Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
LittleMonkeyMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD is almost 12 and tall & slender for her age.  We have always bought Motionwear leos (per studio preference), but the fit is not great at this point.  Adult smalls are not long enough, but adult mediums are way too wide.

Can anyone suggest another brand that might be a better fit?  It is a 45 minute drive to the nearest dance store (and prices there are outrageous!), so I prefer to order online if possible and size charts are not always super helpful ...

Thanks in advance!
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
do you have an academy sports near you?  they have a store brand that I used to by my skinny mini.  also the capezio brand they carry was really good for her.
rubydancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My DD is 11.5, tall and thin. Balera youth large is a good fit for her, as it has a longer torso than other brands. Their stuff is available through Dancewear Solutions. There is still room for growth on her in the width, but not so bad it is bagging at all. In Natalie dancewear, she is an adult small, and those also fit nicely, but she prefers the Balera, and so do I for the price. [wink]
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
LittleMonkeyMom, my dd has a similar build.  She has finally found a brand that fits her perfectly in nearly every style.  I'm worried about getting flamed (because they are Yuminko copies) but Mariia leotards from Discount Dance fit my dd best.  For comparison, my dd is 5'8'' 118 and wears an adult medium in that brand.
.::Boo::.

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Some of the Motionwear leotards come in what they call a long torso. Its where you get an extra 2-3" in the length, but the width doesn't get any wider. My DD has had good luck with those.
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD basically has the opposite body type, but I can agree with the Balera and Mariia leos! They have a lot of length, so I would check those out! DD loves her Balera leotards.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My daughter loves the Marria leos from DD.  The one motionwear leo she wore (because it was dress code) was terribly ill fitting.

I only buy camisoles if they have adjustable straps, I think it's as much the style of leo as the size.  Tank and cap sleeve leos just fit her better than camisoles do.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
LittleMonkeyMom, my dd has a similar build.  She has finally found a brand that fits her perfectly in nearly every style.  I'm worried about getting flamed (because they are Yuminko copies) but Mariia leotards from Discount Dance fit my dd best.  For comparison, my dd is 5'8'' 118 and wears an adult medium in that brand.

Why would you get flamed for that?
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Beccasmom, I love Mariia leotards! But some people think they are inappropriately close knockoffs of Yumiko leotards. Doesnt matter to me though. The real Yumiko dd has isn't long enough.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Yumiko is not the first for all of their designs either. Jalie patterns has had similar designs for a long time prior to some of the current Yumiko designs that look awful similar. I suggest finding someone who can make you custom leos. My daughter has the same problem. We do custom leos made with Jalie patterns. 
LittleMonkeyMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Thank you for the suggestions!  Our dress code is very strict & requires specific color leotards (solid colors only) for certain technique classes, so Mariia is not an option (but dd does have some of their crop tops & shorts & loves them!), but I will take a look at Balera for sure. 

Thanks everyone! [smile]
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
Beccasmom, I love Mariia leotards! But some people think they are inappropriately close knockoffs of Yumiko leotards. Doesnt matter to me though. The real Yumiko dd has isn't long enough.

Well, that's kinda silly. Knockoffs are everywhere in the world of fashion and not everyone can afford the price tag of Yumikos, either. (not calling you silly, just that some people feel that way).
threegirlpileup

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Body Wrappers has leos that come in a tween/junior size range. I found them to be great for my slender girls at 10-12.
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
My DD is very slim too. At that age the Natalie brand in P (their extra small) was a good fit. Child large and xl were always too wide in the waist and too short in the girth.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I cannot recommend a specific brand, but I do have a long-torsoed dancer.  We always buy leos to fit her girth, then alter to fit.  She is an AM in most brands, but in some she is an AL and just does not fill out the top, so we alter.  Most alterations are fairly simple even for this sewing challenged mom!

DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Balera and the Motionwear long torso.    My DD is 12 and is almost 5'6 with a long slender build as well.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: