Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What types of roles are given at the BalletMet nutcracker for children? My daughter is 10 and under 4'9". And were the rehearsals on Saturday or Sunday? Her audition is on Friday but at this point, with everything else we have going on, I'm wondering if it's worth it...
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My dd was a trainee at BalletMet 4 years ago and was in Flowers and Snow.  Clara was a Company member, but kids were cast as party kids, mice, and soldiers and small angels. They have a different director now and the school has changed, so not sure if it will be the same.  
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
DD17 was in it six years ago in Detroit. Clara and some of the boy party guests were company members. Local kids were cast as party guests, mice, soldiers, pages, Angels and mother gingers children. I do remember that not everyone who auditioned was cast. Once the dancers are chosen, a lot of the roles are determined by size as they already have costumes that dancers will need to fit into. I remember that the tallest kids were cast as soldiers. There were rehearsals Saturday and Sunday for approx two hours. Ours were at the Opera House. It really helped that a few others from DDs studio were also cast so we could carpool. Was it worth it? I think so. DD does not attend a ballet only studio and will not dance after high school. So this was a unique opportunity for her. DD learned a lot about being in a professional production and working with different teachers. The cast, young and old, were mostly really friendly and nice to DD. Did she become a better dancer? Not markedly. But that isn't why she auditioned. I don't think we had to pay any fees to participate. We were also given a nice discount on tickets to all shows for our friends and family and free, reserved parking which was great on football Sundays.

I didn't know the director had changed. We go to the Nut every year. Ballet Met has been in Detroit for the past six years. The production we see has not changed.

Let me know if you have any other questions. My only other advice would be that there are no photos available to purchase. But the kids can have phones backstage. Have your DD get pics then. Not every dancer gets to be in the parade after.

Best of luck
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Were the parts dancing parts or more of an "extra" on the stage? 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I think this is the 4th year with the current artistic director as I think ballerinamom13's dd was there his first year.  My dd is a current trainee but does not know if she will be part of the Detroit crew yet. They are doing the same Nutcracker still, same costumes, same parts, etc. There's been some talk of a new Nut in the future, but nothing has changed yet. 

The parts are dancing parts, same parts done locally in Columbus by children at the BalletMet Academy. 
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
I didn't know the director had changed. We go to the Nut every year. Ballet Met has been in Detroit for the past six years. The production we see has not changed. Let me know if you have any other questions. My only other advice would be that there are no photos available to purchase. But the kids can have phones backstage. Have your DD get pics then. Not every dancer gets to be in the parade after. Best of luck

That's true - DD got to travel to Detroit also and they had local kids from Detroit, and local kids from Columbus.  The kids that were cast actually danced when I saw it.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
I think this is the 4th year with the current artistic director as I think ballerinamom13's dd was there his first year.  My dd is a current trainee but does not know if she will be part of the Detroit crew yet. They are doing the same Nutcracker still, same costumes, same parts, etc. There's been some talk of a new Nut in the future, but nothing has changed yet. 

The parts are dancing parts, same parts done locally in Columbus by children at the BalletMet Academy. 

Let me know if your DD will be in Detroit. We already have our tickets.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew
Were the parts dancing parts or more of an "extra" on the stage? 

Like tendu mom said, they were all dancing parts. Definitely not just props. The pages are the youngest ones and get a very simple dance but it is still a dance and very charming.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Will do! She is learning Snow and Flowers this week. She has to get picked for both of those in order to even possibly go to Detroit. She's already cast as a lead angel and maid in the party scene. At least you have a concept of what those parts are! I am clueless except the little that she's told me. 

Dh and I are thinking we might go at the end of the run in Columbus, see the show and bring her home for a few days. [smile]
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:

Mr. Liang came after Nut was over the year dd was at BalletMet. If I remember right, he took over during the spring so dd was there for just a short part of his first year.  DD went to OBT for summer that year and has been there ever since.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
@momcrew, if you look on BalletMet's youtube page, there are a few videos that may give you a brief glimpse into the dancing. You can at least see the children in the party scene to get an idea. I just looked myself, out of curiosity. [smile]
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you, everyone! Small dancing parts are good, I just didn't want to invest the time for her to stand there and be a filler [wink]
Lpr3

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
We're also in Columbus. Where does your daughter train? Wondering if my daughter might be interested in trying out next year but was worried about conflicts with current competitive team with rehearsals.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Lpr3, momcrew is in the Detroit region, based on when her dancer was auditioning. The Columbus auditions were actually earlier. Right now, rehearsals are just Saturday afternoons. That will change to Saturday and Sunday eventually.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Yes, we are in Detroit. Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. She ultimately decided to not audition this year which was a relief to me. I think the experience would have been cool but she's scheduled for Saturday rehearsals for the next few weeks for her comp teams so I was concerned the rehearsal schedules would conflict. 
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Jumping in late. Dd15 auditioned on a last minute whim with 3 of her studio mates and they all got a part. We are also in the Detroit area. Dd is an angel and is thrilled to be on stage with the ballerina who is Clara.

