Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
threegirlpileup

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Really, I think it comes down to finding a program that has sufficiently rigorous dance training—which seems more likely but not guaranteed in a BFA program. Definitely it’s important to look at each program individually. Agita indeed!
mom2ztl

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #27 
I wanted to throw out Ohio University's honors tutorial program.  https://www.ohio.edu/honors/

It's a pretty unique program where the student works with a tutor to create a customized degree (no general ed requirements).  The website does a better job of explaining it than I can! Anyway, a BFA in Dance is one of the degrees available under the honors tutorial umbrella.  I would say one of the dance department's strengths is choreography (they are definitely not in the business of producing ballerinas).

My daughter is a student there - I'm happy to answer questions via P.M. if anyone has any.

Good luck - I agree with everyone who said they really have to visit and experience the schools to form their own opinions.
threegirlpileup

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ztl
I wanted to throw out Ohio University's honors tutorial program.  https://www.ohio.edu/honors/

It's a pretty unique program where the student works with a tutor to create a customized degree (no general ed requirements).  The website does a better job of explaining it than I can! Anyway, a BFA in Dance is one of the degrees available under the honors tutorial umbrella.  I would say one of the dance department's strengths is choreography (they are definitely not in the business of producing ballerinas).

My daughter is a student there - I'm happy to answer questions via P.M. if anyone has any.

Good luck - I agree with everyone who said they really have to visit and experience the schools to form their own opinions.

Thanks, I’ll have a look!
UNC-Greensboro (in-state for us) similarly has a residential college program that can help it feel like a smaller school, as well as a strong dance department.
NYFamily

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Hi! I've also heard great things about Ohio. And Michigan.

One of mine is pining away for Purchase. Decent academic core classes. Coming from a small studio, classes seem huge when we've toured. I want her to settle on a program that she "fits" and feels like she can be happy there for 4 years. 

Have heard not-so-great things about Chapman. Someone on another site suggested we look at Dean College in Massachusetts for dance. 

Just want to also add that the college experience is often what you make of it. The large, big name programs may just have good PR but might not actually be the training your kid needs. Just because a dancer is on So You Think...doesn't mean that the school is what made her. Often it;s the grit and luck of the dancer more than the training. 
dancelivelovelaugh

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

My dd's not doing the college thing so I have little to add here... but this recent turn in the discussion brings me back to much of what we've heard from her friends/friends' moms who have/are going this route.  How many of them have been disappointed by the intensity of the training/quality of the instruction offered at some colleges.  Just something to think about beyond the number of classes offered per week, I guess.  Not that I have any idea how you can accurately assess that since one person's 'great' can be another person's 'ugh'.  It's all in what you're used to, I suppose.  But definitely something to think about.  Good luck to all those in the midst of the process.  I get stressed out just listening to some of my dancemom friends  lol.

What route is your dd doing?
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancelivelovelaugh

What route is your dd doing?

Straight to auditions.... classical ballet.  She turns 18 next month.  The fun begins next yr 😉
fishoutofwater

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by threegirlpileup

My dd has been repeatedly told that if she wants to teach (she does), a BFA is a much better credential.  That being said, I'm sure there are BA and BFA programs that are exceptions to that rule.

One of my dd's beloved teachers was really encouraging us today to look at Sarah Lawrence, which offers an MFA but the undergrad degree is a BA (as are all degrees from that college).

Did you check out Sarah Lawrence?  Thoughts?
threegirlpileup

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #33 
We’re visiting over spring break!
fishoutofwater

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by threegirlpileup
We’re visiting over spring break!

Please come back and give an update if you can.  I see they have a Dance Therapy program and that's of interest to my daughter (just a high school freshman) at the moment.
threegirlpileup

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoutofwater

Please come back and give an update if you can.  I see they have a Dance Therapy program and that's of interest to my daughter (just a high school freshman) at the moment.

Hi fishoutofwater,

Just wanted to let you know that we decided not to visit Sarah Lawrence after all--upon further investigation, there just wasn't enough technique class in their schedule for my dd.  As best we could tell, dance majors take ballet 2x/week and modern 2x/week plus some optional electives.  There are other classes that involve moving--choreography, improv, anatomy--but not as much technique class as my dd is looking for.

Also, there is that $65K price tag! [eek]

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.