Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Motherhem

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #1 
I just heard about A National High school Dance Festival because there will be auditions for colleges there. It is next weekend at Point Park. When I was looking into it I found that is it only for students who are sent by their high school. No studios are welcome.

In our area, there is no fine arts dance in the public or private high schools so I was surprised by the requirement. Here, we do have football dance teams but the style is nothing like the technique required for ballet, jazz contemporary or modern. It made me wonder if having fine arts dance in high school is more common in other parts of the country? How is it where you live?
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I would assume they are talking about performing arts schools.

tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My senior daughter attends a charter school that offers a ballet or modern major. There is also a Performing Arts magnet school in our city. She did get in to the magnet, but there was not enough classical ballet offered. I know that there are other high schools offering dance as a major in Pennsylvania.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I know of two different county VoTech programs for dance in my state. There may be other. There are a small number of magnet type performing arts programs and even performing arts programs within a school. They are far and few between here, but they do exist.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
There are performing arts high schools in two of the counties that border ours, and I know of a number of others in Florida.  These are magnet programs, located in schools that serve low-income neighborhoods.  My friend's daughter recently enrolled in a charter school that has an arts focus.  She has ballet, pointe, and jazz at school.  I know the programs in the neighboring counties participate in YAGP and travel to Pittsburgh and another city (somewhere in the midwest?) for dance festivals that have consolidated auditions for numerous college dance programs.
tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I won't pretend that the 12.5 hours a week was enough for my dancer's plans to pursue a BFA. She also trains with a contemporary company for another 8 hours and rehearses choreography with their youth ensemble for 5 separate hours a week. But, her classical ballet mistress at school is a wonderful teacher who trained at the Bolshoi and receiving that training while being able to stay in a traditional school was important to her.
Motherhem

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #7 
This really cool. I didn’t know so many of these type school exist.
wvpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My daughter and her high school dance team will be there this weekend (even though all of our WV teachers are on strike her dance teacher is still taking them). My daughter does not attend a performing arts high school (don't think there is one in the entire state). She takes dance as an elective class one class period per day and is on the high school dance team. She also, of course, dances at a local studio in the evenings.
Karpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Our public high school has dancers who will be at that festival. They will be dancing a student-choreographed number. They had to audition via video. This is a public high school and not a performing arts school. Dance is a physical ed option and the dancers are a part of the extracurricular dance troupe. Mostly they dance hip hop, contemporary, jazz and a little ballet.

TinyDancerNJMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
I know of two different county VoTech programs for dance in my state. There may be other. There are a small number of magnet type performing arts programs and even performing arts programs within a school. They are far and few between here, but they do exist.

I've been wondering if these (PAHS) are worth looking into for the future.  If you have an opinion or information about local ones, I would welcome it.  I PM'd you
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.