The audition was very height dependent and since dd15 is petite, she was too short for soldiers or mother ginger. So far, rehearsals are Saturday and Sunday for at least an hour each day. We are allowed excused absences within reason, of course. For example, some girls have homecoming and they granted an excuse as long as we bring some photos to share [smile]. Otherwise, they expect you to make all rehearsals.

Everyone has been very nice and the experience has been good, seems well run, and positive for the dancers. We've been to balletmets nutcracker before, so we are excited to see dd perform this time.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
That's great to know, Mittenmom!! We'll definitely keep it in mind for next time. Our studio does a nutcracker every other year so it will be 2018 before we can consider it again [wink]
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Will do! She is learning Snow and Flowers this week. She has to get picked for both of those in order to even possibly go to Detroit. She's already cast as a lead angel and maid in the party scene. At least you have a concept of what those parts are! I am clueless except the little that she's told me. 

Dh and I are thinking we might go at the end of the run in Columbus, see the show and bring her home for a few days. [smile]

We will be there for the Sunday matinee. Any updates for your daughter?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
She isn't traveling to Detroit unfortunately... Or fortunately for her as it would have been difficult to manage with her college schoolwork. I think she will be doing 4 or 5 different parts in Columbus, but none in Detroit.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
After action report on the nutcracker as the performances were this past weekend. We felt it was a great experience and would do again. Tendumom, too bad your dd wasn't in detroit this time.

The costumes were absolutely gorgeous. Dd15 was an angel and it was a magical part. Perfect for her, I think. They were on stage with Clara quite a bit and dd said she was extremely friendly to them. Telling them good job, good luck, etc. during the performance. Dd shared a wing with Clara at one point and was over the moon that she chatted with her [smile]. The mouse king was also great with the kids and many got photos with him before he boarded the bus for home.

Tech week was a long couple of days, but we expected as much. I'd say driving downtown was the toughest part. You just never know about the traffic. One accident along the interstate can add 30-45 minutes.

Dd made lots of new friends, got some great photos, and was very happy with the experience. She said that ballet met will not be in detroit next year. Cincinnati ballet is doing it instead. Same deal but the height max is 5'7". No issue for dd, but might be for her studio buddies who are taller.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittenmom3
After action report on the nutcracker as the performances were this past weekend. We felt it was a great experience and would do again. Tendumom, too bad your dd wasn't in detroit this time.

The costumes were absolutely gorgeous. Dd15 was an angel and it was a magical part. Perfect for her, I think. They were on stage with Clara quite a bit and dd said she was extremely friendly to them. Telling them good job, good luck, etc. during the performance. Dd shared a wing with Clara at one point and was over the moon that she chatted with her [smile]. The mouse king was also great with the kids and many got photos with him before he boarded the bus for home.

Tech week was a long couple of days, but we expected as much. I'd say driving downtown was the toughest part. You just never know about the traffic. One accident along the interstate can add 30-45 minutes.

Dd made lots of new friends, got some great photos, and was very happy with the experience. She said that ballet met will not be in detroit next year. Cincinnati ballet is doing it instead. Same deal but the height max is 5'7". No issue for dd, but might be for her studio buddies who are taller.

So glad to hear that your DD had a great experience!! I have seen it every year that they have been in Detroit. A few changes in choreo this year. And the quality of dance I saw was markedly better than what I have seen in prior years. They must be doing something right!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Can't wait to see it in Columbus! She is a nanny in the party scene (and I hear she makes them laugh in rehearsals), Arabian, a lead angel, and a flower. 

They only took 4 trainees with them to Detroit this year.  I am pretty sure they took more last year.  I had not heard that they were not going back next year. That's too bad though Dd likely will be elsewhere next year anyway. 

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Can't wait to see it in Columbus! She is a nanny in the party scene (and I hear she makes them laugh in rehearsals), Arabian, a lead angel, and a flower. 

They only took 4 trainees with them to Detroit this year.  I am pretty sure they took more last year.  I had not heard that they were not going back next year. That's too bad though Dd likely will be elsewhere next year anyway. 

Have fun!!!  Let us know how it goes.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: