Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello fellow dance Moms/Dads!  My name is Cindy and I am in Burlington County New Jersey.  I am a resident in Browns Mills and our community is hugged by Fort Dix/Maguir AFB.  It is a 68 square mile township with very little recreation.  The closest dance school is a 30 minute drive and unfortunately many in our community struggle to meet their basic needs, let alone recreational activities.  Well, a community woman started giving free lessons at the PineBarrens Family Success Center in the summer two years ago.  The response was amazing, but the facility was way too small.  A local church was found but she needed to pay for space rental and started charging monthly tuition of $25.00 per month which is SUPER cheap, but even with such a low tuition, there are so many that couldn't afford to attend.  The two teachers are 100% volunteers and all monies collected are to pay for the rent and to provide leotards or tuition for those who can't afford it.  So a bunch of women got together and started yard sales and donating all proceeds to Basic Steps.  We sponsor several girls to attend and managed to secure used costumes and even put on an amazing recital!  Each girl was given a costume to wear, a friend in production provided a sound system and we made enough in yard sales and ticket sales to pay for a facility to hold the recital.  Every thing went great.  However, we really need some teachers helpers.  If anyone in the Burlington/Ocean County area is interested in helping teach these girls, we could use the assistance.  Teens who have dance experience would be great!!!  Classes for Ballet 1, 2, Tap and our newest teen group are all held on Saturdays at the Friendship AME church on Lakehurst Road.  If anyone would like to assist in any form, please email with ideas or questions.  For info, you can private message me directly @ 609-488-0068. Although I am not a dancer myself, my adopted twins have been taking tap lessons at Basic Steps and absolutely love it.  I plan on finding a studio for my girls to advance but also intend on helping this Program remain in operation, it most definitely opens the art of dance to those who have never been able to afford it.  Also, they allow any foster child in care to attend free of charge, so I think that in and of itself is amazing! -Cindy Boggess
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.