Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
rain

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 

We’ve moved to Seattle and I’m looking for a recommendation for ballet school for DD.  She is 10, and was taking ballet twice a week prior (1.5 hr each).  I know that Pacific Northwest Ballet school is the most well-known in the area.  However, I also want to consider other schools as well, especially that PNB requires an audition.  (How selective are they?)    

We are living in Capitol Hill/Central district.  I have heard of Cornish and Spectrum, but not able to get a lot of feedback or online review (I don’t know any parent of a dancer).  It would be great if any of the Seattle moms can share feedback on all 3 schools or recommend other schools in the area. 

Thank you very much! 

Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I am in the Seattle area but my kid is a comp kid so not super ballet focused.  I really don't know anything about the three you posted.  I thought of two other places you might look into,  Evergreen City Ballet and British Dancing Academy.  We don't really see much ballet at competitions so looking through old programs won't really help much.  Allegro Performing Arts Academy in Kent, and The Surge Dance Center in Lake Tapps both have good ballet teachers but are comp studios that would be quite a drive for you.
Sarahbearsmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
PNB is definitely the best out of the bunch for ballet.  I don't know anything about Spectrum or the Prep program at Cornish but our SO went there so I will ask her if she has any insight.  Emerald City Ballet is in Bellevue and I know they are pretty good (my daughter went there when she was 4) and it wouldn't be a horrible commute for you across 520 (depending on the time of day of course).
rain

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Julieg and Sarahbearsmom - Thank you very much for your recommendations!

I checked out the websites and they appear to be strong program with lots of variety of classes.  Unfortunately, they are a bit further away than we can manage.  

Sarahbearsmom- please let me know if your SO has any feedback on Cornish or Spectrum.  

[smile]

ballerinamom13

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #5 
Have you asked on Ballet Talk for Dancers?  You will get much more info there.
rain

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
ballerinamom13- thank you very much for the suggestion.  I'll try there as well.  
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I don't live in the area, but have friends who do. 

PNB is not terribly selective at that age at all. It's their professional division (as in 16+) that is very selective and attracts dancers from around the US and the world. I would think of that audition as mostly for placement.

rain

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you very much, tendumom.  We have to wait until the next audition opening anyway.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.