Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Koopahla

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My dd is a freshman in college pursuing a career in performance & choreography, but not happy with her current program.  She is not getting the technical rigor that she is use to .  I never thought we would be in this position, but here we go again applying and traveling to school that were not on the VERY short list last year.  My dd has looked in to a few more school and wondering if anyone can help me out with the quality of the program and any insider info!  We do not know much about University of the Arts in Philly, CA Institute of the Arts, & New World School of the Arts in Miami.  Any other great schools she should look in to?  She is auditioning at UNC Arts in Winston-Salem (not sure about this one), Marymount Manhattan, & I think Pace is now off of her list.  She doesn't think she will be able to get in as a transfer student.  SUNY Purchase & Point Park are not an option.

Thanks everyone for the info!
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Boston Conservatory at Berklee would be one I would recommend checking out.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
As an outsider to the college game, I have seen a nice amount of choreography in videos from dd's friends at Marymount. Some of them have posted their works as performed by their classmates in public performances. I would definitely look in that direction. 

CA State-Long Beach and U of Ca at Irvine are two other programs to consider look at. Dd's friends currently at both of these are only freshmen which makes it harder to assess the rigor and possibilities. We do know a fabulous choreographer who came out of the UCI progam. He's worked on Bway shows, etc. 
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopahla
My dd is a freshman in college pursuing a career in performance & choreography, but not happy with her current program.  She is not getting the technical rigor that she is use to .  I never thought we would be in this position, but here we go again applying and traveling to school that were not on the VERY short list last year.  My dd has looked in to a few more school and wondering if anyone can help me out with the quality of the program and any insider info!  We do not know much about University of the Arts in Philly, CA Institute of the Arts, & New World School of the Arts in Miami.  Any other great schools she should look in to?  She is auditioning at UNC Arts in Winston-Salem (not sure about this one), Marymount Manhattan, & I think Pace is now off of her list.  She doesn't think she will be able to get in as a transfer student.  SUNY Purchase & Point Park are not an option.

Thanks everyone for the info!

Just want to get clarification on this... she is auditioning at UNC Arts... Marymount and Pace are now off her list.  Or she is auditioning at UNC Arts and Marymount... Pace is now off her list.

The programs are all very different in that the "vibe" of each school is very different.  DD knew where she wanted to be because she liked the vibe... the feel.  Of course she wanted some place with excellent training as the primary factor, but beyond that, her school just felt right to her.  And it turned out to be a perfect fit.  That is what becomes important once they are living there and doing the day to day... aside from the training, does the environment and culture of the school fit with your DD's personality.

I guess my first question would be where your DD is now and what she doesn't like about it?  That would be a good starting point to eliminate programs that may have her feeling the same way if she were to go there.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpeanut
Boston Conservatory at Berklee would be one I would recommend checking out.[/QUOTE

BoCo's deadline for applications was in December.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I know a dancer at UNC, she's very happy from what I can tell.  But of course, that doesn't mean that your dancer will be.  For what it's worth, this dancer came from a studio known for technical discipline.
mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tall
Towson in MD has a strong dance program/dance team. I also hear about Shenandoah as well as VCU in Richmond, VA. There is also Elon. 
Koopahla

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

Just want to get clarification on this... she is auditioning at UNC Arts... Marymount and Pace are now off her list.  Or she is auditioning at UNC Arts and Marymount... Pace is now off her list.

The programs are all very different in that the "vibe" of each school is very different.  DD knew where she wanted to be because she liked the vibe... the feel.  Of course she wanted some place with excellent training as the primary factor, but beyond that, her school just felt right to her.  And it turned out to be a perfect fit.  That is what becomes important once they are living there and doing the day to day... aside from the training, does the environment and culture of the school fit with your DD's personality.

I guess my first question would be where your DD is now and what she doesn't like about it?  That would be a good starting point to eliminate programs that may have her feeling the same way if she were to go there.

