Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Those who have made the switch to ballet school and the majority of your dancers spend their time there...do they take their other genres at ballet school or do they go to a competition studio to take jazz and contemporary?I know my daughter wants to take modern at ballet school but we were thinking she would take jazz and contemporary at another studio. Thoughts? Or do they only do ballet? My daughter isn't going to be a pro ballerina but is working toward getting into a university's dance program.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
DD has been at a ballet school for the last five years.  The first two years she also took classes at more local schools, going to the ballet school two or three times a week.  Her school doesn't offer the same electives every year, with the exception of character and jazz.  For the last 3 years she's had modern and this year she has contemporary as well.  There were two years that tap was offered and she took that as well.

Some years the other genre training was great, other years just ok.  

That being said, there are some other schools we are checking into that do offer high quality jazz, modern, contemporary and even hiphop along with their ballet program.  It seems to depend on the philosophy of the director.  

Its always cheaper, in my experience, to take all of the dance classes at one school.

Perhaps your daughter can take a few trial classes this spring in the other genres at her new school to see if they will be a good fit.  I don't know your daughter's age, but focusing on ballet only for a year or two would not be a tragedy for my daughter, who's had exposure to good jazz and contemporary and is only 13.  
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
When dd initially made the switch, she took all her classes at the ballet school. In addition to ballet and the typical ballet extras like character, pilates and stretch, the also had weekly modern, jazz (Broadway style), hip hop, tap, ballroom and flamenco. With the ballet schedule (and my wallet), it was not possible to take all of those, but she did take jazz, hip hop and modern most years.  

Later on, she added a little more hip hop at a hip hop school, just one class a week usually in a specific style of hip hop. 

Her next ballet school had a curriculum that included modern/contemporary but not jazz. While she was there, she took jazz and tap elsewhere. 

If the ballet school your dd is looking at has jazz and contemporary or modern, she should take those classes there. Chances are the modern she will get there will be closer to what they do in college anyway. Contemporary in a ballet school can be different than in a comp school as it can be more of contemporary ballet mashed with modern than contemporary jazz. Modern may be closer to what she is looking for. At dd's first ballet school, they had different styles of modern through out the years so that they were introduced to Horton, Limon, Graham, Cunningham, etc. It's given her a very solid base at the next level. 
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
When DD first started taking ballet at the ballet school it was a supplement to her training at the comp school.  For the couple of years she was strictly dancing at the ballet only school she took ballet, modern, character, floor bar, and yoga.  Those were the required classes for her level.  The only other class the ballet school offered was jazz, but DD refused to take jazz there because it was really bad.  So, for the couple of years that she was at the ballet only school, she didn't take anything outside the standard ballet curriculum.  Ultimately I think that's what caused her to go back to the comp school, she missed jazz, tap, hip hop, acro, etc.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
When we first switched to the ballet school, DD also went twice a week to a competition studio with her sister and took jazz, hip hop, lyrical, and musical theatre and was in 4 competition dances.  Since then there just is no time as she wants to spend as much time at the ballet school as possible when training for YAGP.  Her ballet school also has a jazz class, modern class, and hip hop class once a week so she takes those there.  

She does go to another studio that's close to us for one morning a week because she's doing a Cinderella ballet performance through that school.  And it's also through there where she's supposed to go on that Brazil trip.  Which the passport came this week. . . [smile]
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith

That being said, there are some other schools we are checking into that do offer high quality jazz, modern, contemporary and even hiphop along with their ballet program.  It seems to depend on the philosophy of the director. 

I'm surprised that's not more common.  There is so much choreography that asks dancers to adapt to different movements and styles. They may be dancing Swan Lake one month, but something much more jazzy or modern the next. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I agree with Dave9988. That was one of the things that attracted us to that particular ballet school. Their philosophy was that in order to prepare the ballet dancers of the next generations, they needed to be able to move in a variety of styles. Modern/contemporary and jazz were actually a requirement for the advanced students in the conservatory ballet program, but available at other levels as well. They even had acting, but that conflicted for dancers at the highest levels. But, they would bring in the acting teacher to coach the full length ballets and they did get acting in the summer (mainly non-verbal)

Other ballet schools are just too small to offer other genres and in some areas, there may not be quality teachers to offer those classes. At dd's ballet school, they used the same criteria to hire the teachers in other genres. You would not find someone without professional experience teaching those classes or someone who had never taught before. 
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My daughter's school does teach all other genres. The jazz is going to be more Classic/Broadway style jazz than the commercial jazz seen on the convention scene. And I agree that Modern will be a great change for her and more what she would do in college. I think these classes along with Master Classes and the Conventions we will travel to should meet her needs.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: