Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I posted this in BTFD too but haven't gotten a response yet so I thought I'd pick ya'll's brains too.

I am having a tutu made for my daughter's performance of Odalisque.  She is very tiny; 12 years old and 4'8".  The tutu maker is recommending a platter length of 13" but I'm thinking that might be too big and maybe 12" is better.  But honestly, I have absolutely no idea.  Does anyone have an opinion?  I'm short myself, only 5'2", so she probably will not be taller than that when she hits her growth spurt within the next year as well.  Maybe 5'3" tops.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
There are recommendations based on height. I will try to find them when I get home later.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
There are recommendations based on height. I will try to find them when I get home later.

I looked at a few different websites but they weren't consistent so I am confused.  Let me know what you think later.  [smile]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Actually just read Claudia's old post on that thread on Ballet Talk. Claudia is the expert. She owns Tutu.com. I would go with 12 based on what she said in that post. No more than that.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
I posted this in BTFD too but haven't gotten a response yet so I thought I'd pick ya'll's brains too.

I am having a tutu made for my daughter's performance of Odalisque.  She is very tiny; 12 years old and 4'8".  The tutu maker is recommending a platter length of 13" but I'm thinking that might be too big and maybe 12" is better.  But honestly, I have absolutely no idea.  Does anyone have an opinion?  I'm short myself, only 5'2", so she probably will not be taller than that when she hits her growth spurt within the next year as well.  Maybe 5'3" tops.

No advice on the tutu measurement, I would defer to what the seamstress recommends. But as far as height, my DD was the exact same size as yours at 12, up until the end of 8th grade. By the beginning of 10th grade, she was 5'4". Freshman year was a brutal growth spurt! She has crept up closer to 5'5" since then. I'm 5'1", and am tall for my family, so it was a big surprise, she towers over me and has almost caught up to her 5'6" 20 year old brother, much to his dismay. So be prepared for anything! Her current boyfriend was looking at pictures of her from 8th grade the other day and was just dying, he couldn't believe her "glo-up"!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks everyone.  I will tell her 12".  [smile]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Claudia Folt's recommendation is the 11-12" range for dancers 5' and under.  I checked my notes. [smile] Tutu.com creates custom tutus for a wide array of professional companies, pre-pro schools, youth companies and individuals (as in for YAGP and other comps). They know their stuff. (And teach great classes too!) It's possible the seamstress is not quite as familiar with the proportions for smaller dancers. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Claudia Folt's recommendation is the 11-12" range for dancers 5' and under.  I checked my notes. [smile] Tutu.com creates custom tutus for a wide array of professional companies, pre-pro schools, youth companies and individuals (as in for YAGP and other comps). They know their stuff. (And teach great classes too!) It's possible the seamstress is not quite as familiar with the proportions for smaller dancers. 

Wow thank you for that.  Yes, 13" would be way too big.  I could have probably even told her 11".
karenc

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I'm late to the party here, but thought I'd add a comment.  I wouldn't sweat it over a wider than usual tutu since it's being made specifically for Odalisque.  That particular character usually does where a wider tutu than you would ordinarily see & maybe that's what your maker was thinking.  Just a bonus that it would still look good (or better) when she grows a bit taller. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.