Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
misshaley

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What's up! I'm a ballet teacher, trying to create more resources for dance moms. I want dance moms to be able to better support their dancers, and be able to help them without being a "helicopter stage mom." [smile]

I'm always looking for suggestions! My blog is called Beyond the Barre [smile]
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I have a question:

My DD11 had x-rays of her hips and structurally they are fine.

However, her turnout is not very strong. Do you think physical therapy might increase her turnout?

She does exercises at home, albeit not every day, to help. Yet, I don't see much progress.
misshaley

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Phx115, I'd love to learn more about your dancer. How many hours a week does she do ballet? What kinds of stretches and exercises does she do? does she have range of motion (flexibility) but no strength to maintain the position, or is she physically unable to turn her legs out very far?
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Just a dancemom chiming in here. . I have a 15 year old dancer at a Pre Pro ballet school.  My experience has been that turnout takes years!!  She does exercises dedicated only to turnout about 3 days per week (They take 30 min/day).  She has average natural turnout.  Recently she worked with an MAT person (muscle activation technique) and reports this to be very very useful, done right before class.

Also does Pilates on the machines 3-5 times per week

Also,  most dancers warm up their turnout before class
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.