Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Mumof4

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. My girls are 9 and 6. Miss 6 is in her first year of competition dance, last year she had a little solo but this year shes in two troupes, a duo and has 3 solos. My biggest question at the moment is about her dance load.
I have told her that as long as she is committed I will do my best to let her dance.
I am a single mum of 4 and work part time so I have a huge schedule on my hands as it is.
Shes at the studio 3 days a week and weekends. I just can't quite wrap my head around all that she is learning! How can a 6yr old be acing school and learning all these new routines at once haha. Does it slow down after this year? She seems to take it all in her stride but tonight I am a hot mess.
Anyway, this forum seems to be giving me hope, look at all the older dancers who have amazing mums making it happen.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome!

Does it slow down?  DD14 is at the studio 20+ hours/week. 
Mumof4

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Haha 20+ hours 😅 my goodness that is amazing. I never would have thought that these hours are what goes into it.
Definitely a bit shell shocked.
I mean her first year on the team I guess mookiel. She competed her little solo last year at the very last comp for the year. It was sort of a trial run, we didn't have much information about it and it was definitely not as involved as this year has been already.

I'm so happy she has found something she loves and I do love watching her and her sister and all of the other dancers! It's not something I had really been exposed to until this year.
amandafarris03

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
wow that is a lot for a 6 year old.  we are both working parents with a ds7 that has his own sports schedule.  usually dh is doing sports with ds and I'm doing dance with dd13.  I don't want her to get burned out so she does her normal recital dances and then 3 comp group dances.  so at the recital with finale she is doing about 12 dances. I don't want her school work to suffer so we keep it at that.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
For our studio 3 days a week is typical for that age. One day core ballet/jazz/tap, the other day ballet and jazz "tech" and a third for rehearsal or electives like acro or hip hop.

Whether it slows down is up to you. At our studio, the minimum widens to be about 4 days in high school, just the hours per day increases as SO thinks it's important to leave time for other activities, though you can end up with 6 days a week if  you take extra tech and electives though you'll likely not be cast in as many dances if that makes sense. There are seniors who do about 10 hours a week and there are seniors who do 30+. Even in DD9's group, the range of dance hours is 5-15 hrs with DD and her friend doing the higher end because they're also in a cirque troupe. I've noticed around sophomore year a lot of girls cut back as they take more AP classes and need the extra study/lab time. It all depends on the kid and the family, though I have no idea how you can support competitive dance as a single mom with 4 kids. What do you do for a living?
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
3 solos at 6? What country do you live in?
Mumof4

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We are in Australia.
I was really worried that she would burn out or that it was too much, over here we can keep routines for 2-3+ years with solos, the dance gets tweaked and changed a bit all the time as they learn new skills. Her little ballet solo is almost completely different to when she first preformed it.

What I do is neither here nor there, last year I was on income support and still managed 2 in dance, both had a large amount of classes and the cost was high then also. I am frugal in other areas and just make it work. I am phlebotomist, so I don't make a huge amount. Part of going back to work was to help with dance fees this year haha. I dont live outside my means in any way shape or form. We have just decided together that if they would like to dance then other parts of our life are a little more limited. We don't eat out or buy take away, we don't spend much on material things, instead they get to dance and have holidays 😊 it works for us.
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Wait what?
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
3 solos for a 6 year old is actually very normal here in Australia. I know of 6 year olds who do 10 or more, our comps are set up quite differently. Competition is also the cheapest part of dance for us. Most competitions are run by not for profit associations, so entry fees are very, very low.

It's also common for kids to start solos before they start their studios competition teams. In the comps we have a 3 years and under solo division and a 4 years and under solos division, there are alsways quite a w kids, while our youngest group divisions tend to be about 6 years and under. It is not uncommon for a child t start solos at 3-4 and then group comp dances at age 5 or so.

It is no surprise that she is acing school! Dance helps kids to do better in school. Dance is unlike most sports and activities as it uses so many cross body movements and so many different types of movements. This type of activities switches the brain on and creates many new pathways. Dance helps with concentration, listening skills, learning ability, memory, organisation and confidence.

Dance is an art, when children study an art it uses more parts of their brain than any other activity this stimulates their creativity, imagination and divergent thinking skills which allows them to access many different types of thinking at once.
Mumof4

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
3 solos for a 6 year old is actually very normal here in Australia. I know of 6 year olds who do 10 or more, our comps are set up quite differently. Competition is also the cheapest part of dance for us. Most competitions are run by not for profit associations, so entry fees are very, very low.

It's also common for kids to start solos before they start their studios competition teams. In the comps we have a 3 years and under solo division and a 4 years and under solos division, there are alsways quite a w kids, while our youngest group divisions tend to be about 6 years and under. It is not uncommon for a child t start solos at 3-4 and then group comp dances at age 5 or so.

It is no surprise that she is acing school! Dance helps kids to do better in school. Dance is unlike most sports and activities as it uses so many cross body movements and so many different types of movements. This type of activities switches the brain on and creates many new pathways. Dance helps with concentration, listening skills, learning ability, memory, organisation and confidence.

Dance is an art, when children study an art it uses more parts of their brain than any other activity this stimulates their creativity, imagination and divergent thinking skills which allows them to access many different types of thinking at once.

I thought 3 was ok for solos, i was just sort of shocked at how quickly it all started up haha.
Dont get me wrong we are loving it, because she loves it.

Yes we found the competition fees reasonable so far. Although our last competition was the second we have attended! It was really eye opening. Our first eistedford we got in and got out. I volunteered at the last one so it was cool to see the other side of everything.

I am glad to hear that it's normal for kids to do well in school while still dancing. I was really worried she would get too tired and start falling behind. You are right though, some really great life skills are taught at dance.
nodrama15

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Wow...that's quite a load for a 6 year old.  At five, my daughter was the youngest member of the comp team and did one group dance.  This year at 6 she has 2 group dances and a duet.  She has 2 hours and 15 minutes of class per week, and her duet practice every few weeks.  She will stay at this amount until she is 8, and then may add a solo and/or one more group dance.  I seriously can't imagine her doing any type of ballet solo, as her technique is still so far from developed.  She has been dancing since the age of 2. 
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
DD7 competed 1 solo, 2 Trios and 2 groups. She has an additiona 5 dances for the recital.
At 7 my Older DD had 4 dances, at 8 5, at 9 7, at 10 9 and now at 11 she has 11 dances. Then another 4 just for recital. I think she's reached her limit. Lol
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: