Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
My3girls357

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So I made my daughter an octopus headpiece using a small pillbox size hat as the base- the tentacle are a little tall and the hat is a little heavy- now I’m not sure how to attach it to her DD’s head- I read somewhere that someone used elastic, but did not use under the chin- how would that work?-I also read about sewing and I guess I have been lucky we have never had a hat that required this so I’m not sure how exactly that is done😔- I’m super nervous as there is tumbling - any help would be great! TIA- P.S. I didn’t know how to upload a picture, so I set my profile pic to a picture of the headpiece, so you could have a better idea as to what might work 😂
threegirlpileup

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Could you glue/sew a clear comb on the inside of the hat, in the center front, to help secure it?

Another option would be gluing or sewing strips of horsehair and putting pins through/across the horsehair to secure the headpiece.

You could also sew/glue small loops around the edges using ribbon the same color as her hair and put pins in those.
Lorax

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I would suggest that you sew in a few of the legs, use a large needle and embroidery thread that matches the color and just loop the thread through a good sized section of hair then over the leg, repeat and knot securely; don't forget to bring small scissors to remove when finished.

You could also try a little velcro, the scratchy side, attached to the underside of the hat. It will help stabilize but it is the sewing that is going to keep it in place. 

Depending on the dancer, and the amount of tumbling, you may want to just use that hat for pictures and make another lighter head piece, something that does not have the hat and is based off of an elastic that can fit securely around a bun... and even then I would still sew on the legs.
Rebelina

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
You can sew the “eye” part of hook and eyes around the perimeter of the hat and then put bobby pins through them to secure to her hair. We often do that with any costumes that require a hat and it works great!
MimisMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelina
You can sew the “eye” part of hook and eyes around the perimeter of the hat and then put bobby pins through them to secure to her hair. We often do that with any costumes that require a hat and it works great!

My daughter had a cupcake headpiece last year and that’s exactly what we did. Make sure to criss cross the bobby pins over each other so they keep the piece from wobbling.
mom24

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I just want to throw out a word of caution.  Tumbling on bare unfamiliar floor is a risk that many of us take.  Add in a heavy headpiece, and you are adding a LOT of risk.  That could really change her balance / tumbling.   If that headpiece moves while she is in the air, and she suddenly can't spot the floor, you could really end up with a terrible accident.  It sounds adorable, but I would probably rethink it.  
Lorax

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Good point, mom24, and definitely not something you want to learn the hard way. I'll remember this comment for a long time. Thank you.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.