far as dancing. Usually, the kids, both boys and girls, in the party scene do not dance a great deal. It's usually a lot of acting with some dancing as a group, typically it's a few counts of 8 of the boys, the girls and then both together.  Dd always loved being in the party scene. It a chance to act and take on a character. Her director when she was that age would help them all develop characters which made the party scene much more fun to watch (there was the family with too many kids who all tended to be wild, the snobby family, the family with a mischievous trouble maker son, the nervous family, etc).  On the plus side, it's also MUCH more stage time than any part in the second act. Most productions are thrilled to have real boys in that scene instead of just girls in either wigs or buns. Our old youth company would make it work with whatever age boys were available. It was exciting when we finally got to the point where only boys played boys!

It all varies so much by production. I've seen 10 yo boys as Fritz, Party Boys, Small Soldiers (with the Big Soldiers being girls en pointe), Mice, Rats, Chinese, Mother Ginger kids aka Polochinelles, Russian, etc. 

gingercrew

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
thanks Tendumom. That was very informative.  They don't have a huge number of dancers so its possible he might even have more than one part. I am just anxious to find out and excited!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Fwiw in most of the Nutcrackers not associated with a notable professional production that I have seen the party children have had quite a bit of dancing. Have you youtubed this production to see if there are any snippets available for view?  Give it a try if you haven't.  The specifics of each role can really vary from production to production.
gingercrew

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Well they posted the part list today. My son got Nutcracker Prince for the Saturday shows and party boy and soldier for the Sunday show. [smile]  I am super happy. I was not expecting so many parts and definitely not expecting Nutcracker Prince for him!!!  
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Yay!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.