Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Some of the big conventions have bonus classes. Looks like they are usually on Friday nights before the official convention begins. Anyone have children who attend these extra classes? Are they just like regular convention classes?
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
DD has been to many of them. There is generally a greater mix of ages and less of a crowd, especially since they are often held while solos are competing. They usually let parents In without checking for wristbands, I have no desire to pay for an observer band and watch for an extended period, but it's fun to get a little sneak peak of the classes now and then. Dancers don't wear numbers and it's generally a nice, relaxed atmosphere to kick off the weekend.
Chickenlady

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Agree with what dancingpeanut said.

We usually try to attend when they don't conflict with competition. In our experience, the Friday class combo is usually the same as the combo the teacher later teaches during the actual convention class. Those that attend the Friday class definitely have a leg up on the choreo when that's the case. We also noticed that many dancers did wear their numbers during the Friday night classes, even though not required.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
DD always goes to the Friday night classes if she's not competing at that time. At BTF, the norm is that the choreographers do NOT teach the same combo that they teach the rest of the weekend. They tend to be pretty crowded as the big teen ballroom is typically in use for comp and ages are all over the place. Lots of little kids even for the advanced classes. DD never wears her number. The choreographers aren't writing numbers down so it's not necessary. Also, at BTF they never check wristbands for kids or parents on Fridays.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I guessed. Dd is excited so wel will plan to go. I'll watch on Friday and see what she thinks about whether she wants me to stick around the rest of the weekend.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD always attended Friday night classes when there was no conflict with solos.  I agree with dancermom128 that, in our experience, it has always been a different combo than the regular weekend classes.  One year Nick and Teddy did a Shaping Sound repertoire class for the Friday night session at Jump.  That was pretty cool.  At NYCDA they bring in special guest choreographers for their Friday night session, and the choreographers actually pick students to award a special Friday Night Session scholarship to for a free workshop.  DD has taken classes from amazing people from companies like Complexions to Broadway shows like Hamilton at these workshops.  Highly, highly, highly recommended.  And, like others have said, they typically allow observers without having to purchase and observer pass.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
DD has gone to some, but opt to stay and watch/support her teammates if it conflicts with anyone performing (which ended up being the case for almost all the large conventions/competitions last year). The studio encourages them to go if they can, but most of them don't.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My dd goes if they don't conflict with solo competition. We mostly do BTF events and they are usually good classes with good combos! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.