My daughter thinks she has finalized her list to UNCSA - Marymount - Boston - Uof A in Phily - New World in Miami:  

So, why is she switching schools ??  It truly comes down tot he quality of the program.  The university itself is a beautiful place, one that I feel comfortable sending my kid to, even though it is 6 hours away!  We are from OH & the south is a bit slower pace for my dd, she still likes it. She has adapted to college life quit well.  She's made friends & great grades, but does not feel like the program is going to help her pursue a successful career in concert dance or choreography.   Her 18 YO dreams are to be the next Martha Graham! [redface])  The program that she did not return to did not have any other conditioning other than tech classes, no yoga, no pilates, no strength, etc.  Ballet was only offered two times a week and was taught by a MA student & ballet was not their strength.  Also, after viewing some of the other students films and performances, we are concerned that the quality of dancer & career expectation is much different than hers.

After visiting a few schools last year, she understands the "vibe" that you feel from a university.  That is why she has taken Point Park off of her list.  One of her former teammates is a sophomore there and enjoys the program, but it just isn't for my kid.

Again, thanks for listening to my rantings!
Trifecta

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My daughter is a Soph BFA at Marymount and is not returning next semester. She is not happy with the program. She had already submitted transfer applications when a professional opportunity came about that was too good to pass up. She will still attend the audition for one school just to keep the door open in the future but as for now her new contract goes through December. I am hoping she will continue in another program that fits her goals in the future. Good luck to your daughter. I hope she finds a good fit.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:

My daughter thinks she has finalized her list to UNCSA - Marymount - Boston - Uof A in Phily - New World in Miami:  

So, why is she switching schools ??  It truly comes down tot he quality of the program.  The university itself is a beautiful place, one that I feel comfortable sending my kid to, even though it is 6 hours away!  We are from OH & the south is a bit slower pace for my dd, she still likes it. She has adapted to college life quit well.  She's made friends & great grades, but does not feel like the program is going to help her pursue a successful career in concert dance or choreography.   Her 18 YO dreams are to be the next Martha Graham! [redface])  The program that she did not return to did not have any other conditioning other than tech classes, no yoga, no pilates, no strength, etc.  Ballet was only offered two times a week and was taught by a MA student & ballet was not their strength.  Also, after viewing some of the other students films and performances, we are concerned that the quality of dancer & career expectation is much different than hers.

After visiting a few schools last year, she understands the "vibe" that you feel from a university.  That is why she has taken Point Park off of her list.  One of her former teammates is a sophomore there and enjoys the program, but it just isn't for my kid.

I would say any college dance program whether it is a BA or BFA program that doesn't require daily ballet, would be a GIANT red flag to me. Good luck to your daughter. I will say if it's a campus feel your daughter is looking for, I'm not sure that any city school will really fit that bill.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:

My DD is a freshman at Marymount and loves it.  While she is considering auditioning for some professional positions, she would not consider leaving Marymount for another school.  She's very happy there... she feels like she's grown so much in the one short semester she's been there... she loves the environment, the people she's met, the faculty and staff... and she LOVES being in NYC.

They do M-F classes in Modern and Ballet, but there is no pilates or yoga as part of the curriculum... although I have seen that they offer some yoga classes on the campus that, I believe, are free.  Just as dancermom128 said, if there is not daily ballet offered in a BFA dance program I would be concerned.  Also, it is definitely NOT a traditional campus, NYC is the campus.  So if that's what she's looking for then Marymount is not the place.  NYC is also very expensive to live... DD had the lowest meal plan and it only got her half way through the semester.  So I ended up sending her LOTS of money for day to day expenses.  I'm hoping this will tapper off as she learns to budget a bit better... but it has been a pretty costly semester in the mean time.

As far as the level of training... I believe it is exceptional.  I've seen clips of the performances and they look like professional dancers.  Even the student choreographed pieces are stunning.  So I do believe the training is excellent.
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 

Based on everything you mentioned, I would also take a look at Montclair State.  It seems to fit the bill based on what your dancer is looking for.

Good luck to her!

Dancergirlmelody

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Belhaven University offers an excellent BFA and MFA program. Choreography is a particular strength. They offer both ballet and modern 5 days a week as well as dance academic courses like kinesiology and dance history which help a dancer become more well-rounded. I graduated from Belhaven in May.
NYFamily

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Has she looked at the Hartt School in CT? My sense is that it's quietly amazing and because it is small gets overlooked. Two outstanding dancers from our area have gone there and it's on my daughter's list as well. I have my fingers crossed! It's a very rigorous dance program and also has a traditional college campus which we like a lot. On paper it seems ballet-heavy but in talking to the dancers there the program has a contemporary focus. From what I can tell the kids get a lot of personalized attention and their alumni go on to great things. 

kimberlyschmitt

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifecta
My daughter is a Soph BFA at Marymount and is not returning next semester. She is not happy with the program. She had already submitted transfer applications when a professional opportunity came about that was too good to pass up. She will still attend the audition for one school just to keep the door open in the future but as for now her new contract goes through December. I am hoping she will continue in another program that fits her goals in the future. Good luck to your daughter. I hope she finds a good fit.

My daughter just finished her freshman year at Marymount and is also not happy with the program.  We keep asking her to reconsider because of all the city has to offer her, but she really, really misses ballet. 

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
What doesn't she like about the program?
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
@kimberlyschmitt, can you discuss why it is not a good fit for your daughter? My daughter is a rising senior and will be pursuing a BFA and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the process, especially, if you will, about what signs you may have missed about fit? It is really difficult to narrow down exactly what will work. Thx[smile]
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFamily
Has she looked at the Hartt School in CT? My sense is that it's quietly amazing and because it is small gets overlooked. Two outstanding dancers from our area have gone there and it's on my daughter's list as well. I have my fingers crossed! It's a very rigorous dance program and also has a traditional college campus which we like a lot. On paper it seems ballet-heavy but in talking to the dancers there the program has a contemporary focus. From what I can tell the kids get a lot of personalized attention and their alumni go on to great things. 

Just stumbled on this comment and very glad to read it!  We met a Masters candidate from there and now my DD7 is doing a summer intensive right now for 3 weeks.  I looked at their program, and the staff and it seems good (coming from someone who DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING) - but yet I don't hear it mentioned at all.    Glad to hear some talent is coming from there.  From what we have experienced and seen in the last 2 weeks is quality instruction, high caliber teachers and my daughters personal progress is measurable.  Certainly not anything that quantifies the College experience but I was excited to read this... [smile]

DW4CAW

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Can anyone tell me how long it take to get a BFA when they are a transfer student who already has their AA?  College she is attending only has her for 15 credit hours coming up.  Ridiculous, averages 3 hours a day.  All that money for that.  That is $1,100 a credit hour.  She should be able to get it done in 2 years, 73 credits she needs.  I think this college is milking us for more money making it last longer.

dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW4CAW
Can anyone tell me how long it take to get a BFA when they are a transfer student who already has their AA?  College she is attending only has her for 15 credit hours coming up.  Ridiculous, averages 3 hours a day.  All that money for that.  That is $1,100 a credit hour.  She should be able to get it done in 2 years, 73 credits she needs.  I think this college is milking us for more money making it last longer.

That all depends on the program. If it requires 8 semesters of dance classes, its not going to shorten the program in terms of years, but they should have their gen ed requirements about finished up, so could take lighter loads each semester. If they require 6 semesters of dance classes, it could shorten it by a year.

15 credit hours is an average load for a college student. Credit hours assume 1 hour of class time and two hours of homework/lab time per class, so 15 credit hours actually equals 45 hours of work per week for an average student. At my son's school, 12-18 is full time and the base tuition (more than $1100/credit hour, ugh) covers that, they need permission to take over 18 and it's only granted for the final two semesters if they just need an extra class to finish up their degree without adding another semester.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
15 credits per semester is perfectly normal. In order to get 73 credits in 4 semesters you'd have to take 18.25 credits each semester. At my DD's school (BFA Dance Major) the max you can take is 18 credits per semester before being billed extra. I think it's pretty tough for someone coming in with an AA to get a BFA in only 2 years.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Typically arts majors can't graduate early because they're required to take four years of arts classes that can't be doubled up on along with classes that can't be taken concurrently.  Now if she came in with arts credits that they're allowing her to transfer and count as early years courses then perhaps she'd be able to graduate early.

In that case it seems like the best thing to do would be for her to find a helpful minor or double major (like business business) to fill up the classes that she doesn't need to take because of the classes she's already taken (assuming they transfer in).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.